Tomac 98 Special Comp 2003 Full Suspension

98 Special Comp

Mandomixer   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2009]
Strength:

fork, rear shock, durability

previous owner had to fix the rear triangle, but no problems for me.

Amazing bike. I have ridden this bike countless times and totally love it. My friend bought a bike for twice as much...and it does not come close. This is the greatest bike ever. 5 chilis for Tomac.

Similar Products Used: psycle Werks wild hare
olefgarp   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2009]
Strength:

light on front,very stable platform

hard to adjust brakes, too high in croch area

Great bike,floats over roots,logs and other bumps. I'm 75 and have had many bikes. This bike is a trail burner, my son-in law wants it when I expire. Not my plan. Enjoy!

Beto   Racer [Aug 19, 2003]
Strength:

Classy but not flashy paint job; Rear shock lockout, adjustable front fork travel, relative light weight, do it all!

Monitou Elite Fork flaws, bottom bracket creaks.

Father's Day gift!! The paint job is awesome, the 4" rear travel feels like independent suspension on a vehicle. The terrain in Arizona can be brutal. I was a die hard hardtail diehard, Tomac has provided me with a whole new perspective on mountain biking. I am striving to make my ride as low weight as possible for racing in the near future. When comparing the component setup to other similar bikes, the Tomac excells. If your are considering a full-suspension ride for trail and racing, try the Tomac, you won't be disappointed. One of my acquaintances said I was taking a big risk because of the lack of reviews, well dude, I took it and you are still treading water!!

Andy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

Great handling,smart spec,upgraded parts in all the right places. Decent weight for 4" travel and disc brakes. Great Fork!

Somewhat overpriced (at full retail) for a Taiwan-made frame and a few cheap components although the build quality seems to be top-notch.

Great bike!!! If you are considering this one, I highly recommend it for trail riders. I'd race on this bike with a lighter fork and wheels. This is my first experience with disc brakes so I had a few issues getting the alignment right but once it was dialed in, I'm loving them. I emailed Tomac for rear shock setup help and the guy who replied was very friendly and helpful. The Tomac-branded parts seem to be good quality, they are holding up well.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel 98, Catamount, various hardtails.
Greg Short   Racer [Jan 12, 2004]
Strength:

Super plush suspension. Reliable component package.

Just a little more rear wheel bobble then I would like, but it has a lockout when I really need it.

This bike made mountain biking fun again. I was almost ready to hang it up and become a full time roadie. I can ride this bike all day and not be beat up like I used to be. It is strong enough to handle some moderate jumping also. I would recommend this bike to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2004]
Strength:

Nimble Geometry, Plush suspension, Stiff,

Weight

After 750 miles of moderate riding, including small drop offs, lots of technical stuff, and basic trail riding, I cracked the frame where the seat tube and bottom bracket come together. I like the bike overall. It is faster than my GT was, not quite as manuverable though, not the greatest climbing out of the saddle either. I am not sure what will happen with the warranty... will keep you informed.

Similar Products Used: GT LTS 1
opie   Cross Country Rider [Jan 29, 2004]
Strength:

The bike handles well as a decender. It can handle the roots and stabilizes wet conditions. It has minimal bob when climbing and the geomoetry alows you to climb moderate angles. I find it gets tippy and I cant get far enough forward on a real grinder, but thats the trade off for a well positioned downhill ride.

This bike has been broken 3 times. It takes a long time for Tomac/Litespeed/American bicycles to get a new one. My friend who sold it to me broke 2. They did upgrade 78 to a 98 after the second. He sold it to me and now I've done the same. Drive side chain stay by the front weld. I have had this bike for under 6 months and ride twice a week tops on the mountain. I weigh about 200 lbs and ride the large

If you are a light rider, dont do drops, will sacrifice a little downhill bombproofednes(?) to lessen weight and climbing ability, get it. If you like something a little stouter with the same kind of climmbing, seek the Truth.

Similar Products Used: Ellsworth Truth, various Treks, Kona Stinky (the bomb!)
J. Renfroe   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2003]
Strength:

Good braking, excellent shifting, great suspension, good wheelset.

Weight, rotors on brakes are questionable.

This is a great bike. I have ridden a lot bikes, some better than others. I rode a 2002 Trek 6700 before, and even thought the component group was not even close, it just never felt like it handled the trail just right. This is my first dualie, so I was skeptical. For a bigger guy, not fat, just slightlt above average, the bob in the rear suspension is quite noticeable. Easily taken care of though: Use the rear lockout. Climbs like a goat then. On long descents, use the rear shock and you are in for a great ride. I got an outstanding deal on this bike from Supergo, and I will ride it till it falls apart. Oh, Julie rotors are questionable...

Similar Products Used: No other full suspension
Scott Yarosh   Racer [Sep 20, 2003]
Strength:

Suspension works great
Not too heavy for 4" travel
Good geometry for me
Good Ride

Broke at drive side chain stay (taking 3 weeks to get new rear end)
Horrible derailuer hanger
ABG never has any in stock

Great ride made a pretty light bike 24.5 with a Z2 air.
Bike has less than 1000 miles and broke ( i weigh about 165 pounds). American Bike Group never has stuff for the tomacs so you have to wait to get stuff like dereailuer hangers.

This review is for the 2002 model frame with the more square stays. They are replacing my back end with a 2003 hopefully that wont break.