Specialized Big Hit Comp 2003 Full Suspension

bighitbro   Downhiller [Aug 28, 2009]
Strength:

great frame solid as.handles great, and jumps like a dream. lol

fox van r that came with it bottoms out jumping 5 steps, and all of the components have been replaced due to breakage

i love it would recommend it to any beginner to intermediate downhill rider. love the 24 rear wheel i still have mine.

alex   Downhiller [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

i have the 02 with no big link and i still love the bike
strong as hell nimble enough to be a BIG ns bike 24" rear(love it) good welds specelized warenty

low top end speed

$ for $ this is the best bike you can get
for your friends braging to you with there m1s' take off the rear wheel and look at the inside of the horse link

Similar Products Used: isis m1 v10
Lyle Smith   Downhiller [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

lots of stuff

the pedals, seat, rear hub, fork, 6 inch rotor, grips, tires, everything else is pretty good/excellent

even though i have as much money in this bike that i could've just gotten the BH expert, i don't like too much travel in back cuz i still gotta get around ya know? besides, it looks hella sick in red with a jr T, get this bike and do everything i've done to my bike or similar, and you'll wanna marry your bike it'll be so damn gorgeous

Similar Products Used: buncha sh!t
Theo bailey   Downhiller [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

Very plush and cool paint work. It has a strong frame and excellent parts.

The best downhill bike for the money. The rear linkage is very simllar to my intense M1 and also performed as well. Top bike.

Similar Products Used: Kona Sinky 2003 , scott High Octane and Intense M1 02
dave   Downhiller [Jul 05, 2003]
Strength:

I have reviewed this previously but here's my 6 month review. The frame is strong as hell as with the rims, fork and truvativ parts. The bike hauls going downhill and is made for steep technical and twisty trails. The big hit is an ok dirtjumper and is great for freeriding. i jumped a twenty footer and it was good.

The brakes are not the best and same with the Qr20. I lost the seals on hayes twicewhile riding to a cliff and it left me brakeless and pissed. the qr20 also broke on me twice. other than that the bike is a perfect bike.

The thing is a tank. like any bike of this style it takes a good amount of money fixing parts and keeping up to date. The bike is built for all purposes. It can be DH well. hucked beautifully, dritjumped gracefully, and make urban easy. good bike for the money and plain good bike.

Similar Products Used: gemini, ac
Ryan Lackman   Downhiller [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

price. This frame is unbreakable! and the red looks awsome! The fork is smooth the rear shock is very plush. The Holzerfeller cranks can be found on much higher end bikes. The Brakes dont even compair to anything else. I really liked the stem because it was so short. my favorite this about this bike is the through axel, its extremely stiff.

pedals, turning the spring to adjust preload can be really difficult. it seems to get stuck after staying in the same spot after a while, but if you bring a piece of an old tube with you when you ride you can wrap it around and get a really good grip. the DJ2 is bottoms out on 5 1/2 foot drops without any air in it, but you can get a shock pump to fix that.

i wanted a bike that i could downhill/freeride with and still be able to go on easy xc rides with my friend. this bike is perfect for me, and anyone else that wants to get into freeriding but doesnt like pushing. if your over 140 pounds i would recommend getting a stiffer spring with the bike because the shock is really plush. this frame is so upgradable that if you ever decide to go allout downhill you can upgrade the linkage piece to get 8 inches of travel. i'm in love with this bike, it kicks ass.

Similar Products Used: none
James   Weekend Warrior [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

I have previously reviewed this bike, and I still love it! I am posting this review to ask if anyone out there has purchased the 8" upgrade kit for their Big Hit Comp? I've tried Specialized but they have sold out, please, does anyone have any advice on how or where I can get this upgrade. Indeed if anyone is selling one I'd be glad to hear from them!!

Seat, seatpost, that's pretty much it!

I want to buy an upgrade suspension kit for my Specialized Big Hit Comp - Help!
Many thanks in advance for those of you who can help me.
Regards
James

Similar Products Used: Kona, Bullit, the usual
Shannon   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing bicycle - wouldn't change a thing, and haven't managed to break anything yet.
P.S. College Cyclery rocks!!!

None - I expect a big bike to weigh a little more than some wussy little XC bike - Duh!

Don't let dorks like James from Georgia make you worry, this is a great piece of machinery. I've never been happier with a bike. Climbs and descends wonderfully - James just expects Specialized to pay for him being a dumb rider, I'd tell him to piss off too if I were them. (although I'm sure they did it nicely) Buy the Big Hit if that is what you want, I think you'll love it as I do. This is truly a great value and an outstanding all-arounder. Cheers!

Similar Products Used: Alot of other bikes - Haro's are great bikes too!
james   Downhiller [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

color brakes gears

rear swing arm shock tires wheels seat pedals grips 24" rear wheel Specialized will not honor their warranty

bought this bike broke it on a 8 foot to flat drop
what kind of a free ride bike is that???? Most people like this bike. Must be they get paid to review it. By the way a lower swing arm costs 85$.