Rocky Mountain Slayer 2003 Full Suspension

Slayer

Bubba   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2003]
Strength:

Great ride, full lockout on the fly for gettin to the dirt,stable.Marzocchi Z1 Fr forks-el bombo- Above average assemblage of components for the price As compared to others in $ range. Great company that backs it's product and won't waste your time with any warranty issues ...like some other bigger bike co's.

Rear shimano "deore" hub blew out after 50 hours, Race face "isis" bottom bracket shot to hell after 103 hours. Marzocchi Z1 Fr shock now looses approx 50 neg. lbs of pressure after a 3-4 hour ride, however they are past due service. Stock saddle ok if you aren't having kids someday

The minute I test rode this bike after..many,many..it was clear this was the cheet.
I ride 50/50 on/off road and this bike fits that niche perfectly since I don't have car to get to the dirt. I log around 40-50 hrs per week and ride pretty hard but no extreme stuff. The bike climbs like a goat and eats the downhill with confidence.The Z1-Fr Mar's are unbeliaviable. Did I say stable? Great geometery I'm 6'0-- and I can ride for 3-4 hours at a time no problem.
Despite the failure of the rear hub and bottom bracket--I love this bike- RMB not only took care of the problems immediatly but upgraded the parts for the inconvienience!Try that with other bigger names..The shop you choose also makes a HUGE difference--all bikes inevitably have problems. Pick a reputable shop. $ for $ I still believe this bike cant be beat. If you think spending 5-6 Grand on a bike will make you a great rider--think again. The curve tops out with this bike and many many big$ bikes taste slayer dust on a regular basis.

Similar Products Used: Always rode hardtails.- Marin , GT & G.Fisher- Tested & Shopped xc's for several weeks prior to purchase-
Timothy Wheeler   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2003]
Strength:

Good all around bike.

Crappy tires, Fork lockout exploded, Weak wheels.

Good riding bike. Fork lockout might as well be made by Ford (nuf said). Reliable XC bike but will melt under Freeride use. I have logged at least 300 miles on this bike with very few problems. Hayes brakes squeel when wet so just jump the rivers. I would recommend this bike for XC use but stay away if you like big drops.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale SV2000, GT Zaskar, Jamis, KHS FXT Pro.
Dan   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2003]
Strength:

Solid and stiff frame, barely feel any movement of rear suspension resulting in minimum pedal BOB, can still climb up hills even without locking out almost 5 inches of travel in the rear. The Marzocchi Bomber Z1Fr is a great fork. The 32mm stactions make a difference in stiffness. I find it easier to climb by taking advantage of the ECC 5 and "dialing it down". Fork is much stiffer in feel then the Marathon on my EST-70, for obvious reasons.

None so far. I have been out on a few rides with it and my only 2 complaints are the length of setup time it has taken to get the right "feel" of the bike with both the front and rear shocks. The other, and more annoying, is a creak that I am getting from the 3-D link area. I had a similiar problem on my ETS-70 and the LBS replaced the bushings which solved the problem. I am riding it to see if this is just a break in period annoyance or is there do I need to have these replaced as well.

As marked by Rocky, an GREAT all around trail bike that you can take in the back woods for an all day ride and not have to worry if you'll be walking home or not. I have found this bike harder to rider back to back days for extended (over 3+ hour rides) then my ETS-70 is, but that is the nature of the two bikes I think. It may also just take some getting used to the bike.

Ruben   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2003]
Strength:

Great frame: the looks, paint job, welds and handmade. The seatpost can be lowered to the max. The component choice is balanced, no real weak parts: LX/XT drivetrain, comfortable saddel and the nice raceface parts. Marzocchi Z1 FR SL is the best: stiff, plush and 130mm of travel. The rear is very sensible and plush.

The Slayer is a joy to ride!

A creaking sound in the 3D Link area: Was solved by my LBS (Bike Shop Willisau, Switzerland --> great shop). The deore brakes are good, but the rotors look cheap and they squeal when wet.

This bike is so great to ride! It seem to "surf" singletracks and loves technical stuff. The heigh BB helps to clear logs and rocks. The suspension is so plush, it eats everything you throw at it. I drive much faster than before, try out new trails and (small) jumps, the bike is so much confidence inspiring.

The slayer is very sturdy and still not to heavy. I can climb for hours with it, the forks ECC 5 helps a lot. I did a tour with an elevation change of 1800m and it was nice to drive up. Going down was even better, though!

The setup was not easy: I'm 85kg (about 190lbs) and have found my setup at 220psi rear and positive 30psi/negative 140psi in front (look at the Marzocchi Z1 FR SL reviews for more setup examples).

Value: In the US the bike has the right price, in Switzerland it would cost about $1000 more...

Who should buy this bike? If you want a "do everything" bike, if you love singletracks and technical trails and search for bike for fun but not for races, then the slayer is for you.

Similar Products Used: Previous bikes: Specialized Ground Control FSR MAX (1997) and Gary Fisher Kai Tai (2000). Rented Rocky Mountain Element and test drove many others (Specialized Enduro etc.)
Dennis Romano   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2003]
Strength:

Workmanship is outstanding. Excellent front and rear shock. Race Face and Rocky Mountain components are great. Disc brakes are immediately more powerful than XT V brakes. Wheelset is light.

The wheelset is to light for my 230 lb body weight. The tires are a poor match to the capability of the bike.

This bike is my dream bike. Once I get more time on the bike and dial in all of its capabilities, I expect it to be an outstanding riding experience. I weighed my bike at 30.5 lbs stock and with the upgraded wheels and tires it just reached 32 lbs. I feel this is a very reasonable weight increase that will be more than ready to take some hard riding for a heavy rider.

Similar Products Used: Marin Rocky Ridge and a Cannondale Super V 900.
Hale Trotter   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2003]
Strength:

Versatile and fun to ride. Can handle anything you throw at it. Climbs great for those long mountain ascents; is well balanced over jumps; flys downhill, very stable; rides right over anything in the trail, rocks logs etc; Geometry is great, 2.3 tires are so plush.

The pivot bolts have already begun rusting, and I keep bike dry and inside. not sure about the ritchey scuzzy logic headset.

I love riding this bike. It is so practical, as though they (RM) thought of everything on this one. It has made me a better rider. I was looking for a used '02 Slayer when I found this new '03 deal on mtb classifieds. I feel great having found the perfect bike, for me, at a great price.

Similar Products Used: '99 Haro escape, 2000 ellsworth Dare
Greg H   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2003]
Strength:

CANADIAN BUILT, great parts spec, perfect geometry for climbing and decending , quality in the frame construction

Tires, they don't corner well and they don't climb well

Frame contruction is second too none.The Marz. Z1 FR SL is amazing once it's set up right(190 lbs. 43 pos. 145 neg.)I was worried about climbing performance with the extra travel but it hasn't affected my climbing at all. When climbing steep paved accents I felt no bob at all as long as you make use of the clipless peddles .I felt no need to lock out the rearend on the trail,this is a very efficent design.This bike allows me to travel alot faster over rough single trak with no feed back in the suspension ,the bike just seem to surf.I can hit steep accents on the trail alot faster without being bucked off. The shimano 525 brakes are fantastic compared to the avid mech. discs I'm coming from, they have a much better lever feel, they don't squeel and you dont't have to adjust them every ride, you just leave them alone until its time to replace the pads.Busted a couple of four footers and she lands straight and true with no bottoming.This is a true trail bike, it's the only bike I will ever want or need. And concerning the saddle, it's the most comfortable saddle I've ridden on (no more girly gel pants).Anyone looking for a top quality, bomb proof, efficent, trail bike that was built with canadian love that you can pass down too your grand kids in 50 year should look no further.

Similar Products Used: Norco hard tail, Gaint nrs`
Tony   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2003]
Strength:

Plush, great fork, climbs like a goat, descends like a demon, makes me feel like i'm a better rider than I really am.

Tires swap'em for something a little more aggressive if you ride in mucky conditions like ontario in the fall. A bit heavy if your not.

This bike is an absolute blast to ride, it just rips through sections of trail that I used to have to hike. Had some problems with creaking out of the main pivot but the boys at Ollies had it sorted tout suite. I'm a clydesdale type and I don't think theres a better bike available for thumping through the forest, some of the wee'er folks might be further to go to something a bit lighter (element etc.). just ditch the jive rubber for something more appropriate. 5 flaming poops!

Similar Products Used: first full squish, used to ride a carbon fibre hardtail
Mike Z   Cross Country Rider [Dec 14, 2003]
Strength:

Strong Frame, good component spec, weight

Tires, tubes, and seat

This bike rides awesome. I did blow the tubes within the first two rides. What's with the paper thin tubes on a bike like this. I didn't care for the Hutchinson Mosquito's' they didn't last very long. The lockout failed after the first two months. Took eight days to get back from Fox. The Race Face bottom bracket failed midway through the season. A few creaks developed and some play in the main pivot at the end of the season. Other than that this bike hammers. It likes going off four foot drops. The Z1 FR SL fork handles everything I can throw at it. I especially dig the deore hydraulic disk brakes. They always feel the same and the fact that they are self adjusting is awesome. They do squeal when wet but what disk brakes don't. If you want a bike that You can be comfortable on all day this is the bike that you want.

Similar Products Used: GT I-drive
Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Dec 12, 2003]
Strength:

Nimble handling, Relatively light, good active suspension, prompt response from Rocky Mountain for likage problem, just a sweet-riding bike

Linkage problem(see bottom line)

This is a follow-up to my first post on this bike and its cold as hell in Indiana right now, giving me time to give some more feedback. This bike really rides very well. I was riding some local trails with some sharp drops and managed to push one of the bearings halfway out of the linkage. My local shop got ahold of Rocky mountain and they replaced the linkage to the upgraded 04 linkage, which has a ridge to help prevent the kind of problem I had. Hopefully it will work. This is my first FS bike and I expect things like this to happen, but you've got to find a good shop and a manufacturer to back their products.

I really like how this bike handles, I leave the suspension active all the time. I run about 185-190psi in the fox frame shock with about 12-16 clips in the rebound. When Dave at Fat Bikes fixed the suspension, he test rode it and remarked how nimble it feels and thats a good way to describe this bike. A few months ago I rode some sweet single track in Hoosier National forest, this bike handles so well and allows you to control alot of speed on fast sections. I am quite pleased, except for the two weeks I had to ride my old hard tail till it was fixed. The 04 model should be improved with the new linkage.

I see where others have cracked the stays, so I'll keep an eye on that, but obviously this is a bike which can be ridden very fast on rough terrain and anything can happen. I'll post more later if anything happens.

Obviously, having a good shop is important when you have a bike which is going to be punished. We are not going to tea parties. We're riding these kind of bikes hard, so things are going to happen. I'll still rate this bike five chilis because it rides sooo nice, which is really what matters.

I'm 6'1", 210lbs and feel this is the type of bike for a rider like me. I've got the Marzocchi ZL-1 SL FR fork setup to my liking now with 45psi in the positive chambers(there are two of them)and about 105-110 in the negative chamber. The fork just swallows up big bumps with ease. The slayer frame and 'zocs fork is a great combination. I see where RM is using a pro pedal shock and fox forks for 04 which should be an improvement.