Rocky Mountain RM7 FR 2003 Full Suspension

RM7 FR

power2rice   Downhiller [Apr 15, 2009]
Strength:

progressive suspension.

brake jack/squat, excessively heavy rear end.

overall it handles very well for single pivot. it's very plush and responds very nicely. the top tube is a bit too short which forces you to be off and behind the seat more often than i really want to be. brake jacking is very noticeable here because the pivot point is placed below the chain line. i find that pivot points placed at or above the chain line has less brake jack/squatting occurrence.

QTOW   Downhiller [Feb 27, 2009]
Strength:

evarything but the front derailor

the front derailor does not hold the chian down i went of a 5' jump with really smooth landing a the chain got caught in beetween the frame and the crank and snapped

the bike is a awsome bike for what iv'e riden just need chian gaurd.

Similar Products Used: kona stinky
Joel Draxler   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2003]
Strength:

Great componentry. Amazingly adjustable suspension. This bike will go wherever you want it to, up or down hill. Great durable paint job that looks good too.

Hayes brakes arn't the easiest hydorlics to work on but the breaking power far outweighs the stress of working on them. I have a consistent creak in the rear linkage that I can not seem to fix.

This bike rules I have ridden many other bikes like it and I haven't found one that does it all as well as this bike. Big drops, fast downhills and urban asult are all ideal for this bike. I ride with a bunch of crosscountry riders and do a lot of downhill trails with long uphill aproaches, this bike will do it all! Rocky Mountain has got the freeride/downhill scene dialed. The performance you get out of a hand built bike is unmached by any other manufactured bike. If you have the cash and you want an amazing bike that will do it all, go for the RM7, you won't regret it.

Similar Products Used: Kona Stinky Delux; Specialized Big Hit; Rocky Mountain RM6 and Switch; KHS FR1500; GT I-Drive Downhill
Branden   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

This bike has the best rear suspension feel of anything I've ever ridden. The thrustlink system gives you a super plush 7 inches of travel (slighty more when I measured it). The price isn't all that high for a bike with these parts exspecially the super t(monster was to heavy).

This bike is totally killer but, there always is a weakness. I do a lot of urban drops to flat on this thing and it has taken it's toll. The first thing to go was the upper pivot bolt on the dogbone. Since the bolt broken it killed one of the cartridge bearings. River Rat replaced the bearing for free and The local hardware store had a better bolt. The next thing that gave was the swingarm wich snapped at the main pivot. Luckily it is still under warranty and River Rat made a claim immediately. It's been 2weeks and no swingarm, I guess rocky mountain is just dicking around.

This bike is awesome, just remember if you flat landing drops something has got to give. A 7 or 8 foot flat landing with no speed can destroy ANY bike. This bike is well worth every penny.

Save the flat landings for hartails and spend your money on rims.

Similar Products Used: Hardtails, Kona Stinky
Ryan   [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

this bike is sick, strong, good suspension, solid handling, likes to drop. tough paint, components are nice (except pedals, see below)... gee, did i leave anything out?

pedals are junk... why $3000 bike with junk pedals? c'mon rocky mtn. hello..... needs stiffer fork springs, oil was significantly low from the factory, much bottoming.

this is a do it all fun bike to ride, it is my main form of transportation, i gave up my truck, and jetski for this bike. 'nuff said.

Similar Products Used: GT I-Drive, old Proflex... nothing really in this league
Down Hiller   Downhiller [Sep 01, 2003]
Strength:

Great bike for drops, jumps, etc...

Rocky mountain customer service!! With a $3500 bike you would expect to get what the company says you get>> For ex. The bike is supposed to come with a 2.5 rear tire and a 2.7 front tire, instead i got both 2.5 as well as a tube for up to 2.25!! When i called RM they said tuff &%it because their manual says specs subject to change!!Although it's not a big deal, you'd think they might say( Thats not right) and maybe find an answer for it. It just pissed me off because the guy basicaly told me " we don't know, and don't care why there're being ship differently!!
And why would they not use the right tubes for the tires!

Love the bike hate the attitude. With bikes and prices like these you'd think they try to keep people happy..
The 1 chili is for the customer service, not for the bike

Similar Products Used: Norco A-line
Paw Parrish   Downhiller [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

Feels Strong and instantly makes you feel More confident! Not Heavy at all! Pedals uphill smooth!

Maxxis HighRoller Tires! For a 4,000 dollar bike it should have some stronger sidewall tires! First ride,I had 3 Flats!

Overall if you want to invest in a Freeride Bike than the RM7 Is well worth it. Rocky Mountain Bikes are at the Top of the list in Freeride Technology just ask Wade Simmons! Believe me I'am not rich I had to work a second job But it was well worth it! Happy Trails!!!!

Similar Products Used: 2003 Switch LTD. -2002 Stinky Deluxe
Scott Clevenger   [May 19, 2003]
Strength:

Solid; Easton tubing is a plus. Beefy swing arm, improved linkage from last years rm7. This bike brings a certain confidence to me when i ride. I come from a XC background and didn't think i had the balls it took to bust like i can on the rm7. I'm still not wicked crazy or anything, but i've been busting 7 foot drops to flat and 20 foot road gaps. It pedals good too. This bike is one of the best free ride bikes on the market for sure. Plus the guys at Rocky are super nice too, which is a bonus.

I would think with the super t pro fork they would spec it with the heavier springs.

I know this bike is expensive but if you want a bike that can take some serious abuse and still work like a champ buy this bike. Why not support the guys who were in it since the beginning. It's worth the money.

jim   [Feb 11, 2003]
Strength:

feels heavy when you pick it up but rides light

rides light but feels heavy when you pick it up

Ok read all the reviews and decided to try one out on a business trip to salt lake city. As soon as I saw it I was gasping, the monster on the front of this thing was HUGE! I picked up the bike and quickly thought to myself, this is a bit heavier than my Jekyll. After about a 1-1/2 hour chat with the shop owner (cool dude by the way!) I braved a test ride. The seat post on the floor bikes were jacked so I didn?t expect much but I pedaled off to see what was up. I cranked it out and went for a manual and to my surprise the front end came up with ease I couldn?t believe it I just hung back and rode it out for a long ways! This 45 pounder was more agile than my 32-pound Jekyll and way more balanced. THIS BIKE IS THE S#%T!!!!!!!!! Now all I need is the doe!

Do you need this bike? If your reading this you do!

Rob Collins   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2003]
Strength:

40 lbs, lighter than any of the Konas, nimble DH/big drop rig.

40 lbs, but if that bugs you, you're on the wrong bike. Also, I can't imagine why Joel put the grip shifts on, everytime I launch, I have to be careful not to ghost shift. I like SRAM stuff, it seems like the rear derailleur spring is stronger than my shimano stuff. I'm going to try the SRAM triggers before spring.

The Bullitt, Heckler and ASX would be great if you only had one bike to do everything, but I've got a hard tail for singletrack. Better put, my hardtail has been spending more time in the garage as of late. I find my self constantly looking for jumps, even when I'm not on the bike. The RM-7 makes me want to ride more. I can't wait for spring at Keystone and Vail. If anyone knows of good DH shuttle rides around Denver, drop me a line, hopefully will try Apex this weekend.