Rocky Mountain Fanatik 2003 Full Suspension

Fanatik

seatrend   Weekend Warrior [Jul 11, 2009]
Strength:

Good value. Frame is high quality. pivots still good after 4 seasons. I weight 150 lbs. Strong stock wheels.

1.9 inches tire. I upgraded to 2.25

Bike is solid, I have used it with stock components for 3 years and then slowly replaced pretty much everything including the 2 Mavic 223 rims who finally gave up (2009)Geometry and handling are great. Be careful with the cable house routing as it wore through my top tube pretty badly.

Similar Products Used: Devinci Arrow
Josh Jenson   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2009]
Strength:

Bomber frame. Great value, especially at the discounted price. I've used it hard for over 3 years and havn't busted a thing. Has great feel and responsiveness

I bit heavy. Componants were not very good.

I've held off on writing this review for some time. Now it can be used for someone looking at this bike used. It's been a great first full suspension bike for me. Once I put on the Egg Beaters I feel like me and this bike are one as we fly through the woods. I'm mostly a xc rider, but I took this on some very bumpy trails out in Jackson Hole and Moab and it never failed me. I saw other xc bikes crumble on those trails. If you have a chance to get this bike you should do so in an instance, you won't regret it.

John   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2004]
Strength:

Rocky Mountain quality and attention to details. Handbuilt. Great suspension design and awesome frame. Price.

I'd like to see higher end components but for this price it's not that big of a deal. They'll hold up fine but they aren't as light and the fork and shock don't have the adjustability that I'd like but again this bike is $1400.

This is an awesome bike at a great price plus you get discs!!! You can always upgrade the parts if you want. If you're a budget-minded person in need of a nice FS ride, this is the one!!!

Similar Products Used: 2003 Trek Fuel 90(my current ride) and 2003 Rocky Mountain Carve(tested only)
Kevin   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2003]
Strength:

Great Suspension design, Rocky Mountain quality, solid component spec. Disc brakes are an added bonus.

Rock Shox rear shock.

This bike is a pretty nice ride. The only thing wrong is the Rock Shox rear shock. It just doesn't match up with the fork. If you get this bike, you'll probably want to put a new rear shock on it. (Fox float R)

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel 90, Rocky Mountain Carve
Tucker Teutsch   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2003]
Strength:

Great company with solid geometry, decent stock components, and a proven record on the trail. Easton tubes, mavic wheelset, and a lite Marzocchi fork. That's a great mix. It's pretty hard to find any other bike at this price with disc brakes. A nice little incentive on Rocky Moutain's part. Also, it's gorgeous and makes me feel all tingly just waiting to take it to Moab tomorrow.

Like I say, the components are only "decent" -- Deore, Rock Shox -- and could use an upgrade. A bit weighty, but no more than my last steel frame hardtail, and with the added bonus of full suspension. Otherwise, no weaknesses.

Okay. This is a great bike for someone like me who has ridden hardtails for a few years and is just now making the switch to full suspension. Basically, I ride cross-country year-round, but figured I'd go full because of the downhill courses I ride in the summer. My ass couldn't take it anymore.
Anyway, I decided to tear the XT rear derailleur and shifters off my old bike, along with Avid brake levers and a longer WTB stem. Plus, my badass pedals. I cleaned the bug carcasses off, put them in a bag, and hauled it all down to the shop where I bought the bike. I had them switch off the Deore components for XT, and it made a world of difference. I'm not a tech slut, either -- it just didn't feel right with the low-end Shimano parts. I saved a bit pricewise, too. I'm not really into Rock Shox, but my local shop is such that they switched off the stock rear shock for a SID upgrade for free. I guess I'm special. On-the-fly adjustment? I'll take it. Otherwise I'm still riding a Deore front derailleur. I say, ride it (and the SID) until it breaks, then upgrade.
All in all, a very good bike that gives me mucho joy. I feel like selling my car.

JmZ   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2004]
Strength:

Great Frame
Parts respectable and desireable (more on this below)

Higher base cost
Weight
Disc only frame

Bought the bike when the shop was clearing space for 2004 bikes. Already had most of the parts I was going to use for the bike so I swapped those over and then sold what was on the bike. After selling parts on Ebay - got a frame for $300 - new.

Have been riding the bike now for about a year. The frame has not given me a reason to complain, neither has the headset, or the front mech. That's about all that's left stock. The frame is the same that Rocky used for all their duallies except for the Element TSC. Can't complain about that.

I replaced a Jamis Dakar team that was a great bike - light, and flickable, but just a hair too small for me. The Rocky fit much better. It's gonna be a great woods bike!

The best points about this bike - the handling is great. It just feels like it belongs in the woods. It's just about flickable but not twitchy. The design is proven, no surprises here.

The quibbles I've got with the bike are minor. It has issues with accepting a 160mm rear rotor. It fits, but it's tight, so I went with a 140mm instead and that went away. :) Then I've had a few setup issues, but I CAN'T blame the bike.