Rocky Mountain Edge 2003 Full Suspension

Rocky Mountain Edge 2003 Full Suspension

[Oct 01, 2009]
Stinkydeluxe2004

Strength:

I have always loved Rocky Mountain Bikes: have had Hammer, Cirrus, Stratos, Altitude and now a the Edge. The bike is absolutely bomb proof. Changing the stem can completely change the feel of the bike from race ready to downhill. I re built mine with a new drive train. Some have said bb creaks and brakes rub but I have never had a problem. Very responsive. Strong enough for med sized drops and nimble enough that you can climb to the top vs having to drive it up in a truck.

A bit heavy but mostly because the frame is so well built. Mine is a 2002. Bombers are great.

Love this bike.

Have had most rockys but love the rear suspension.

[Aug 27, 2003]
crom7000

Strength:

Pretty much everything.

Its a little on the heavy side. Some BB creak already after maybe a dozen rides.

This is a very very nice bike. It replaces an old Stumpjumper that I've been riding for the last 10 years and the change is like night and day. Climbing is relatively fast, but not as crisp as on my old stump, but for a DS bike its good enough. On the downhills it does its job and the suspension has saved me in a few spots where I would have paid the price on the old bike.

The bottom line is that I can ride faster, and push my limits harder on this bike. Its NOT a freeride bike, but as a trail bike that can handle a little of everything, you really can't go wrong.

1995 Sumpjumper M2 FS Comp
1992 Trek 970

[Jun 04, 2003]
Kyle

Strength:

Tough, point and shoot geometry.

Rear travel causes the seat QR to hook the rear derailleur cable causing MAJOR issues. (cured by Zap-strapping cable to frame), Julie's rub. Left crank creaks, wont stay tight.

Other than the small issues which every bike has in its personality (ie the cable hook and creaky crank) I love this bike. I point it and it goes over what ever I point at, (2.7inch maxxis help). Geometry makes it interesting to do large logs on because it is so laid back. If I could get the Julies to stop rubbing I would have no complaints. Dont buy this bike if you are a weight weeny, its weighs a bit but think of it as durable. If you are an aggressive xc, somtimes freerider this is perfect. Be ready to swap out some stock components for one thats growl a bit. you wont be dissapointed.

[Feb 16, 2003]
Brian
Downhiller

Strength:

There are no strengths about this bike, its a piece of crap!! The first day i got this bike it had problems with the drivetrain!

The bike itself is a weakness!

If your thinking of buying this bike dont!! its a waste of money!! ive spent more on repairs for the bike than i bought it for!!

Any bike is better than this one!

[Aug 19, 2006]
john

Strength:

nothing at all

the dirt jumper 2 is a bad fork, it cannot hold air and does ride that well. fox float is good for around trails but not for drops or big jumps. stock components suck, ok for cross country.

go buy a frame that is beefy and will not break. then slowly build it up and make a great bike. the bighit frame is super strong, same with the vp free but the bighit costs less and is very durable.

specialized big hit, santa cruz heckler, santa cruz vp free

[Mar 08, 2004]
andrew

Strength:

good overall xc or dh bike.
plush suspension, simple design.
alot of bike for the money.
for a weekend warrior like myself, it lets you do all mountain riding.

it dosn't have any off hand.
4.5 inches of suspension front and back is never a weakness.

very happy with my edge, it rocks, awesome price for bike ratio.
rockey mtn has been an excellent dealer.
my friend has the rockey mtn. slayer which is the upgrade, and for the extra 1000$ its not in everybodies price range.

kona stuff, rockey mtn hammer

[Sep 17, 2003]
Chris

Strength:

The edge is a strong beast of a bike. I can go over anything, the shock once broken in is very plush and buttey. The 3D Rear is like a sofa. It climbs when I can push it. On the down hill very fast the bike save my life about 10 times.

1)Price 2)Cheap Raceface cranks and it is a little over weight at 32lbs

Great bike but the rider makes bike. I would buy another edge. Later in life.

Not a thing I rode a cannondale f900sl.

[Dec 13, 2002]
scott
Downhiller

Strength:

Fairly light, smooth ride, can climb hills, can take a beating. It's a kick-ass trail bike that does DH in its free time.

Expensive, not an RM6, only 4 inches of travel, it can't fly.

this bike is good for almost everything.

Kona Stinky, Canondale Gemini

[Jul 30, 2003]
Phat Head

Strength:

great all around bike. stiff frame. suspension soaks up big hits very well. climbs great. descends great. bombs down fireroads and singletracks very well. can take lots of abuse.

stock component group isn't the best, but still works well.

this is a great all around bike. the stock components are a little hefty but work well. the deore brakes actually work pretty well, but they just don't look so hot. this bike takes hits almost as well as my quasi moto which has more travel and a coil spring rear shock. i have had a lot of fun on this bike. i have owned and ridden alot of bikes and this is one of my favorties.

titus quasi moto, gt idrive, ellsworth truth

[Jan 13, 2003]
Dylan Wurfel

Strength:

When working properly,good all mountain bike

I had nothing but problems from day 1 with this bike.rocky mountain customer service was supposed to help and gave me nothing but false promises.Wouldn't recommend Rocky mountain to my worst enemy.

Honest to goodness my Rocky Mountain experience was a nightmare.Ya,maybe they do build some good bikes,but I got jerked around so bad buy their so called "sales management" that it was almost comical.Rocky mountain chose not to help me and ignored my issues and were willing to lose a good customer in favour of saving themselves a couple hundred bucks.If you're lookin for a new bike,save yourself alot of grief and go another route

Specialized Enduro,Trek Fuel,Giant AC