Rocky Mountain Carve 2003 Full Suspension

Rocky Mountain Carve 2003 Full Suspension

[Apr 26, 2009]
Sean

Strength:

This bike is well designed. Suspension on this bike is really nice. It tracks well and holds it own on fast bumpy single track. Lightweight I have mine at 27.5 lbs and climbs really well.

Paint sucks, decals suck, other than that no complaints.

Rockymountain bikes are awesome wellbuilt and worth the money so buy one today and get riding :)

My first Rockymountain and first full suspension

[Jun 16, 2003]
Paul

Strength:

good parts mix, great value, frame is amazing

weight-so what makes you stronger

original Deore brakes a little weak, upgraded to SD7. Other than that i don't see a reason to upgrade. life of this bike is in the frame, it is so smooth where u need it, no bob, no lock up under braking, what more is there to say. the frame is lightweight the weight comes from the parts-you can turn this bike into a sub-24 pound lightweight if you want, i just haven't seen a reason to yet. I'd reccomend this bike to anyone, Rocky's frame quality is second to none.

first full suspension

[Mar 06, 2006]
Ryan Dailey

Strength:

I love that it is hand made in Canada. I have that much more conficdence that I'm not buying a hunk of junk that was mass produced by some factory (yeah, thats a shot at Schwinn, Specialized, Trek etc.) The Geometry is absolutely perfect for anything from cross country riding to aggressive trail riding. The 3D link put together with the Easton aluminum makes a strong, lightweight rig that can be fit to just about anyone!

Everyone else complains about what comes on it, since I bought just the frame, I can't whine about the parts. I do wish there was a clear coat on top of the decals so they wouldn't get ripped off by rocks.

If you get a chance, buy this bike. It's a steal--especially since rocky mountain quit making them. You can still get some brand new too. I love this bike. Any upgrade you can imagine could go on this bike without being a waste of money. If you do any hard riding, I would recommend upgrading the rear shock to a Fox RP3 (they make one 6.5" eye to eye to fit this). I will never go back to an american made bike after riding what Canadia has to offer!! Cheers, and happy riding!!

ProFlex 757 hahahahahaha

[Mar 09, 2004]
eric muller

Strength:

Awsome setup. Handles very well at speed, and accelerates better than any bike I have riden ever

Would have liked to see an Elite on it, but it was and upgrade from the stock shock so no real complaints

For the money and the setup this was the best deal I had come across. I was in the market for a new bike for about 5 months. It is a good bike setup for trail riding and light enough for some XC racing. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on one.

[Apr 20, 2003]
Anthony

Strength:

Great front and rear shocks, nice Shimano components as well. The bike itself is very light compared to some other bikes I've looked at in the same price range. Plus the bike has snazzy looking maple leaf graphics.

Stock tires are pretty weak for the trails out in Tucson.

This is my first mountain bike, I did a lot of research about Rocky Mountain before I bought it and I've heard nothing but good things. I have yet to have any problems with it and I absolutely love the thing. My only complaint is the tires, the trails out here have lots of loose dry dirt and I found the tread to be inadequate, so my first upgrade will be a new set of tires with beefier treads. I initially was going to spend about $1,000 on a bike, but since Im a bigger guy (6'4 and 200 pounds) I figured spend the extra money for lasted durability. Bottom line, this bike rocks if you’re new to the sport or are looking to upgrade to a mid sized bike.

This is my first full suspension bike

[Feb 06, 2004]
Charlie

Strength:

Frame shape makes bike easy to handle. You can tell that the frame is made with more care than mass produced bikes. Rear shock can practically be turned off without having to get off of the bike for uphills. Bike feels solid.

The front Marzocchi shocks are too soft, but maybe I just haven't adjusted them right. Need to buy new wheels to add disc brakes. Seat tube is slightly too short I think.

This is my second Rocky Mountain bike. My other one is a hardtail, and it has got tons of use because it is so much fun to ride. Both bikes have this feeling of the rear tire always stuck to the ground like a Porsche. This bike was a bargain for $800 except that price goes up a lot if you want disc brakes.
The rear shock is a Rock Shox air shock and it is very nice combined with the suspension design. the overall rear suspension seems very durable and is quiet.
I wish I could figure out how to get the front Marzocchi shox to stay where I want them. Right now they are too mushy, but it can be adjusted with a high pressure pump, but that is a pain if you want to adjust them on a ride.
This bike gets 5 for value becuase the price and the frame is awesome and other parts that you don't like can be upgraded down the road or if they break.
Overall rating is 5 because I liked my last Rocky Mountain bike so much, I got another one, and I am expecting the same enjoyment out of this one.

This is my first full suspension bike to own. But I have tried some Treks and

[Aug 28, 2005]
Tim

Strength:

Relatively light weight, great components.

Front end. I lose a lot of power from FRONT shock bob, not the rear. Also, I found the geometry to be troublesome for me, anyway. When descending steep technical stuff, the fork would send me over the bars in the process of absorbing a rock or root. Instead of rolling over, it would just stop, no brakes involved.
The bike was stolen last week so hopefully the new "owner" will have a similar problem and break his neck.

I'm frankly surprised to see all the good reviews on this bike. Either I'm really a sucky rider, or all the others have less to compare to. (Or both).
I thought it was a decent bike but nothing to get gushy about.
Looking fwd to moving on to something else, though I'll never get as good a deal as I did on this one.

First full suspension bike I've had. Used to ride a Bridgestone MTB II. Had a Cannondale fat tube/no shox with the smaller diameter rear tire before that (an '80's model). These both handled better.

[Nov 20, 2002]
grayson mendenhall
Downhiller

Strength:

rock solid. Pedaling is great no bob whatsoever. Fox float shock rules. Comes with racface crank and shimano deore xt shifters. Can't be beat for the price. No problems going uphill on this bike. Downhill is even more fun. Very light on the 18" frame. Overall a choice bike!

Paint may warp under warm conditions. The maple leaf decals(standard for a roclky mountain bike) began to chip off after about two months. Should come with a little more travel in the front. I have had the occasional shifting problem, but nothing serious at all.

A great bike for someone like myself who was just starting out. An awesome bike for someone who is wanting to hit some drops and get a little air, without making the huge committment of buying a sick downhill rig. It's light so it is great o both downhill and uphill. Rocky mountain always has the goods.

this is my first bike.