Norco VPS-Team North Shore 2003 Full Suspension

VPS-Team North Shore

Travis Carpenter   Downhiller [Mar 06, 2004]
Strength:

Strength, Suspension action & design, Balance (extremely well manered both on the ground and in the air).

None so far. This is not intended as a trail bike, it is a big hit, take all the abuse you can throw at it, and come back begging for more bike. So saying it's heavy is like saying that a cross country race bike is to weak to do drops on; it just comes with the territory.

I bought this bike as a frame only and had the guys at santiam build it from scratch. I already had the fork witch is why I used the Jrt. Eventually a Shiver or monster or 888 will be setting up front, haven't decided yet.
This is an exceptional machine. It truly does inspire confidence; I don't even blink at 7' drops anymore even to flat. And I can't wait to try something over 10'. The bike also handles amazingly in the air for a big hit bike. As for the turning it is slighty slower than some other bikes which just means that corners need to be ridden more agressively. There are no real negative elements about this bike, it is a truly well rounded bike for it's intended purpose(Gravity runs, stunts, drops). For a big hit bike it does pedal amazingly well and once rolling the weight vanishes. Mine is 46lbs if your curious.
This bike will not instanly make you a better rider, however, it will give you the confidence to push your limits and become a better rider.

Demoed, Santa Cruz bullit, Rocky mountain Rm7(second favorite), Kona stinky deluxe
Richard Bushby   Downhiller [May 07, 2003]
Strength:

Rear mech shifting is nothing short of SUPER SMOOTH and trouble free. High BB and bashguard means fallen logs and small cars can be scrambled over with ease. Decals and paintwork are very tough. Frame is very strong and looks awesome. FSR rear linkage is fully active and independant and has got those sealed bearing gizmos. Norco have spec'd out the bike with top quality, no-compromise components which will appeal to a large majority of riders. the Hayes brakes work really well and have had no probs with them. Great seat. Hadley rear hub - enough said.

Heavy at 46.5 lbs however the drive train is very efficient and makes up for this. Bottom bracket is quite high, which means rolling the bike from (steering) lock to lock takes time which means the tight-n-twisty singletrack stuff has to be taken a bit slower than with other bikes, unless you throw the bike through the corners. FUNN stem initially would work itself loose, but have now tightened it right up and have had no reoccurance - maybe it just needs a bit of locktite. Tyres tend to have a bit of wall flex when inflated to medium pressure and cornering. Rims have got 4 pin sized holes, 2 to each side of the valve hole - One of these caused a flat tyre oddly enough (edge bite). Bike missing the white 'blaze' decal located near the headset as can be seen on website. 9 speed drivetrain could do with 1 additional low gear and a couple of extra top end gears, but available range is aok as it is. Head angle cant be adjusted, although factory is good. Rear hub has a 12mm bolt, not QR system. Formula front hub is pretty average when compared to the other components.

Well its a DH specific bike, so some of the stuff I've put into the Product Weakness section above (weight, 9 gears, BB height) can be ignored for DH riders. Most of the riding I do is singletrack XC/DH with other guys on hard tail bikes, but I can still hold my own on the long uphill sections. The biggest selling points on this bike have got to be the value for money and the fact that the factory spec contains some fantastic componentry (XTR, Hadley, RF, Fox, Hayes etc). Overall Norco have done their homework and produced an epic DH machine that can equally be used for XC trail riding. For anyone looking at getting a top end DH bike that can handle whatever you can throw at it, your search is now over.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Big Hit Comp '02 and FSR DH '00.
Kevin W   Downhiller [Mar 24, 2003]
Strength:

Best Frame, Bomb Proof, Very plush!

Don't have 5th Element, Have to upgrade.

Same thing applies to the Shore. If you stomp a sick drop or squeak over a scary skinny with nobody around to see it.

80% DH Bike. Best for professional Downhiller.

If you’re still riding to try and win friends and influence people, you obviously don’t get it.
Because this bike is not really build for DH Riding.
But you can still keep challenging without any problem, If you have a very perfect skill of DH riding.

But with Marzocchi Monster T, no problem for DH and Drop.

This is perfect bike, but I can't afford to buy it, I'm looking for someone that can sponsor me. E-mail: kevin_dhteam@hotmail.com

Similar Products Used: Giant Warp Ds-1 (own), Norco Team Shore, Atomik, Fluid, Elssworth Dare, Truth, Id, Santacruz V10, Bullit other more......
lar   [Jun 04, 2003]
Strength:

solid, nice suspension (even with the fox, nice geometry.

SEAT HEIGHT (SEE BELOW)

Great except for the high seat position. I don't have a telescopic seatpost, which would make the problem worse because of the extra binder. I have a wtb dh seat, which is average height, I would say. I have the seat slammed all the way down and it is almost level with the grips of my 2" rise bar (03 shiver). The bar height isn't the issue, its my nards smacking the seat. On drops, I have to compress and then stick my asss out like a dork to avoid pain. Steeps feel sketchy because of this as well. Never had this prob. with other big bikes. I am 6'2" and have a large. I think the medium is just as high, so check it out before you buy it.

Similar Products Used: lots
Ben Timby   [May 06, 2005]
Strength:

strong design, very plush travel, components sticking together great

loud

awesome ride, definitly worth the money, bombproof for sure.

Similar Products Used: banshee, big hit
Spanky   Downhiller [Oct 25, 2003]
Strength:

Monster T - The only fork to have!
Rear Suspension design
Clear coated over the decals(smart)
Components are great

Should have put better rims on it
Colour is kinda flamer-ish

This is a great bike with the best of the best for components. I'm not a huge fan of the Alex rims though. This bike will take anything you through at it with ease. I've ridin all kinds of trails, from A-line to the shore and it has been great. Only problem I had was the Alex rim that flat spotted after the first ride and the Chain guide setting screws were not torqued tight enough and caused a few issues when riding. Once tightened up it runs flawlessly. The seat mast does sit a little high as in the previous review but it has never been an issue for me. I'm also 6'2 and have a large frame and it fits me perfectly. I'm very impressed with the whole ride.