KHS XC904R 2003 Full Suspension

XC904R

clint grainger   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2010]
Strength:

its realy smooth and fast while the frame lasts.

the frame is really weak and breaks very easily!!!!!!!!!!

THE FRAME SUCKS AND THE FRAME HAS THE WORST WARRENTY EVER FROM ANY BIKE COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: none ive always used khs bikes.
Ronny Sterckx   Racer [Sep 07, 2003]
Strength:

rear suspension desing made by Giant
Incredible handling and killing traction.

The Fox rear shock Float AVA lock-out handlebar mount is
not that convinient

The XC 904r is one of the best bike I ever had and I'm
planning to get the new 2004 for next year even that they
didn't change it a lot exept the colors.This bike is really
made for racers and for those having an agressive riding
the rear suspension is working like a charm and there is no
cracking or creaking on the bushings or pivots after a muddy ride.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Sugar 1
Patrick Chua   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

a good rear shock (Fox AVA) with a large range of adjustment and there is a rear volume adjustment.

The link near the front sprocket is covered and very hard to clean.

I like the performance of this bike, No pumping effect if you correctly adjust the pressure in the rear shock and I can also use my remote lock out if I want a hard tail effect. climbing and descending is so good that you want more!! im just practically satified with this bike...I recommend this bike to everyone.

Similar Products Used: GT Competition Series, GT Avalanche, Specialized Hard Rock
tim tidball   [Apr 14, 2004]
Strength:

Great welds and craftsmanship, beautiful paint, excellant geometry, great SID rear shock. very happy with KHS customer service as well.

Purchased as "frame only" and had bike custom built. I custom spec'd this bike from top to bottom, hand picking all components. I absolutely love it. After 5+ years of hardtail-ing, I was surprised how comfortable it felt the first time I hopped on it, very little learning curve!!

Similar Products Used: none
Patrick Phillips   Racer [Apr 16, 2004]
Strength:

Light, Responsive, Durable(kind of)

Color Options

Why buy the Ellsworth Truth, (although Supergo has the original Turner four bar on sale for $900) this is the same bike and it is alot cheaper....Maybe not as well made, but KHS takes care of you. And remember this is a XC bike, not freeride. I love this four bar design. I've ridden the Spyder....blah blah blah, four bar relieves pedal bob as well as any of them. The build kit on this bike is as good as any other bike out there and alot less expensive. I cracked the seat tube after about 6 mo's and KHS had a new frame out to me in less than 10 days. Only bummer, I had to pay for the rebuild($100)

Similar Products Used: New to FS bike...Comverted from HT
Darrin Stein   Cross Country Rider [Apr 19, 2005]
Strength:

Everything, so far is great. Still learning the fine tuning of the rear shock.

Haven't found any yet.

This is an amazing bike. I finally went from a hardtail to a full suspension and did alot of research, tried lots of different rides. I like this one due to it's set up, weight was very important to me and this is one of the lightest I found (around 24 lbs). It's definatly not a free ride bike, but will take alot of abuse. I know...I am in Ohio, but I am a veteran rider from Colorado and understand whats going on with this bike. Retail price is a bit high and I got smoking deal on this NEW bike (with full warranty in place) on eBay.

Similar Products Used: None
Michael Pike   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2005]
Strength:

Good value for money. Lightweight and responsive

Frame quality is the worst

I managed to do about 1700km on this bike in the 2 months I had it, before the seat tube snapped clean off. I am a light cross country rider (140lbs) and do not even jump off the pavement. Bike developed a creaking sound which I attributed to bottom bracket before breaking in spectacular fashion. Everyone I know who owns a 2003/2004 KHS has managed to break at least 1 frame. The worst is that after more than 3 months I am still without my replament frame. KHS have no problem replacing their frames because they know what rubbish they are selling. Avoid this bike at all costs!!!

Similar Products Used: Kona
Downhill Danny   Racer [Jan 21, 2005]
Strength:

Fair priced product package. Comefortable frame, good suspension design, once rear shock is dialed in properly. Great Support from KHS

Frame Stength

Overall, been very happy with the bike and setup. Components have lasted reasonably well, given that I race XC and marathon races. SID rear shock needs careful preasurre setting to minimise suspension bob, and careful attention to pedalling style, especially at higher cadence.
I weigh 140 pounds and do not take jumps / drops higher than knee height, pure XC jeep track / single track terrain. After 2.5 years of faithfull service a crack developed on the bracket that ties the bottom end of the rear shock to the downtube. I had it welded and continued racing the bike for 3 months, where after another crack developed on the left hand side of the frame, just below the rear shock weld on the seat tube. Contacted LBS where the bike was bought originally, and they have arranged for a 2004 replacement frame. No questions asked, so full marks there to KHS. A fair number of other riders in the club with same model / newer 904 frames (silver ones) have experienced the same problem on their frames, especially along the seat tube. Given that all broken frames have been replaced everytime says something about KHS's support, but is still annoying when it happens due to loss of riding time.

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX870
matt   Cross Country Rider [Dec 17, 2004]

This is a follow up review of the bike. Mine cracked on the lower mount for the rear shock. To my knowledge this is the only weak point. The medal here is very thin, esp. compared to other fames. KHS was great, they warrantied the frame and sent me a new 05. The paint job rocks on this thing. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Paul Romeo II   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2003]
Strength:

The components are top of the line. The SID world cup and rear float never cease to amaze me. Extremely light frame.

Seat needs to be exchanged for something other than a rock. The pivots in the linkage needed locktite.

This bike is amazing. The combination of a light frame (24 lbs.) and XTR components make this bike a must have, especially considering it is a full suspension bike. The shocks provide comfort and yet maintain stability and control; lockouts are provided for both the front and rear shocks. I have ridden this bike throughout the Bay Area/Tahoe regions and it rides beautifully in soft and hard conditions.

If you are a racer, cross-country fanatic, or simply want an exceptional bike, this is the bike for you.