Haro Extreme X3 2003 Full Suspension

mattwest`   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2009]
Strength:

rear suspension, fork, and adjustibility of both

a little heavy going uphill

This is my first full suspension so it is a big step up from a hardtail. I like dont think i would of bought this bike for full price but i got a deal on the bike and it had only been ridden 3 times.

Similar Products Used: first full suspension
BillyTK   Cross Country Rider [Aug 29, 2003]
Strength:

-Geometry
-Weight
-Handling
-Price
-Very little bob when seated

-Flex

THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE FRAME ONLY

I'm in love with this bike, the geometry is awsome the slack headangle and the long wheel base makes me fly downhills, fast turns are so easy now and it climbs surprisingly well for the weight.
It has a little flex at the rear end, but honnestly my 00 FSR-XC was much worst than this bike, at least I don't feel it under power like happened on the FSR.

Overall what I can say is that it's a very worthy frame, especially at the price they come.

Similar Products Used: Specialized SJ FSR-XC 00, Giant ATX 99, Bianchi CCLite, Specialized SJ FSR-XC 03
Darryl   Downhiller [Jun 02, 2003]
Strength:

long travel for the price. very plush frame with little bob.good bangg for the buck

fork is too soft. should have higher quality discs.

very good bike for entering freeriders and good fun downhill trails. ok u0pshill not the greatest and dont do suck big drop over hmmm... six feet. great bike looking for a nice full suspention get this!

Similar Products Used: specialized enduro, bullit, heckler, extreme series...
CHUD OWENS   Downhiller [May 17, 2003]
Strength:

STRONG COMFORTABLE FRAME. TOTALLY UPGRADEABLE FRAME. GOOD PARTS KIT. GOOD PRICE AND VALUE.

HEADSET. ROCK SHOX FORK NEEDS EITHER IMMEDIATE UPGRADE OF SPRING RATE. NO COMPRESSION ADJUSTMENT WITHOUT THESE UPGRADES OR A NEW FORK

NOT QUITE A BULLIT BUT BEEFIER THAN MOST CROSS-COUNTRY BIKES. ONE OF THE BEST DEALS FOR AN EVERYTHING EXCEPT LONG DISTANCE RIDES BIKE. COULD BE USED AS A LIFT ACCESS BIKE AND CAN BE USED FOR SHORTER CROSS COUNTRY RIDES ON TRAIL. GREAT FOR JUMPING. CLIMBS PRETTY WELL JUST A BIT ON THE HEAVIER SIDE (GETS YOU IN SHAPE)

Similar Products Used: BULLIT, HECKLER, HARO SINGLE EXTREME SERIES
gregory prior   Downhiller [Mar 07, 2006]
Strength:

Great downhiller and everyday rider. I ride atleast 3 miles on road everyday I have a paper route great bike for mud, rain, downhill, snow, street, and trail riding Ihave done all of the above that I have just listed this bike is like a jeep wrangler to me which i have also.

The left top rail on my swingarm cracked all around not sure how it happened either [think it was the cold] not sure though otherwise the best bike I have ridden.

This bike is great for everthing and everyone I think. The bike has a lifetime warranty on the frame so I am getting the bikes rear swingarm for free all I have to pay is to get it installed by sirois a well spent fifty bucks. Sirois is also a reccomended bike shop.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Trek full suspension bike, and a crappy old Mongoose
Scott   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2004]
Strength:

Slack head tube, strong swingarm and nice spec.

only 5" of rear travel

A great value for 750 bucks. It was lightly used and still had all stock parts except a tire and handlebars. I have gotten a few good rides in on this bike and I can tell you that it would be worth it's msrp.

I wits it had 6" rear travel and I could put a Boxxer race set to 6" on it. But oh well. I feel lucky to have gotten a bike this solid for 750.

Similar Products Used: Specialzed enduro, beefed up gt i-Drive, SC bullit.
Jonathan   Weekend Warrior [Nov 10, 2003]
Strength:

Nice beefy frame, value, good component mix, very little suspension bob, handling, did I mention value?

Front Rock Shox Psylo XC, too cushy
seat is a little harsh

An excellent bike. I originally wanted an S.C. Heckler, but for half the price I got an Extreme 03. I got it at the end of the season so 10% off of list. I have been looking for a F/S ride for about a year and I am very happy with the bike. It handles very well on decents and on singletrack. I have a Schwinn Homegrown hardtail that I have been using for the last 6 years, so I am used to great handling and good climbing from a bike. The Haro climbs real well, no problem with suspension bob. I have only been off some 4ft. drops so far and the bike feels strong. The Fox R rear is very nice and adjusts easily. The Front fork is definity more XC oriented. I am about 150lbs. and it bottoms pretty easily, not horrible, just a bit heavier would be good. What do you want for $1200 right? The 525 discs are very nice as well. They have excellent modulation, just not as powerful as similar Hayes. I have been told you need to break them in, and I only have about 6 hours on the bike. I know they have done some major changes to the '04 model, new frame, front Marzoc shock and 5-6" travel now in rear. Overall this the bike is great. If you are looking for a good freeride/XC bike and you do not have a lot of cash this is the ticket. The only reason I gave it an overall 4 chilis is because I have only had the bike for a little over a month.

Similar Products Used: C-dale Gemini, SC Heckler, Jamis XLT 2.0, Specialized Enduro, Giant AC-2
Scott   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2003]
Strength:

not too heavy, solid frame, good component mix

psylo xc are okayk, but beefier forks may have been a better option

This is my first full suss. I've ridden a few different full suss, and finally bought one. This bike is a fantastic all around bike as a few people seem to have found. I picked it up for song on ebay, and couldn't be happier. Only had it 3 months, so gradually taking it off bigger and bigger drops.

I had it up to Fort Williams World Cup Downhill track and it was fine. A bit out of its depth, but fun all the same. Where it really came into its own was on the 4X track. It handled the doubles smoothly, and the drop would have been fine if I had the suspension set up properly! The next day we did the XC course and it was fantastic there as well! I love this bike. Its kind of a budget bullit. If you don't want to buy 3 bikes to do different things this could be one of the best buys out there.

Similar Products Used: kona stuff, kona stinky
James Claar   Downhiller [Feb 04, 2003]
Strength:

Everything is great, the value the shoxs both the fox rear,the front Rock shoxs, the strong frame makes for awesom freeride,downhilling, and nice big jumps

they're are the best bike you can get for the value, and so far i can't find a single weakness in any of the parts, or construction!!

this is a great bike, ask about warranties, ask questions, and ask for a sizeing. before you buy, ask to test it out!! it's an awesome bike!!
if you have any opinions either for or against the Haro X3 '03, please e-mail me at foxdownhillrider03@hotmail.com

happy crashing, happy rideing..........fox