GT Ruckus I-Drive 2.0 2003 Full Suspension

GT Ruckus I-Drive 2.0 2003 Full Suspension

[Jun 23, 2003]
BJ
Downhiller

Strength:

The fact that above everything else the bike is soo overbuilt and solid! also GT threw in the trendy i-Drive system & it comes with FOX vanilla shox! also u get a cumfy SDG landing strip to sit on!

OK! well for the ammount of money i paid for, im dissapointed it came with the complete shimano deore deck-out. SO! the hubs are dirt and at hight speeds you think your axel is going to snap through! the rear derailuer bounces quite a bit when thightened to the max, the chain under pressure slips/bounces off and can end up jamed in-between your i-Drive system and ur small chain wheel at the front & the pedals are a bit slipery! BUT! this is easily fixed by buying and fitting some aireal industries hubs F & R, a SRANM 9.0 + or Shimano XT + rear derailuer, any chainguide for the front (Tru Vativ or MRP are good) & some grippy flat pedals or clip-ins.

This bike is pretty much regarded as my child! It is the most solid thing ive ever ridden (not being compared to the NORCO a-line or KONA stinky nine!) and i would regard it as the 3rd best freeride bike on the market! if you dont like it and are looking for a great freeride bike look at the Giant AC 1-2 or 3 or the iorn horse SGD Expert!

Giant AC range, Iorn horse SDG Expert!

[Jun 15, 2003]
b nic

Strength:

strong frame, i-drive

could benefit from a Progressive shock

not a great climber, but a great bike for all else. It shuttles as good as any bike i've owned, and is a pretty good trail bike, despite its weight.I am fully aware of GT's owners(being a long time GT fan) and have no problems with build quality or parts spec.

owned a SC bullit, Titus loco-moto and several i-drives in the past

[Jun 03, 2003]
Sham

Strength:

I-Drive!!! Vanilla 125R,Vanilla RC shocks,Syncros Big Box Rims,Task Force Stem,Tioga Handlebar,Tioga Factory DH tires

Deore parts

After looking for a frame as solid,tough,finally found it. With the specs that i wanted. THis is a EXCELLENT bike to play with. the bike really suit my style of riding. I don't want to have a double crown fork yet,so playing with this baby is sweet. Downhill section is more of a breeze but the climbing up there is the tough part. But hey, what you expect from a 35pound bike???

Kona Mokomoko (xc bike),Giant AC1

[Feb 12, 2003]
will peters

Strength:

great price. very plush rear suspension. frame is extremly tuff.

cranks, big box rims. no shims for other sized bars. seatpost

This bike kicks ass. No drops to big. Great urban assalt strength. The frame is stout.
It gives you confidense to know what your riding can take the abuse. GT is still down for riders. Pacific? Whatever, GT can still hold its own. Gt has produced a bike that everyone can enjoy, the bike is just fun to ride and doesnt cost you a years rent.

santa cruz bullit

[Nov 08, 2002]
James

Strength:

i-drive, dhi rear triangle (almost), fox forx, fox vanilla rc rear, geometry chip and angles, burly frame.

Pacific???? truvativ fire-x cranks on a freeride bike.

I am living in the golden age with this bike. So it does'nt have the replacable dropouts and 150mm spacing of the 1.0 or dhi, if it breaks I'll buy the dhi rear, if not. All in all I love this bike the fox forx is amazing, I am a huge fan of the i-drive system, stout gray frame. I was lusting after an intense uzzi slx or an ellsworth joker and maybe even a specialized big hit but being the gt geek I am and having that amont of money to spend at that exact moment ( I took my i-drive 5.0 in to get my fourth rear shock and change out cables and walked out with this bike) and having seen this bike on the net, bought it . I have taken it dirt jumping, down some hills,,, urban and trails, so it does'nt climb well, neither did my old bike. I don't climb well either. ruckus is the sh!t. out.

I had ridden an i-drive 5.0 for a year and blew three shocks, time for a freeride bike.

[Sep 26, 2003]
Dwight Holder

Strength:

Sofar, as compared to my 10 year old hard tail with Manitou II fork, everything is a strength.

Hard to find any weakness yet. If forced to say something it would be the Tioga Factory DH tires.

Mike from Ricahrdsbicycles.com was great to work with. As for the bike it is everything I could have wanted. It climbs better than anything I have ever owned. Downhill I have yet to find out how fast it will go. I understand that energy is lost in the suspension moving while you pedal but it is gained back by allowing your tire to stay in contact with the ground through lose rocky climbs. If you don't have any intentions in racing and just want to have a good time this is a bike for you.

Ironhorse (original)

[Feb 01, 2004]
Dan

Strength:

Excellent range of parts for the price. Good for doing almost anything. Really smooth and feels great to ride, great front and rear shocks.

Rear Deore mech.

Excellent value bike, the shocks are really top notch. The bike really feels smooth and fast to ride, bar width feels really nice and controllable. Discs are reliable, and really strong.

There are a few bits that should be replaced first, this includes the pedals, changing them to a cheap DMR V8 is a good idea, although the slightly more expensive V12 might be prefeble. The rear mech isnt very reliable, and jumps all over the place, an XT replacement is good. Also, like with most bikes, get a chainstay guard, or the chain will take chunks out of the chain stay.

A fabulous bike which is perfect in its own class, great value. Rides like a dream.

Trek Fuel.

[Oct 20, 2003]
Dan Evans

Strength:

Fantastic looks, great travel, amazing handling.

The bike seems very multi purpose, the bike works really well for downhill, cross country, and general messing around off-road on the weekend.

The bike comes with some very nice parts, all freeride strength of course.

Seat.

This bike had a fabulous line up of parts, you will find Fox Vanilla forx, Fox Vanilla rear shock, Truvativ cranks, lots of Shimano Deore and Tioga.

Some people might say that the bike should have better models than the Deore ones, but I think that the Deore parts do a fabulous job, and the whole bike packs some great parts altogether. The all round Fox suspension is fabulous and customisable.

The bike does look as well as it rides. GT have really picked some great value parts, which of course ride really well for their price.

The Deore hydraulic disc brakes are really powerful, and superbly problem free.

To top it all off you get the i-drive system too.

I got this bike recently, so it was on sale since 04 models will be in the shops soon. I got a fabulous deal with around $500 off.

(I am in the UK, so I may have got the £ to $ conversions slightly wrong).

GT i-drive pro

[Mar 09, 2003]
Warwick

Strength:

Strong Frame, great spec nothing that really needs replacing besides pedals and grips. Fox Forks are super plush. Cranks with bash guard are great

Well partly my fault (well Ok mostly my fault) but I snapped two of the bolts that hold the shock mounting on. I had the shock set to almost full hard though so that probably didn't help, one lesson learnt on my behalf.

Being my first full suspension bike I have no complaints about the way the bike pedals or the weight etc, when compared to my old hartail, so that must be a good thing. I think if you are overly concerned about those sort of traits you shouldn't be buying a freeride bike anyway. On the downhills this bike is pure fun takes all sorts of hits in its stride, and more than makes up for any walking you may have to do, (if you are as unfit as me!!)

I give it 4 Chilli's in overall as I have no doubt that there are better, more well rounded freeride bikes out there. But if you are looking for a bike that is just fun to ride, as a freerider/downhiller/whatever, I would fully recomend this bike. You can't really beat it for a cheap(ish) bulletproof bike.

Nothing full Suspension

[Dec 18, 2003]
cameron niven
Downhiller

Strength:

Strong sturdy frame, tioga over size bar + stem, fox suspenension set up front + rear, nice gripy tires, i drive.

shimano deore deck out, deore hubs, rear mech hanger.

This bike has a really good feel over rocky terain thanks to the i drive as you can pedal efficiantly over rock beds which is harder on other linkage systems. stuck a 6 by 12ft gap with no trouble. Does not like stairs. Bike is quite hard to control on street and on dirt because of the weight. however high speed downhill jumps are amzing. If you are looking for a strong burly freeride bike that can be pedalled up the sloped shore style ladders but can huck off the drops on the other side this is the bike for you. If you like xc get a normal i drive cos they are lighter. However watch out for the gears get them set up by a pro mechanic cos if not you will go through 200 bucks on rear mechs like me...

specialized big hit comp, kona stinky 2002