Giant XtC NRS 2003 Full Suspension

Giant XtC NRS 2003 Full Suspension

[Dec 12, 2010]
mntbiker036

Strength:

The suspension set up is great for a 7 year old bike. I can throw down with my buddies new $2500 Cannondale no problem!

None other than the fact that parts for bikes get hard to find after they have been out for 5 years. That sucks cuz I want to rebuild the suspension bearings and bushings in the near future.

I resuced this bike from a guy who bought it and decided it was to small, then stripped it of the great componets and didn't care about her anymore. So for my money and the ride she gives me I stole it! I use it to commute to work somtimes but mostly ride on trials, single track and logging roads. I get a lot of comments on how it looks to! Bottom line it makes me smile!

Trek fuel!

[Apr 13, 2009]
calinrs

Strength:

Awesome frame, pretty rigid, fast, light weight, setup is pretty much awesome for beginners

pilot fork, python tires, brakes

First off,this is my first full suspension bike and I never knew that one day I would actually take it out on single tracks, I really bought it for transportation around the city and some nature park paths on my way home from work. I was able to obtain the bike in 2003. but the bike model was the newer 2004. When I took it out to check out other bike shops, they all thought it was a neat bike and the setup was simple at that time for what I was using it for.

As of now, I ride single track and this thing is awesome! I havent touched the bike and never really upgraded anything besides the brakes! Its a simple bike, quick fly by and by looks, can easly be mistaken for a hardtail. Rides smooth up hill and all parts seem to work even though I have some that are on the near verg of failing. I like to ride till things break, not just upgrade right away because of what people say, you gotta ride the bike first and only you can find out what is needed for your own setup, wheels and brakes is what i would get some tips on as it all depends really on where you are riding and only those who ride on those trails would know. I ride really hard so I didnt want to add the cassette and chain in the weakness as this all went out by me over powering the drivetrain. I cracked the cassette's 9th gear and strecthed/replaced the chain twice until I moved on to the xtr chain. But for the real beginner, im sure they would need to build that muscle first before this can happen, me, I started on it with lots of torque power already gained in my legs.

The front fork went out pretty quick though might I say and this was during the period where I only road the bike in the street (about 1.5years). BUT! I still ride with this pilot fork on the single track, yeah, its hard to do some quick turns and some steep steps with out the bike fliping on you but hey, I at least know that this fork is deffinitly in need of an up grade, im looking into Fox racing as a replacement.

The wheels, hutchinson pythons, did ok on the street really grips on paved roads, we did a test on it coming down coral canyon road, was doing about 55 mph and hitting turns at which speed signs saying 35mph! We know this because my brother was following behind me in his car. But on the trails, I there was plenty of tread left, I was still slipping out on turns, very unstable at high speed on the dirt because these wheels simply do not grip enough. I am using some cheap kenda wheels off a kmart parts bike which have some nice teeth on the edges but still rather heavy but I can live with it as it grips like crazy! only which the rubber was softer and it would be more of a champ!

The brakes, i never really liked clamp brakes yet always had them so this was the first time using disk brakes.....GET EM! BB7 Mechanicals will do this bike just fine! yet is not a hassle to maintain and adjust, great for biggners but also good enough to flip you over the handle bars if you are not to careful (as a friend found out the hard way when he didnt beleave me that they stopped on a dime).

I would easily say, go for the nrs2 as it has better parts though all the nrs frames are the same except for the carbon series, but I like to upgrade my bike from the ground up, thats why I went for the NRS3, and I like the silver ;). As long as I got a good frame, thats all that really matters to me and the NRS frame is excellent! I still ride this bike on the same setup as when I first bought it (April 22, 2003) and its April 13, 2009! I will be upgrading the forks really soon but I think im going to keep tanking my way with the same drivetrain until I can afford it as the fork will eat up most of the bikes funding pot for now.

I recommend this bike for any entry level cross county XC biker intressted in learning the game. But ride your bike first and then see what is needed for your specs and your own liking.

[Jul 17, 2003]
jesse

Strength:

the SID fork with remote lockout, NRS design, brakes, XtT derrailur, rider position(although some might not like the racing postion), Tubeless tires, NRS consistancy

nothing so far whatsoever some people complain about the SID fork flexing but I personally thought it was great

I do not own this bike its my freinds but it is totally awsome. The second i got on it the tubeless tires mixed with the NRS i began to fly on the singletrack. The lockout on the front helps tremendassly when u are on smooth straight track. There is no rear bob whatsoever yet the rear shock soaks up bumps wihtout the rider even noticeing the shock move. The brakes are excellent and the Xt derrailer shifts instantly. Due to the no need for high PSI in your tired the tubeless tires roll over stuff and flex with the things you are hitting but withought being low and flat elsewhere. This bike is an excellent choice for a nice XC race bike ready out of the box

EPIC Disk

[Aug 19, 2003]
Mike D

Strength:

Light weight for a full suspension. NRS rides up like a hardtail, but comes to life on the downhill. Giant specs great parts for the money! Raceface cranks at this level are great! But NRS 1 does have the "real" raceface (Canadian made) -which is what I have now :)

factory cables are not long enough for rear DR, and chain should be shortened.

This is a rebuild of my 00' frame, when I called Giant for advice on why I could only run as big as 1.75" tire in back, the technican said I had tweaked the frame somehow and they sent me a new one in 3 days! (no charge). This allowed me to rebuild the bike with parts I had been wanting to try out with the NRS frameset. The Psylo fork has been the biggest (happy) surprise for me. Since most of the people I talked with said it was a total POS. Although much heavier than the spec'd SID fork, the Psylo has so much less flex. I can hammer into corners with more confidance since I'm 195lbs right now, I wanted that extra piece of mind. Psylo Race from 02' is air-air, with lockout. The new Psylo's seems very mushy too me. As far as shifting problems go, the rear section works best if you keep the housing solid on the seatstays (don't use the factory stops on the rear triangle at all). The chain is OK quality, but should be shortened before the first ride (about 4 links should do it) also look to take the "dark" colored pin out when shortening chain... this is pressed in and can sometimes cause that link to stick. Awsome product, the best non-bob bike I've ever tried!

this is a rebuild of my 2000' NRS with some new parts added... Giant sent me an entirely new frame (with rear SID shock) because the older frame had developed a shifting problem.

[Aug 18, 2003]
Martin

Strength:

NRS system, MPH brakes, Manitou fork, race face crank an BB.

cheap cables and chain.

This is a superb bike. Forks dont seem stiff when you test them not riding, but on the track damping is superb an there's no detectable flex. Replaced brake pads for EBD ones for extra power and less wear. Repleaced crappy chain cause i didn't wanted to ruin my RaceFace crankset.
Ride it without sag if you want absolutely no energy loss. But as in the manual, you can set it with sag! beware that it sags enough (minimal 7 mm at the shock) or else it'll top out every pedal stroke. But adjusted properly with sag it rides amazingly plush, goes downhill like on a sofa, and doesn't bob, it's completely neutral.

Trek Y, Trek fuel

[Jul 14, 2003]
John

Strength:

Great overall ride, especially climbing. Truly a no bob design. Big step-up in ride and components (suspension and disc brakes) from my hardtail at the same weight (27 lbs). On this bike, big descents are a blast! Brakes - great stopping power especially in wet conditions. Great bike at the price!

1) Tires. Tore the sidewall on my second ride.
2) Broke the chain on my third ride.
3) Some ghost shifting problems that have been cured with rear derailleur adjustments.
4) Pedals. Switched to Shimano Multi-Release Cleats and solved release problems but they're still mud magnets.

I recommend getting this bike. Great bike overall! I'm still learning how to ride a full suspension but already taking on tougher terrain than before and riding longer with less abuse on my body. Still playing with the rear suspension setup but have settled on an upper chamber setting of my weight plus 5 to 10 psi or 185 psi and 70 psi in the lower chamber. Better ride and components than other comparable bike that I tried. Switch to a full suspension! If you're worried about the weight, cut back on the burritos and beer. Knocked off 1 chili for initial drive train problems.

Specialized Rockhoppper

[Jul 11, 2003]
Greg

Strength:

comfort over long rides, allows to stay seated more than on a hardtail, light weight, good parts for the price, good looks, awesome adjustability, versatility, etc.

not really a weakness... but all those pivots and extra suspension adjustments require more attention and maintenance than a hardtail... but (...see "product strengths")
ultra lightweight aluminum granny gear can get bent (not a giant issue though)

After a few months and a few races (12h and 24h relay), the bike is holding up very well. My confidence is going up.

It took a few rides to stretch the chain and the shifter cables, and I had to loctite the brake lever setscrews, but after that, the bike has been flawless.

The tubeless system works fine for me. put a bit of soap with very little water to help seat and seal the tires on the rims and go!

The bike works very well as a commuter with michelin 1.5" slicks.

Brakes are good.

This bike will suit both a national champ and a weekend rider. The limiting factor is the rider BY FAR!!! not the bike!

FSR, others.

[Aug 19, 2003]
Alan Rothrock

Strength:

ekelent fram, no bob at all, great climber, fun all around bike, great bike for the prist

seat post bent on me it could be free

i couldn't believ the price for how much bike i got for the price. the fram is the same as a nrs air so it feels like a race bike with out a hole bernt in my poket. i would like to go to disks and a manitue black front fork. the fork dosen't have that much travel to is so 120mm would help. but on the bottom line you get a lot of bike for the $$$$!!!
I halled it to alask and it out preformed the oter bikes. well i can't say enouf. it's a great bike. i rekomend you tring out some other biks though

a cheep ol peas of juke k mart huffy imitation DH bike. that dosen't compair

[Jul 04, 2003]
aj

Strength:

light,strong,good suspention,lockout,brakes are smooth

lot of stuff that could go wrong

a nice riding bike worth the price any one thats riddin trails can ride it

cannondale

[Jul 04, 2003]
aj

Strength:

light,strong,good suspention,lockout,brakes are smooth

lot of stuff that could go wrong