Giant Warp DS 2 2003 Full Suspension

Snakedriver   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2009]
Strength:

Its An All Around Good Bike When Used For The Intended Purpose Cross Country Racing Not Downhilling, Freeriding, Dirt Jumping. The Things People Try With A Bike Not Made For Those Purposes.Considering It's An Entry level Full Suspension Bike It Excels At What Its Made For And Isnt Bad At Some Of The Above Activities. JUST NOT OFTEN.For The Average Price Of About $500 You Can't Expect The Bike To Be An All Mountain Do Everything Bike. Its Not That Sort Of Bike.

The Weight Of The Bike Is A Bit Much For Being A Cross Country Race Bike. The Front Fork Isn't Good For Much Except Intended Use.Will Probably Upgrade Fork To Something A Lil Plusher Then The RST Omega 4 That's On It Due To Now And Then Having To Jump Sidwalks While Riding In New York City Dodging Marauding Yellow Cabs

Used As Intended The Warp DS2 Is An Excellent Entry Level Bike To Build Skills On If Your Aspiring To Ride More Technical Trails In The Future. Minimal Upgrades Maybe Needed Depending On Where And How You Ride. I'd Definitely Recommend Upgrading To Avid BB7 Disc Brakes If Nothing Else On The Bike. Could Never Have Good Enough Brakes On Your Bike No Matter Where Or How You Ride. I've been Bounced Off City Buses, Yellow Cabs Hit By A Speeding Ambulance Had A Few 5Foot Or Less Drops And In The 4+ Years I've Ridden No Frame Damage. Bike Is Very Very Durable.I Wish Giant Still Sold The Frames. I'd Love To Buy One Then Build My Own Bike from The Ground Up.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh M30. Some Pacific Piece Of Crap That Lasted About 6 Months.
Wyobiker   Weekend Warrior [Mar 07, 2009]
Strength:

Great frame for xc/all mountain biking

All components must go! Wheel set, tires, shifters, derailleurs, brakes, crank, grips, saddle, stem etc...etc...

To re-iterate what I and has been said plenty times before on the DS2, the frame is great but the components are...well, yeah. I've put a good amount of money into this bike to make it a sweet all-mountain ride. However, if you don't know what you want to pair with this frame nor spend the money and a good amount of time having a half complete bike sitting around, buy something else.

pulidof4i   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2008]
Strength:

Very good frame, easy to handle, strong XC/All mount. bike.

All the components:
Fork, brakes, cranks, derailleur, shifters, etc.

I like the bike. It's a very good beginner bike. I've had it for 7 years and it has done me very well. I've taken it to Tahoe (North Star), Mammoth, and the local San Gabriel mountains.

Sal   Weekend Warrior [Jul 05, 2008]
Strength:

Handles really well. I feel safe jumping because of the beefy body and fat tires.

Being a female rider, I find the bike a little on the heavy side. Wouldn't mind getting some discs on as well.

Got a good deal and I'm pleased with every dollar I spent on it.

lee   [Jul 17, 2003]
Strength:

value

rear spring needs to be upgraded to 800lb. Im 200lbs.

a few modifications have been made, clipless, cut handlebars. I would have kept my old one but it was stolen. The guys at bike discounters hooked me up with this bike at a great price. The tuned it to my liking as I waited, great job. This bike is recommended by me for its overall function and value, Im sure I will upgrade here and there.

Similar Products Used: 02 ds 2
Al   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2003]
Strength:

Price (the bike was $750 originally!), easy to upgrade, good for riders who want a FS bike without selling off body parts to be able to afford one. The bike is also in my favorite color, blue!

Other than the rock Giant puts on top of the seatpost, none yet. I had my LBS transfer the '02 27 spd LX drivetrain (shifters, fr/rr derailluers, brake levers), crankset, disc brakes, fork, rims/tires from my hardtail to the Warp. Looking forward to 1st real ride though! I'll probably upgrade the rear shock in the next few months.

My doctor said go full suspension, or become a roadie. I chose to buy a Warp DS2.

For someone who has been riding hardtail for a few years on a budget, whose body needs a little more cushion than his ThudBuster seatpost, this is a great way to go.

Sure, it isn't Santa Cruz, Intense, Seven, or a Sugar+ but this bike is a great buy for someone smart enough to not get sucked in by the ads in the mags for bikes that cost 3-4x as much.

This is my first FS bike, and I couldn't justify spending over $1000 for a bike that I can economically upgrade now with great parts from my other bike, in the future when the birthday roles around, or until the bearded fatman puts them under my tree.

If you like XC riding, want a solid full suspension bike for under a $1000 and are inclined to make sensible upgrades, give serious consideration to the Giant Warp DS series.

If you want to freeride 20' drop offs, get something else that is designed for that. Don't get the Warp, or any other bike that a 200lb fatman would trash, then get on here and rip it a new one because you're a moron who ruined your bike by riding it the wrong way.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Mesa GSX, Haro Extreme X3, Rockhopper FSR
Justin   [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

Everything. Exceptional design, great quality, easy maintenance!

The stock front fork isnt the best, but you can deal with it if you must.

I love this bike. The ergonomics are amazing, especially for jumping. With a new psylo xc, the bike is perfectly balanced, 5" in front and 5" in back. Anyone who says this bike is no good, or is just entry level should all suck my left nut and burn in hell. It is entry level, but it rides better than some of the leading competitors I've ridden. this bike rocs, buy it or else your gona miss an amazing deal, and an amazing bike!

Similar Products Used: Sugar 4+, I-Drive 4.0
Vince   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2003]
Strength:

Solidly built. every part is namebrand ex. cranks. if you get this bike for what it's made for... light freeride and some xc you'll be happy. good bike for someone who rides for fun every once and a while, and wants a good quality bike for not too much money...if you get hooked it is easly upgraded.

none, considering what it is built for. don't compare it to a $1200+ bike, like other reviewers do.

if you want a good quality fs bike from a big name company, that is great for the weekend warrior who likes good equipment, then this is your bike. i checked out specialized, schwinn, fuji, and gt. they either aren't as hooked up or don't match the components.

Similar Products Used: jamis
marin
Ron   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2006]
Strength:

Super bike. This bike can take abuse. I ride 2-3 times a week mainly local advance trails. I needed a fast bike that could handle rough terrain. This bike is very responsive once you adjust the suspension. You can mess with the rebound set on the fork and the rear shock to your liking. You can also set the travel possition from 4' to 5'. I got mine on 5' and it still climbs good.

Factory breaks are not the best, I upgrated to disc and it's made a world of a difference. I recommend looking into discs for this bike. With a few changes you can have a top line mountain bike. Some one suggested getting better wheel sets, I also ordered some clips.

If you can get one at a good price, get it.

Similar Products Used: There is a few comparable bikes out there, but they are more expensive.
John   Weekend Warrior [Feb 25, 2006]
Strength:

extreme what a ride!!.. I purchased one a weak later one for my wife. Best of its class on this price range. The 2004 DS2 is one of giants best projects. A well bild and stable frame.

The saddle came loose at first, I re tightened it and its been good since.

Best for the price. I strongly recomend it. I have'nt had any problems with eather bikes. These are good all mauntain bikes, they handle good in any terrain and trail. The stable suspencion add to the handeling. A+++