Giant DH Team 2003 Full Suspension

aurs4grn   Downhiller [May 06, 2010]
Strength:

Actually not that heavy compared to other dh bikes ie rocky mountain, norco,Really easy to manual and wheely, lots of usable travel.

Rear shock, bolts on rear linkage, dorado adjustabilty ( red locktite on the lower linkage bolts works great, or for something a little less permanent, blue locktite and a modified Allen wrench to fit behind the chain guide)

So far not a huge fan of the Manitou swinger 6 way, I was really excited about it at first, I've never really played around with a shock that has so many adjustments ( I had a 5th element on my m1 but I didn't really screw around with it much). So I got a shock pump so I could adjust everything. The shock had 50 Psi (the lowest) so I put the recommended starting point psi (50-70% of your weight) 90, half my weight. Didn't really notice a difference, so I messed with the spv ( my goal for these adjustments was to find a plush setting that wouldn't be harsh on the square bumps as manitou says but not bottom out on big hits) so I adjusted the spv. All the way in first, pretty harsh all around, adjusted all the way out thus maximizing the reservoir area and allowing more oil to flow which should have made it more plush, it didn't, still harsh. Next I adjusted the spring this helped a lot but it was still pretty hard about halfway through the travel. Messed with low speed, high speed compression, still nothing. So bottom line on the shock, not impressed, I think the rock shock on the 02 was actually almost as good, which from my experience and some of my buddies is pretty bad. The frame, bottom line is its one of the best for the money. At its most basic the linkage is a single pivot and even with the so called manitou anti Bob its pedaling efficiency isnt bad but its not that great. I rode a v10 in a parking lot one time and was blown away by the pedalling efficiency, it felt almost the same as a hardtale. I think there's a lot to be said about vpp and its variations (maestro) giant switched over completely and Santa Cruz and intense never looked back. Reguardless, this bike is awesome and if you get the chance to buy one at a decent price then go for it because you wont be disappointed, 5 flamin' chiles all around

Similar Products Used: Intense m1 (98, 2003) 02 giant dh team
bertie woop woop   Downhiller [Dec 11, 2008]
Strength:

the frame is rock solid! sticks to the ground, although being big and hefty my chain has never fallen off with mrp

with 200mm forks i think the geometry is just too slack, when linkage comes loose it starts to wear away the frame but only if u let it, very heavy!

amazing bike, especially as i only paid £650 when i bought it, love it to bits, but overall i probs spent close to a grand on it, really really nice bike, corners well, just simply love it.

Similar Products Used: none in its class
matthew hammersley   Downhiller [Oct 27, 2008]
Strength:

yes it has been a brilliant bike so far the suspension system works like a dream and is a very tough frame

the back suspension is to complicated to set up yourself.

it is good and at cwmcarn last week i did the quarry gap and i am only 14 years old.

Similar Products Used: glory
TIGER   Downhiller [Dec 07, 2006]
Strength:

awsome tool, does it all well and more, got the 05 frame in black. The bike's more capable than me to be honest. feels better than my 06 norco, fast.

weak shock works ok. to much to play with so hard to set up.

TOP BIT OF KIT

Similar Products Used: NORCO / STAB / SCOTT /
Nicolas Wood   Downhiller [Oct 05, 2006]
Strength:

frikin awesome bike, best handeling and shock absorption i have ever had, great for learning how to ride as it bassicly rides the trails all on its own. amazing bike, giant is my hero

......weakness?? dosnt seem to apear in this bikes vocab

great...if u got the cash to get one brand new then go for it but u can usually get it cheap off of ebay like i did

Similar Products Used: norco,giant stp 2,spcialized hardrock, ironhorse yakuza chimpira,ironhorse yukza kumicho
Bevan   Downhiller [Feb 07, 2003]
Strength:

SOlid as a house, Manitou dorado forks and swinger rear shock, Vet spec, ultra adjustable, killer good looks

Set up and bed-in time, shock accessability

After one run I felt faster and smoother with less pedalling effort than ever before - I cant wait untill the bike is bedded in and set up properly.

Similar Products Used: Craftyfarter DH205, Friends GT Idrive DH race, Specialized big hit, santa cruz super 8
Mark   Downhiller [Feb 18, 2003]
Strength:

Bike rides like a rocket, super quick and responsive. Comes ready to go besides the break in period for the Dorado.

The rear shock is hard to get to for adjustmens but its a downhill bike. Chain guide is loud will most likely change out.

Built to race and owns the trail. Corners on rails and jumps really good. The bike demands to be pushed further it will be a long time before I tap the potential of the bike. Looking forward to racing the bike after the 4 DH runs on the bike. :-)

Similar Products Used: Rotec DH pro and Kona
Michael Lopez   Downhiller [Jul 01, 2006]
Strength:

Completely insane!

None...

I can't even begin to describe how great this bike is, its by far superior to even the most up to date bike for 06. It is a legond...plain and simple.. the best DH bike I have ever riden...PERIOD!!!

Similar Products Used: Foes, Norco..bla bla bla
Nick   Downhiller [Jan 07, 2004]
Strength:

Corners really well because of low centre of gravity.Manitou Dorado's rides like a dream. No suspension bob and sprints like a hardtail. Simplely the best downhill bike I have ever ridden. Buy it!!!.

The rear shock is a pain to get to, but who cares it's a professional Downhill bike.

This bike has given me so much confidence over the bighit and made me faster at races. I did 11ft pancake landing and didn't even bottom out. The frame is bombproof and I am really please with it.It's worth five flammim chilis.