Giant AC 2 2003 Full Suspension

Giant AC 2 2003 Full Suspension

[Nov 15, 2012]
aaron sanchez is cool
Downhiller

Strength:

vary fucn for down hill

big heavy

fun ass bike to ride

kona

[Sep 10, 2010]
Itay.teshuva

Strength:

EVERYTHING suspension will take up every thing but theres no bob the frame is missile proof gears are flawless and easy to adjust suspension

nothing other then its a bit heavy but nothing you cant get used to

ITS AWESOME. i have ridden bikes worth twice as much as this and not 1 of then is close to being in the same league. i was looking for a bike that can keep up with hard tails on the way up and beat up DH on the way down and thats exactly what i got. if you want to take that 10 foot drop but also do the 20 mile xc course this is the bike for the job

specialized enduro

[Jun 26, 2010]
Mr.Enigma

Strength:

Oh golly, Barley any bob, beautiful geometry...it's endless

Heavy, but then what do you expect from a down hiller

Fantastic bit of kit. I got an Eibach on it before I used it as the old shock had it so I'm reviewing it modded, BETD rear gold arms to compliment and
loads of goodies. A very very smooth bike. Tad heavy but perfect, all black and gold for looks and with 8 inches of travel I'm a very happy man lol. It's certainly a fantastic bike with a beautiful geometry. I only use it for general mud,
which is a bit like using a fezza to go to the shops in.

[May 06, 2009]
toecutter1

Strength:

Geometry, weight, Rides anywhere NO BOB!

None thus far

This may be one of the most underestimated frames I've seen. Why giant discontinued this line I'll never know. I'm not in the habit of spending 2K or more on a bike. Found it on Ebay $$cheap$$ Built it up using all xt and some lx components. Tuned the suspension (new spring coil for the rear swinger and an old 02 z1 fork) It's not a DH bike I'd put it in the "lite" freeride category. However, with the right components and set-up it's a perfect balance of suspension and weight. Perfect for spirited DH runs in those places you were too chicken on your old xc Good all round aggressive XC bike. Bobs less than my old NRS! I had to kina "choose a line" with other XC bikes but no need now. I have ridden other bikes in this class and none have the climbing characteristics of this bike. I was initially afraid of the extra weight but I'm abeliever in that sacrifice now. You CAN take it XC and keep up with your hardtail buds but you're not going to win any xc races with it. The fun factor is the clincher though.

Giant NRS,hardtails, single speed

[Aug 02, 2008]
Slydee

Strength:

Good for trails and techy stuff, perfect bike to learn on. It can take quite a lot of beating.

More on the heavy side, some original components are crapy (hayes brakes, RF bb..). I totaly destroyed the rear rhyno lite but its known not to be the most durable rim. 2 bearings had to be changed, no more problems with the industrial bearings in.

Heavy for uphill, but the downhill part outweights all the suffering.

Tested kona dawg, scott nitrous, commencal supreme miniDH

[Aug 18, 2003]
Steve

Strength:

Swinger,Frame and set-up,brakes,XT derailers,Race Face Prodigy DH's and the psylo

fork is way to soft but it is gonna be fixed in a couple of weeks,rims(changing to Mavic D521),tires have loads of rolling resistence and pack up in wet conditions(changed to maxxis mobsters),and why would they put clip-ins on a freeride bike

This is a great bike for pretty much everything,great components,everything a light freeride bike should be.All of it is great,you can just get on and beat the $hit out of it without complaint(8 1/2 foot drops and a huge 40 foot gap as well as haevy,aggressive trail riding and dirt jumps.Overall this is one hell of a ride.BUY IT!!!!!!

[Aug 17, 2003]
Bob O'Bryan

Strength:

Extremely well built; I am a very large man (290 lbs.), and I like to do jumps. This bike is up to the challenge. It's got a great component selection (sans the stock Psycho... it's much to soft), and the ride is unreal. We're talking super plush here. The paint is very nice and tough as well. This bike is built to take abuse. The brakes are awesome. This bike makes you cocky and inspires confidence.

Two words: The Psylo. I've ordered stiffer springs however, and they're relatively inexpensive.

This is the best bike I have ever ridden. GET ONE.

Trek Liquid, Kona Stinky, KHS FR 1500

[Jul 05, 2003]
Glen

Strength:

Seems very strong and rigid despite multiple pivots, 8" hayes power, swinger rear shock, multi-travel settings, xt derailers, burly raceface cranks, can put seat down on 03 frames, strong wheels, price/value

Some brake jacking, takes a while to get used to weight, intermittent rubbing from discs, uncomfortable seat, raceface SRX BB is only recommended for XC use so don't know what it is doing on a freeride bike

I wanted a bike that I could do some decent riding/jumping on without worrying about braking it. My old rockhopper cracked under the pressure, literally. The AC2 has excellent spec for the price and has a few years of refinement behind it. However, the weight of the bike at approx 37lbs was somewhat of a shock for me but I am getting used to it. It doesn't feel heavy as such to manouvre but you tend to feel it on the uphills. You can't expect a bike to be strong and weigh nothing, simple as that. The AC is so much fun to ride I almost can't stand riding my xtc hardtail (rough as guts bike) anywhere. Anyone considering an AC2 should seriously look at upgrading to the Shermans, you will never look back. I got the Fireflys with firm-ride spring (I'm 176lbs) and 20mm axle and they are awesome!! I can't rate them highly enough and it seems I actually got what I paid for. The bike is a great package and I find myself lauching off anything that happens to be in front of me. It is great fun going as fast as you can and jumping parts of a trail that your mates can't for fear of mechanical failure. Another reason I chose the AC2 was the manitou swinger shock. Whilst I am having a little warranty issue at the moment (nothing major, slow leak at schrader valve) the shock pretty much does what it is supposed to provided you don't really stomp unevenly on the pedals and keep a relatively smooth pedal action on those long uphills you don't suffer to much. I run the 6.3" travel setting in the rear most of the time so the SPV shock is appreciated. In summary the only things that I wouldn't mind changing on the AC2 is the occasional brake-jacking of the rear end on really rough terrain and dropping a little weight. My next tyres will be Continental 2.3" vertical pro's with kevlar beads @ 600g and should save almost 1kg, cheap n easy. The Octopus tyres are good but I prefer the round prifile of the Verticals. So if you are looking for a well priced hardcore trail/freeride bike with excellent parts spec and are willing to look past the initial weight shock I think it is hard to go past the AC2. For me, only time will tell if the bike is durable but I can't imagine there will be any dramas. The AC2 might not make you faster from A-B, unless it is all downhill, but you will have a lot more fun getting there!

Specialized 2001 Rockhopper FSR with duke SL's, Giant 2003 xtc-se2

[Jul 04, 2003]
Simon V

Strength:

For the money I could not find a better bike,and I spent some time looking. The spec's are good and for some reason AC2 large frame. I have XT front and rear when it should have only been LX front. Does not feel heavy at all, weighs less than my old rigid and both have hit me in the back of the head.

Rear spring 500lb and weak Psylo's spring(fixable?). Oh and why would you supply clipless pedels on a bike you have to abandon on a regular basis, some times on purpose. The Chain stay is very thin walled and dents easly. The tyres Hutch/octopus are poor on wet mud but seem good on every thing else.

I am a lard arse 125Kg (275lb) so the rear shock spring is a bit weak at 500lb, the only upgrade is to a 550lb spring and 50lb is stuff all, what I need is a 600-650lb. In the mean time running the rear in the 5.3" slot stiffend up the rear just nice. This is an awsom bike.

AC1 (my mate bought this one at the same time i got mine, he can't ride it for a while, dislocated his shoulder going over the handle bar. love it pricey), KONA STINKY (specs are lower for the same money)

[Jul 04, 2003]