Foes The Fly frame 2003 Full Suspension

Introduced in 2002 as the much evolved successor to the famed Foes LTS frames, the Fly broke new ground in the tough arena of freeriding. Torture tested by pro freeriders Kris 'Krispy' Baughman and Dave Watson in 2002, the Fly has been honed further for 2003 with their input. Travel settings up to 8", floating disc brake mount, and Curnutt XTD shock put the Fly at the top of the class. The Fly features a massive 4 bearing main pivot, a Foes Swing Link™ for even further rigidity, Easton™ down tube, and of course, world famous Foes construction.

Randy   Weekend Warrior [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

*Pedals awsome very, little pedal bob "I am running the Curnut shock"
*Very well built, headtube area beefy
*Very adjustable travel, 6-8" depending on shock
*Very versatile bike, trails riding, freeride/huck, and dh

*Its is a bit heavy, but o'well
*Price is not the lowest, but you pay for what you get

If you want a do it all bike, that you can put it through hard abuse, this is the bike.

If you have any questions about the bike in anyway drop me an email.

Similar Products Used: Not much
Gofast O. Gohome   [Aug 22, 2003]
Strength:

Everything. Coming off of a bike I was fixing after every ride, I can't believe how much abuse this thing can take.

Hayes "new" hx-9 hd brakes. These aren't the frames fault, but run don't walk for the old Hayes.

This bike rules, and I'm past the new-bike-love-it phase. It will probably be my last bike. I keep flogging it, and it just gets better the harder you ride. No bobbing while pedalling, I've never felt it bottom since I got the appropriate weight Ti spring, no weird noises, even the paint is awesome. The stickers suck, but then again, who freaking cares?!! This thing is sooo balanced in the air, and the faster you go, the better the suspension feels. I know I'm due for a big getoff, because I can ride waaaay over my head on this thing. Drops? No problem. Tech? No problem. Speed? Just keeps getting better. Worth the $$, end of story.

Similar Products Used: Bullit, Stinky, RM7
Neil   [Sep 05, 2003]
Strength:

Balance, Craftsmanship, Finish, Ride,

A couple of bolts loosened up on swinglink and main pivot bolt but problem was easy to solve

The absolute best bike I've owned to date. It's balanced unbelievable and the weight is not noticeable while pedaling or hucking it around. You can feel that Foes put an unbelievable amount of time and effort into building this machine. Not knocking the bullit, but the ride compared is far better. I would highly recommend this bike. I am a heavy rider and have never owned a bike without serious noises. Not one to date with the Foes. This machine is indestructable.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz bullit
rolfe   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2003]
Strength:

Very solid bike, the curnutt shock is firm, yet forgiving, the floating brake is great for the skid sections, there is no lateral flex in the frame. Oh yeah, It can run a front derailleur. It's great, twice the workout on the way up, 4X the fun on the way down....

The tire will bottom against the seat tube on the biggest drops or hardest landings.

This is a very stable bike. The faster I go, the smoother the trail becomes. I can push my mind to the limits of speed and overcome the block of riding off a small cliff. The bike can handle whatever I dish out. If you are looking for an all mountain bike, this is it... It may be heavy, but I am happy to pedal it anywhere, and get the most out of my downhill! I recently got a Heckler for a 'lightweight' trailbike (it is so flexy- not at all confident inspiring), and it was then that I realized how well Brent Foes builds his bike. I have since ordered an FXR for my lightweight rig. If you are like me, one who enjoys the workout of a 40 pound bike, and likes to be safe on the way down, all the while maintaining maximum adrenaline, choose the Fly.

Similar Products Used: Foes LTS, Kona Stinky primo, Intense M1
Mo O   Racer [Feb 12, 2003]
Strength:

detail to finish,quality ,ride,durability-I have been riding Foes since Brent Foes started building bikes.He can build trucks and motorcycles to win Baja, so why not mountain bikes!

Not for the poor, but worth every penny. availabilty was a problem at first but worth the wait.

If you are a serious rider this is the bike. I challenge anyone to find a weak point on this bike. It will break you before you can break it. It manages to get up the hills but you wont win any XC races on it..If you do you should go after Roland Green or the Tour de France. Super smooth. Probably the last bike Ill ever need.

Similar Products Used: You name it...except Trek.
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 2003]
Strength:

3 rings. Floating disc brake. 8" travel. Awesome to just look at!

None that I have seen yet.

The ride is awesome. I was concerned about the weight at first because I was going from a 21lb hard-tail Cannondale to this. I couldn't see the bike built first and test it out, but I'm glad I took the plunge. I figures the more weight, the better the workout, and a hell of a lot more fun on the downhill. Ended up weighing exactly 41lbs. But with the 3 rings, you really can climb. A little pricy, but like everyone else has said about this frame, if you want the best, it's worth it. No regrets here!!!

Similar Products Used: Nothing similar to this. Went from a 21lb hard-tail Cannondale to this. Big difference!
Curt   Weekend Warrior [Oct 30, 2003]
Strength:

Looks great, pedals well. very plush and active pivot point makes it feel like a 4 bar only stiffer. Floating kit eliminates break jack.

HEAVY!!! Foes says 9.5 lb frame but my small weighs 10.9 lbs. A little steep in the head angle for this type of bike, Interupted seat tube looks well reenforced but mine cracked in the tunnell area in 3 places despite the nearly 11 lb weight and the fact that I've never done a drop bigger than 5 or 6 feet.

I dug this bike while it lasted because it does everything well despite the weight, head angle and seat tube adjustment problem. I hope Foes makes good on there reputation and my past dealings with them. I aquired this frame through a frame replacement deal on a broken out of warrenty frame so I have high hopes. I was told shortly after I bought the frame that due to some frame breakage at the bottle mounts that I would get a 2 yr warrante, I hope that applies to this problem. Either way I will post again after I get this resolved. I gave this bike 5 chili's before it broke, I think a bike this heavy and expensive should last for many years so only 3 chili's due to durability issues.

Similar Products Used: Foes weasle, Mcmahon Buff,Bullit, Intense Uzzi DH. All 6 inch bikes.
Will   Downhiller [Nov 24, 2003]
Strength:

Do Anything Frame, Great Customer Service, Great Cable Routing

Great all around bike! Foes is not afraid to stand behind there product one bit. The first frame I got the shock spring was rubbing on the insid of the frame. I sent it back to Foes and they replaced the front Triangle within a month. Put the bike all back together and it had not fixed the problem the spring was still hiting. Sent it back to Foes a second time and they replaced the whole frame no questions asked. The guys at Cambria played a big role in getting me a new frame but it was well worth it...Thanks Charlie!!

Similar Products Used: RM7, Stinky 9
Greg Perrin   Downhiller [Apr 07, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing Design, Great frame finish, Very good all around DH bike, and 8in of travel that accepts triple chainring!!!

A bit heavy but otherwise NO WEAKNESS!!!! Definitely get the Curnutt though

If you want a bike that has a DH type ride definitely buy this Bike. Worth every penny and I haven't had any problems yet.

Similar Products Used: Kona Stab primo, Ellsworth Dare, Intense M1, Any good DH bike
FrameBreaker   Weekend Warrior [Apr 29, 2004]
Strength:

Strength, balance and ability

Are you serious?

Inspires confidence. I've broken two I-Drives, a Trek hardtail and others in my youth so I decided to get the best and quit screwing around.

The thing you've got to understand about the Fly is that it is a working piece of art. Some bikes like the Specialized BigHit have got just as much travel but don't have the finesse of the Fly. Other bikes like the Rocky Mountain 7, have got some finesse but don't reach the level of strength, balance and performance of the Fly.

Bought my rig at the Downhill Zone in Seattle. Darren and Scott really know their stuff and helped pick components

Look at the frame and you'll see the shock is an integral part of the design and placed right in the middle of the bike's core. This placement allows suspension to fling off rocks, bumps, logs, whatever without creating a ride like a bucking horse. The Fly flows.

The Fly pedals awesome. Yes, it does. It initially accelerates faster than many other rigs but does have a weight penalty, especially going uphill. My rig is set up heavy at 45 lbs but could be set up to be in the high 30's.

On climbs, the Curnutt/Ti combo keeps the rear seated over roots, rocks actually helping going up the hill.

Point this thoroughbred downhill and you're in for the ride of your life. Pick your line and let the bike do the work.

Buy this rig if you've had a dual suspension bike and want to upgrade to the real thing. Seriously, the Fly takes the experience to a new, fresh level where creaking frames, puny, squeeky shocks, rattling four-bar linkages become distant memories and you can just ride and enjoy what we all love so much about mountain biking.

Got a great deal from Scott and Darren at the Downhill Zone in Seattle. They really know their stuff and helped pick out the best components for my rig, like the Hadley hubs. The Internet sites would have been cheaper, but not by much and I'm sure I got the right set up with local knowledge and support around the corner.

Similar Products Used: Demo'd SC Bullitt, RM 7, Specialized Enduro, BigHit, Yeti AS-X, etc