Foes FXC frame 2003 Full Suspension

Foes FXC frame 2003 Full Suspension

Now in its fourth year of production, the FXC is still the perfect choice for XC racing or trail use. The low center of gravity, single pivot swing-arm, Foes Swing-Link™, monocoque seat tower and perfect alignment bring together real results: superior strength and superior stiffness equal a superior ride. Using our experience building longer travel frames, the FXC is built light and tough, but has the refined descending traits of our other models. The FXC is ready for your next epic ride AND race...are you?

[Dec 07, 2008]
zona
Downhiller

Strength:

the weight of this frame is awesome, you can really build a light solid bike with this frame. It climbs and performs well.

The schock and seatpost setup. If you have a really long seatpost, it will touch the rear shock. But if you use a smaller seatpost, no worries.

In my opinion, this frame was king of frames until the FXR came along. For it's time, it was the best climber I had ever ridden (until the FXR came along). If you can't afford the $3K for an FXR, a previously-used FXC will def do the job. Hard to believe this thing was made hand-made (and in some cases by Brent himself is the word). Under 5lbs frame with a Fox RLC shock. The great thing about this "older frame" is the fact that you can run up to 2.4 rear ust tires. Most newer xc frames now won't even take anything pass 2.2. If you ever find one for sale, BUY IT! It will be a great ride for you(or a great 2nd bike).

Gary Fisher, KHS, Peugt, Santa Cruz, Foes FXR, and Foes xct.

[Aug 19, 2003]
John

Strength:

Great customer service from Foes, solid design, no side to side flex, light!! frame only 5 lbs with fox air shock.

I bought this frame used. After 6 months of use, it developed a hair line fracture in the rear triangle. Since I am not the original owner, I don't get the warranty. A Foes dealer told me that the price of a new rear triangle is $600 dollars...very expansive considering I only paid $1000 for the frame. This means I would end up spending $1600 for a semi-used frame.
As a last resort I called Foes and asked them for an alternative solution. In their words, "we hate to see any foes rider without a ride, so just bring back the frame and we will fix it and paint it for you for $150". What a customer service!!! I am a foes customer for life!! Sure a foes is more expensive than other name brand frame, but it is worthy of every penny you pay.

[Jun 07, 2003]
Art

Strength:

Solid Construction, Lateraly Stiff, Light Weight, Great climber, Great descender.

Cable routing, Me

I've had this bike for over 2 years and would recommend it to anyone who wants the best quality all American made XC FS.frame.My complete bike weighs a hair over 23lbs.This frame is flex free, and I have never had a problem with bearings. These are aircraft grade enduro bearings what more could you ask for. This bike rails on the downhill so well you have to remember that it only has 3" of travel before you get out of control. Climbing is a dream locked out or not. Thr biggest limitation is Me, the bike will just keep on going. I've worked in the bike industrie for over 8 years and have tried alot of XC bikes, this one a keeper for any stable of bikes you might have, or for the guy who wants the do everything short travel xc fs bike to race or just enjoy.

Foes LTS, KHS Alite 4000, Mantis Pro-Floater, Haro Extreme

[Jun 02, 2003]
Bill Steele

Strength:

Please see my previous review.

Bearing quality

Well I got another couple of rides under me and it seems that Foes decided to skimp somewhere afterall. The bearings are almost completely trashed after five times out on the trail. Although the replacement is easy to perform, that is a distressingly short service interval.
I wonder if other full squish riders have to replace their bearings on a monthly basis.
Once again I am back on my rigid DeKerf and loving every single maintenance free second I spend on it.
Please keep in mind that this in no way changes the performance rating of my previous review, but it certainly decreases the value rating due to the expense of regular bearing replacement.
I will be giving a three for overall on this review purely so that people will be aware that this frame does have some issues when they are just scanning the list of average ratings.

Please see my previous review.

[Feb 12, 2003]
Ryder Drumm

Strength:

Lightweight, strong, climbs like a goat, descends like it has more than 3" or rear travel. Corners like on rails, bombproof construction. Looks damn good, red frame with silver swingarm is what I have.

Let me think about this. You can only put one water bottle on it, it's a little tough to get to. Like that is a real weakness since most people ride with camelbacks.

Yeah this bike kicks ass. It climbs incredibly well and goes down just as nicely, I have used it in some flatter downhill races with different wheels and have finished in the top 10. It is so plush that it feels like it has a bit more then 3" of rear travel. Only tricky part is setting the BB. The crankarms get close to the rear swingarm but if you set it up right the first time you never have to touch it. It climbs, it descends, it corners, it's very light, it looks damn good and people stop and compliment you on it. Well go get one and treat yourself to a nice present/toy. I love mine and would not ride another XC bike, not even that new Specialized, I have ridden it and I like the Foes better. It descends much better and handles itself at speed giving the rider more comfort and control.

Foes LTS, Weasel, Norco Sasquatch, Specialized Big Hit, FSR, some Ellsworth's.

[May 07, 2003]
George

Strength:

construction, attention to detail, climbs well and turns like a hardtail. lock-out rear shock. overall great riding XC frame. The best I've tried

none....so far. there shouldn't be at this price point

argueably the BEST XC/ trail bike I've ridden!!! Foes excellent cutomer service and knowledge.

Intense Tracer, Santa Cruz Blur

[Sep 15, 2003]
iamblichus

Strength:

well made, light, strong, extremely stiff rear end. great customer support.

i ride a lot of tight single track so i would say that for me the frame geometry could be more aggresive.

when i first bought the frame i was a hardtail rider. i took me a long time to get used to the squish. the bike before the FXC was very quick and excellent for east coast single track. the FXC has a laid back geometry and was, at first, kinda slow. eventually i got the hang of it and learned how to use the suspension to quicken the ride. now that i am used to it, it works great. where this bike shines is on fast descents. it is extremely stable, zero flex, and you have great control. i remember the first time i went west with it-- i rode these long dry, rocky descents in NM-- when i got to the bottom of the mountain, i remember thinking "ok, now i understand the geometry FOES uses. if their XC bike descends like this, their DH bikes must absolutely rock." setup as it is, it weighs just under 24 pounds which is great for FS. i have never had a problem with the bearings and i ride in the nasty swamp like conditions of the east coast. actually that is one of the main reasons i bought this frame-- there is only ONE pivot, so less to go wrong. the reviewer is right about the BB. be patient-- once you get it setup, you'll be fine.

about the chilis. i give 5 for value because at 1300 this frame is a great deal in comparison to the cost of an Ellsworth, a Turner, a Ventanna, or an Intense. 5 chilis also for overall. i have never ridden a lighter FS XC bike that handles as well as this at speed. simply impressive.

i rode or tried almost every full suspension design out there. that's just me. i want to make sure i like what i was buying.

[Mar 29, 2004]
Purdiddy

Strength:

It's a Foes, tested and proven. Solid single pivot with swinglink, good bearings, nearly flex free, great geometry,great welds, tough paint.

They don't make it anymore, tougher hanger would be nice, but I guess that's the point.

Great xc/trail bike. Felt like more than 3" in the back, and climbed like no other. Not as harsh as the NRS and much sturdier throughout. I would say more efficient than my Spider with a 5th element over smooth ground and up hill. Descended well, not plush, but firm and extremely predictable. Pushes well into turns, very little flex in the rear for this type of ride and my weight(200lbs). Very happy, wish Foes still made it (maybe with 4+"?)with more shock options. Very nimble bike, easy to reach lockout. Took alot of abuse from a 200lb rider.

Giant NRS, Intense Spider.

[May 08, 2003]
Bill Steele

Strength:

Stiff under power, good standover, climbing and cornering geometry, supension performance, appearance.

Poor shock placement as I can't use the lockout, (although I am unsure why I would want to.)

I am not a full suspension convert here to preach about the glories of squish. Over the past 5 years I have ridden, in order, a Cannondale Super V, a Specialized hardtail with a dual crown fork and a Dekerf Team SL with a rigid fork. Of those bikes I enjoyed my full rigid the most. It would seem logical that my next bike would be a unicycle or at least a rigid single speed.

So it is with some surprise that I find myself riding a Foes FXC this year. I must say that the FXC has been in my local bike shop calling to me for the past year because it just looks fast, but I never thought I would be able to afford it. All things change however and the price came down to a level that I was comfortable with so I purchased it.

Wow!

This thing is great. It climbs without any apparent bob, the low centre of gravity gives it great cornering and the standover is welcome on technical trails. In short it excels under all conditions.

Compared to my Super V this bike climbs better, corners better and weighs less, (even with discs rather than V-brakes.) Compared to my Dekerf this bike is more comfortable in the rough without giving up anything on climbs. My old Specialized doesn't really compare.

Now I have a bike that betters the performance of everything that I have owned previously. My only complaint is that this frame is disturbingly expensive to purchase, although I got a screaming good deal, ( if you live in Ontario near Toronto, The Bike Zone in Port Credit always has some really good deals.)

Bottom line: This is for the rich rider with particular taste.

Cannondale Super V 1000, Brodie Devo single pivot (yes it is similar it is just built way stronger)

[Jun 09, 2004]
David Hickson

Strength:

Good climber, stiff rear end, descends like it has more than 3" in the rear, very plush suspension with very little bob (if any)all in a quality built frame. Rare find especially in the UK I think Leisure Lakes have one more left on offer £899

LOcation of shock makes it awkward to service, (just a little trickier than others)Cable routing if using v brakes in the rear, I used a full length of outer cable, (not a problem for disc brake users). Not made any more,

Better than an FSR and I think that is saying something, quality built boutique frame from a real frame building company.

S Works FSR, I loved this frame but the Foes is a league above