Ellsworth Truth 2003 Full Suspension

Ellsworth Truth 2003 Full Suspension

-International Standard disc brake mounts and replaceable derailleur hanger
-4" travel
-CNC machined swingarm linkage
-Shot-peened, anodized finish
-Compatible with 80 to 100mm travel forks

[Aug 18, 2003]
Homie

Strength:

Great suspension
Lightweight
Very nice cable routing (just wait until you fix a bike with bad routing)

Would like a "disc only" option.
100mm travel is the limit for forks.

The bike is good.

The Truth is active uphill and downhill unlike my old NRS. There is no brake or pedal induced lock up at all. I couldn't be happier with the ride.

With all the niceties, I wish I didn't have to use a zip tie for the rear disc cable housing.

My only thought: Since Giant is already paying the licensing fee to Specialized, couldn't they stop with the NRS design and just make a $2000 version of the Truth?

Anyway, I love the bike, just wish there was a way to get this kind of performance for cheaper.

2 years on a NRS-1
Demo'd many

[Jul 15, 2003]
Mike Markins

Strength:

Lightweight. Great handling. Easy to ride. Smooth shifting. Looks really cool. Has its own personality.

No weakness.

Great bike. A lot of fun to ride on the trails. The spot peaned finish is unbeleivable. The romic racing shock really soaks up the bumps. The service i received at www.richardsbicycles.com was excellent!!! I would recomend buying from them. They were VERY knowledgable!!!

Trek, foes

[Jul 12, 2003]
em

Strength:

I'll reffer to the frame only- Light, amazing shot peened anodized finish, no-bob, great climbing efficiency & traction, great downhill ability. Great geometry.

Can not accept a fork bigger than 4" . Price. Thin (at least seems so) top tube (in the middle).

One of the best rides out there. Best part is - you can spec this bike as an ultra light racer , or as a durable trailbike. The frame is light and efficient for racing use, yet has enough travel needed for trail riding.

Lots

[Jul 11, 2003]
ian holmes

Strength:

Not too heavy for a XC all day machine, not stupidly light it's gonna fail.
Climbs well, decends well.

Too early to really tell. I've certainly not found one yet apart from maybe the price.

After looking at loads of XC full suspension frames I finally got the list down to 3. Truth, Epic, or Superlight.

In the end the Truth won. Four bar linkage is active on the decent and not too obtrusive on the climbs. Nice stiff back end and superb build quality all at a sensible weight.

I bought the Frame in April and fitted out with the kit mentioned above. Not totally sure of the weight but think its around 26.5lbs.

As soon as I'd had the bike built I threw it in at the deep end and entered an 85k endurance race in the Vercor mountain range in southern France. Since then it's been to the French Alps and back down to Vercor on a number of occasions. Most of my riding is XC backcountry type stuff and for this the bike excels. I'm still making slight adjustments to the rear suspension (forks are now sorted and excellent by the way) as coming from a hardtail I had the rear suspension set too stiff but I've just about got it sorted.

It climbs well and my confidance for flying down rocky decents is growing all the time. It seems the more technical the climbing or decending the more I appreciate the bike. Rocky rutty climbs that would have my hardtail spinning looking for grip are now climbable and with full suspension I'm less beat up and ready for going riding the next day.

Marins, Suprlight, Epic.

[Jul 08, 2003]
Billy

Strength:

Quality of ride, Finish, Exclusive.

Me & no hydraulic brake hose guides on frame.

With some good advice from a friend who had been there & done that I went in search of the FS bike of my dreams which my good friend would also arrange & build up for me.

The type of ride I was after had to be plush, efficient, fully active, fast and light yet solid for trail riding.
I wasn’t interested in any sort of lockout, automatic or other. Good suspension designs don’t need any lockouts.

After riding an Ellsworth ID for a while on my local trail I realised how special these bikes were, hopping of a light XC hard tail & onto a heavy trail/free ride orientated bike and actually preferring the way the ID rode & pedalled was a real eye opener for me.

Finally I decided on the TRUTH, with seat stays from the ID which were disc specific.
I've set it up with a rear FOX Vanilla R coil shock & Vanilla RLC fork (also disc specific)
The frame was purchased at St Ives Cycles in Sydney (thanks Lincoln) all other components were bought over the internet mostly from Mountain High Cyclery. http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/indexpage.htm Thanks to Larry who helped my mate organise all the parts & made some good suggestions along the way.

While we are on the subject of names Inner City Cycles here in Sydney took $300 AU from me when I backed out of an order for a new Cannondale after only one day. They wouldn’t even let me put the money towards gear in their shop. The shop owner Ainsl’ (anus) was happy to take the lousy 300 bucks from me & never have me shop there again. Well that certainly isn’t a way to run a business! So beware of dodgy bike shops like those & make sure you read the fine print. Since then, that bike shop has missed out on thousands of dollars worth of sales, bikes & gear in which I either purchased myself or recommended to a many, many relatives & friends………….sucko!

Anyhow back to the TRUTH. Maximum traction is the key to good climbing; I like to have the rear wheel follow the terrain at all times the TRUTH certainly doesn’t need a rear lock out. Just sit and spin smoothly up & out of anything. Even in wet slippery mud/clay, pick the right low gear and snake your way out of it without a fear of sliding down a slippery gulley which is what the rest of my group ride did the other day.

The other must was the frame had to have a proper horst link with the brake floating
to help eliminate brake jacking whilst braking & descending. The TRUTH allows the rear suspension to be fully active & independent whilst braking on a steep, rough downhill. The TRUTH BOMBS downhill, just let go the brakes & hang on. If you are in the market for a new FS bike and don’t know what I am talking about, get out and learn about it, it’s too late once you have laid down the cash for a single pivot brake jacking hyped up bobbing machine (see Inner City Cycles they can recommend a good one).

ICT does work; the bike instantly feels responsive to pedalling, just like a hard tail. It may bob slightly if your pedalling technique isn’t perfect but that doesn’t seem to affect overall performance. Your lap times will actually be faster than with a hard tail as I discovered. My last bike was a CAAD 5 Cannondale hard tail which weighed 24lbs the TRUTH weighs less than 27lbs (26.6 actually) and I cannot notice the difference in weight. Because of the fully active rear end you get cat’s claw like traction, the TRUTH actually out climbs the Cannondale hard tail; in fact the TRUTH’s climbing ability really needs to be experienced to be believed.

The TRUTH really does handle single track incredibly well, the bikes geometry and dimensions felt comfortable to me from the first ride, the thing really handles superbly. Again if I can compare it to the Cannondale the Ellsworth has allowed me to clear tight technical sections which the Cannondale really struggled with. Another thing I have noticed is that the TRUTH frame feels incredibly stiff whilst riding, just as stiff as the CAAD 5. Although we all know that it’s the rider not the bike, the TRUTH definitely has made me a better rider.

Sure you can get other FS bikes with Horst Links that do similar things i.e. Intense Tracer, Titus Racer X, Hammerhead, Turner, Specialized and the like, but at the end of the day one look at the shot peened anodized frame with the laser etched Ellsworth graphics & my mind was made up.

If you want to have a look at her (still unfinished when photo taken) go to;

Ellsworth ID, Cannondale F800, Giant NRS1.

[Aug 23, 2003]
Paul Masson

Strength:

Climbs better than my old superlite on smooth climbs and way better on tricky traction testers.Long top tube allows for a shorter stem (100mm)and consequently steers through tight singletrack oh so slinky! Rear end very flickable (stiffer laterally than single pivot) Routing for SRAM rear gives smooth cable run into mech' (once rear seat stay had been drilled out to allow full length outer / easier cable changes)Frame weighed in bang on the money at 5.3lbs.

Would have really liked one in a lacquered candy apple green paint job to allow for more post ride polishing... Seriously the rear internal cable routing is a right faff, but sorted out with 5.5mm drill and full length outer through seatstay, essential in Northern Scotland.

Makes me giggle,goes up and down better than my old s'lite (which lets face it is none too shabby itself)and slices rocky mountain singletrack like a recently sharpened sharp thing.Knocked it down on value because lets face it this is a very expensive piece of kit, and if you don't ride rocky,rooty trails then a nice steel hardtail would do nicely,but I don't so it wouldn't.

Everything ! Turner / Santa Cruz (Blur and S'lite) / Specialised / etc, etc

[Aug 27, 2003]
Kevin

Strength:

Light weight. Balanced handling. Effecient pedaling and climbing. Anodized finish.

Better bike than I am rider.

I love riding the Truth. I just returned from Moab and confirmed how much fun this bike is to pedal up hill and down. Great bike for cross country riders and some racing. Not a a bike for free riders (Buy an Id instead).

Cannondale Raven, Proflex, Two styles of K2 FS

[Aug 28, 2003]
Beth Clark

Strength:

The spot peened is excellent. I went with the Romic racing shock. The ITC tracks very well. The sealed pivot points are a pleasure, no maintance. Lifetime warranty. The frame looks like a peice of art, and its the best.

NONE, you get what you pay for.

Its the best bike that I've ever owned. I couldn't be happier. It's sure a little easier to get out of bed in the morning. The bike climbs just as well as my homegrown and even better, the back wheel sticks to the ground more than on my hardtail. Its much faster than I thought it would be considering that its a full suspension bicycle. I have no regrets about buying this bike. , and the place I purchansed it from either, RICHARDSBICYCLES.COM. I coudln't have asked for any better service. They are outstanding, especially with any adjustments that I need in a hurry. The bike was built flawlessly, and there's no doubt that they are a pro shop.

Schwinn homegrown, Trek 8000

[Aug 31, 2003]
Christian Long

Strength:

o Very strong descender
o Beautiful paint job
o Pretty light

o Not as fast as other FS on the uphill
o Price, even compared to other high-end frames

Reading these comments and listening to a friend of mine that really loves his Truth, I really considered this bike when I bought my new frame in March this year. I remember riding my friends bike last year when he got it. My first impression was that it felt a little loose, a bit noodlish. I assumed that the suspension wasn't adjusted for my weight. I know that this goes against most of the comments here so I took it for a full trail test this Spring.

I rode White Ranch in the Denver foothills the day after I rode the exact same trail with a demo Yeti ASR. I really wanted to like the Truth, I loved the paint job and it would have been fun to ride the same as my friend too.

The bike felt exactly the same as I remembered from a year ago: loose. It kind of felt like other all mountain bikes that I tried before that have a lot of travel. I tried different suspension settings but I could not eleminate the bobbing when pedaling. It is a very comfortable ride but it didn't feel efficient compared to the Yeti. Everytime I ride with my friend, I see him bob even on the flats. Many of the reviews say that there is no bob so I don't understand how me, my friend (who rides all the time) and the bike shop pros can't eleminate the bob on this bike. My friend also needed his frame replaced because it broke (the lower tube, close to the headset). He didn't have many problems other than being out of a bike for about 3 weeks.

On the other hand, the downhill capabilities are impressive. The rear suspension was the best I tried for downhill, very stable, very comfortable. Also, this bike looks great.

I ended up choosing the Yeti ASR and for me, that was the best I could get for my style of riding. The Yeti frame is truly bob free, has similar quality craftmanship but 20% less expensive. That leaves me to say that the Truth is a little too much $, maybe its the paint.

Now own a Yeti ASR, previously owned a Specialized FSR-XC, also tested Rocky Mountain ETSX and Element, Cannondale Jekyll.

[Jun 06, 2003]
Biz S

Strength:

Legendary reputation

Price

I just wanted to brag about my setup to you all....all '03 spec'd parts, this rig cost me my left testicle. I'm thinking about lightening things up a bit with higher pedals and saddle, but God knows everything else is good and light already. No compromise on the fork--I'm liking it even though it's a bit of a pig, but RockShox forks are too flexy, and I couldn't get my 'Zocchi Marathon fork on my other bike to feel plush enough. I could go carbon crankset, but I feel more secure on Shimano. So what if it's a ~28lb package? I'll still blow by all you losers 'cuz I lift weights too, and I'm huge! 5 flamin' duck turds all 'round!!!

Kona Kula hardtail, Specialized M4 Stumpjumper