Diamondback Coil 2003 Full Suspension

THORKROMM   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2009]
Strength:

GREAT SUSPENSION, DECENT COMPONENTS

SEAT STEM IS TOO SHORT.

Bottom line, I have ridden this bike for over 5 years riding serious trails all over PA and NJ and the bike has performed incredibly well....I have replaced the chain 2 times, and have replaced both rims (due to accidents)...

This bike is a great buy for the money eventhough I bought one of the first ones for sale about 5 years ago.
After 5 years and over 2000 miles the bike still looks/ performs amazing.

Similar Products Used: GT MOUNTAIN BIKE, TREK MOUNTAIN BIKES
kenscannon   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2009]
Strength:

Good tires,strong frame

Front and rear deralleurs will not stay alined,rear shock and fork are weak.heavy on climbing

wouldn't waste my money with this bike unless your not planning to ride real trails, good for riding around town.

Similar Products Used: NEXT mountain bike from walmart,Cannondale Rize 5 just bought
Shadawa   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2003]
Strength:

The price is solid for how well this bike holds up. For the findable sub 300 price, this beats out really all competiton. The suspension is very active, but as a trail bike the coil does the trick. The simple rim brakes beat the heck out of the promax mech. discs found on the ss.

the rear end has a very heavy feel to it. the suspension is very active. the components are not top end, and at the price the bike is owned by many people who are not huge in biking and not great garage mechanics -- the problems found by others in this review could be avoided by solid bike mech skills or higher end components.

late ninties/ early twenties, diamondback (dbr) went bankrupt and was purchased by raleigh america. The great bikes they produced in the growing mtb world were replaced by second rate bikes that hurt their name. this has been turning around and the 2003 bikes show it. At all price ranges, diamondback is turning out bikes that are top quality in comparison to others at the same price.

Similar Products Used: have tried most all diamondback bikes for the last number of years.
Schwinng   Weekend Warrior [Jul 05, 2003]
Strength:

A lot of bike for the money. Great paint job. RST low-tech susp. fork works great. "X-Fusion Tough Shock MA" ... I have no idea about this company, but the shock works very well. Comes with a 550 lb. coil spring, which works well for me (I'm 190 lbs.) -- might be a little too stiff for sub-160 pounders. Cockpit size and feel is very good. Switch out the stock stem for a longer one though -- stock one is waaay to short and doesn't permit a good stretch on ascents. Cheap wheelset, but they roll very nicely. Cheap brakes (Tektro), but they stop very well, too. The Kenda tires aren't bad, but aren't great either -- they're not inspiring, but readily do the trick ... they kept the traction on ascents, and didn't have probs on the descents or cornering. I inflated them to 45 PSI, which seemed to be just right for me to avoid excessive tire drag, but also to take off some of the sting off of jolts and bumps on the trail. Saddle is pretty comfy, but I switched it out for a Specialized Body Geometry for a weight savings and prostate protection. Ride: This bike rides surprisingly well, esp. given its price. It handles even-tempered, not requiring any special body language to keep the front tire hooked up to traction on corners, descents, or ascents ... very good balanced ride. I can't believe what I read from the other reviews of this bike. I stood on my pedals on the ascents to check for excessive bob, but didn't get any. In fact, there's a slight lock-out effect when pedaling out of saddle. I double-checked this today on a ride -- when I sat down in the saddle after being out of saddle, the rear suspension then settled back nicely into the preload position I set for it, and was more animated/active while I was in the saddle. HOWEVER, standing (while NOT pedaling) also gives you nice, active rear suspension action. Again, I'm 190 lbs., and if I couldn't get the bike to bob much out of saddle, nobody can (within reason).

Fork and rear triangle accommodate disc brakes, in case you want to upgrade.

This bike is heavy, but what do you expect from a $350 mtn bike? The frame alone is probably a culprit. Weird, but I've seen the frame advertised as 6061 aluminum, but all models I've seen (including the Coil SS) have 7005 aluminum. What's up with that?

Cheaper, low-end parts. But, I'm not complaining because they're all good, functioning components. No, nothing on this bike is chi-chi, but the frame's appearance is noteworthy -- that paint is just excellent, and comes with a very nice clear coat on top of the paint (which also covers/protects some of the bike's signage/decals - nice!)

Cheap plastic Wellgo pedals should be replaced. I broke a pair of these on an old Mongoose hardtail a few years back.

7 speed tranny. Although the rear cassette sports a 34-tooth "Mega" cog, the crankset has a 24 granny up front. Why not have the typical 22-32-42. Due to this bike's weight, if you're not in pretty good shape, the 22 front ring would've been nice to have for steep ascents.

This bike would've costed you over $1,000 just 4-5 years ago. Sure, you would've had slightly better grade of components (STX, STX-RC, or maybe even as high as LX), but you can still upgrade some components on this bike and come out ahead. In terms of functionality, this bike is excellent. I was shocked to see how well this bike handles on the trails, and for $350???!!!

Weight will always be part and parcel of a sub-$1,000 dualie, so get over it already and stop making unfair comparisons to higher-end dualies -- at least we're comparing green apples with red apples, and not apples and oranges, happily. I'm guessing that this bike weighs around 33-34 lbs. But, if you can afford to lay off a few McDonald's Big Macs or Quarter Pounders, or stop supersizing everything, you can make up for the weight differential in a few months, save a few bucks, and add on a few more years to your life, too. Let's stay real, ok folks?

My ratings reflect value and overall rating for a $350 full suspension mtn bike.

Similar Products Used: I owned a 1997 Diamondback V-Link 1.0 which was very similar to this bike, except not as nice as this one. Weird, because the V-Link cost me $1,100, but eventually went on blow-out sale at Supergo at around $700. Components were Alivio and STX grade ... just slightly higher than on this bike. But, again, functionality is very comparable.
Larry   Downhiller [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

There are a number of strenghts in the DB coil.. It has a very sturdy frame that doesnt stop on plain trails.. I have taken it down some serious downhill singletracks and it feels more solid that my Giant hardtail. The Long shocks are nice for those nice drop offs and the rear suspension despite being middle class/ a little sub part, feels good and is adjustable.

The axels in the back and front hubs are really really weak. Like I said earlier.. I have taken this bike on trail that most people would opt out of. Lots of drops and lots of jumps and it has taken its toll.. I have the back rim in the shop right now. Going off of a step on the slickrock trail, I broke the back hub. Im getting a stronger back rim and hub but its going to run me about 80 cold ones.. something that I wished I looked at when I bought the bike

Good bike for the price.. but you might want to swap out the rims when you buy them or ask the dealer to cut you a deal when you buy the bike.. other than that, its been the nicest bike that I have bought so far.. it loves Moab and eats rocks and mud for breakfast.

Similar Products Used: Giant 500s
Joe Smoe   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

I guess it has a hefty durable shock, if it has held my obese friend, Albert, for this long. If his obese body did not snap the frame, no body will.

It only comes in crappy colors, and the frame is obese itself. It is a very heavy bike, and I do not think is worth the price you pay for it, and it looks very "stark trekish."

The bike is very durable, like I said if it has held my friend Albert for this long, but yet it is not quite worth the price that dealers sell it for. If the bike started to work out and loose a few pounds, it would improve its skills tremendously. One other thing that I mentioned was the bike looks very, "star trekish". I think the bike is greatly similar to Mr. Spock from star trek.

David Clark   Weekend Warrior [May 24, 2003]
Strength:

Fully-Customizable Suspension, Frame durability, Drivetrain durability, Easy Gear changes, Easy ride, Light-weight Frame, Great breaks

I have yet to come across any weaknesses.

I'm a very active teenager, when given something to do. I decided that if I wanted to stay in shape, now would be the time to do so. The regular working out inside didn't allow me to get out and move enough, so I went out and got this beautiful machine, after previewing, re-previewing, and disecting all Mountain Performance bicycles on the top five charts.

Around the city, the bike handles wonderfully. The bike practically propells you to ride faster, whether that be a good thing or not.

On leisue trails, such as the river-side paved trail we have here, the bike shows that it can just as easily be a leisurely bike as it can a performance machine. With the smooth ride and the cush seat, it makes an easy ride.

In the mountains, though, the machine's inner beast is released and practically posesses its rider. I'm a beginner mountain-trekker, but that doesn't stop me from having a good time. Down a steep incline, the bike can easilly be controlled with application to the rear breaks and your own weight distrobution. Uphill, it's quite simple to lure the bike's feather-weight frame up and over rocky inclines. Through mud, gravel, and rocky straights, it handles like a Land Rover handles a stream; sweetly seducing the oppostion to succum and let the machine pass.

Overall, as you could probably guess, it's a wonderful machine. I recommend this bike to any mountain-trekker and someone who wants a smooth ride when taking some bumps. If you're just riding around town, though, I would recommend one of Diamondback's Cross or Leisure bicycles.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose Wing Comp
Gregg Pickens   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2003]
Strength:

Price

Plastic Pedals

I did quite a bit of research before deciding to test ride the Coil and the Trek Y 26. I found them to be very comparable in ride and handling. Bottom line was the Coil was $70 less and I just could not justify the difference in price for the Trek. I guess Lance has to get his cut too. So far I am very pleased with my decesion. The Coil rides well, the suspension adjusts to my style and terain, the brakes are fantastic for what they are and the quality of the paint is impressive. You got to think that a company that pays that much attention to the paint must have thought out everything pretty well. I have put about 50 miles on it so far and it's ready to have the cables adjusted which my bike shop said they would do for free. I am looking forward to each ride.