Castellano Fango 2003 Full Suspension

Castellano Fango 2003 Full Suspension

• 1.25 inches of pivotless, progressive rear wheel travel
  • Only 4.4 pounds for frame with the rear shock. Same as the titanium version!
  • Heat-treated and custom extruded 6069 aluminum chainstay
  • Custom-butted and heat-treated 6061 aluminum front triangle
  • Castellano low maintenance and easily adjustable Critically Damped Elastomer rear shock
  • Reliable and plush two-stage travel
  • Now available in luscious Fango Blue

The Fango's predecessor, from designer John Castellano, is the Ibis Ripley.

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 28, 2010]
    iceaxe

Strength:

Light weight, agile, excellent geometry, very innovative design.

Could use a touch more tire clearance in the back.

I have riding this bike for 5 years and it just never gets old. It's like riding a bike with a huge rear tire except you don't have the extra rolling resistance. The geometry is the perfect balance between a twitchy race bike and a capable descender. It climbs like nothing else powered by pedals, so leave your silly "goat on crack" or Scalded cat" analogies at home. The real testament to this bike is that while 1.25" of travel is enough blunt most XC trail rocks & roots, it isn't enough to blunt it's sprinting ability. Dual suspension bikes come and go, but I will never get rid of my Fango.

Moots YBB

[Mar 02, 2009]
    ulockjustice

Strength:

great geometry. reliable. enough squish in the rear to take the edge off but still lay down the power when you need it. paint job still looks great 7 years later.

having to explain to people that its ok to have an aluminum soft-tail, and no, im not worried that its going to break.

been riding/racing this frame all over the place since '02 and its still rocking strong for any doubters of an aluminum soft tail. it probably has over 200 races on it at this point, from XC to short track to 12/24 hour solos and even a few DH races thrown in for good measure. Its also seen its share of epic rides from tsali to pisgah to angelfire, snowshoe, mt snow and too many others to name. hats off to castellano for a solid product which i would recommend to anyone looking for a good all round XC ride, and that i would buy again in a heartbeat if this one should happen to fail somewhere along the line.

trek 8900, litespeed toccoa, salsa ala carte

[Aug 18, 2003]
    christopher morris

Strength:

great climber, defenitely better at it than i am. solid ride. relatively quiet. amazing acceleration. comfort, comfort, comfort... and a little more comfort.

front end pushes wide thru turns if i get a little front heavy on the bike. rear shock can rebound a little too quickly.

a great bike for all day riding and xc racing. defenitely feels as though it can be ridden a little more aggressively than it is built for.

never owned a softail before

[Jun 17, 2003]
    Aus10

Strength:

rides like a rocket

none that i could see

I work at west end bikes on sundays and we just got one of these bikes in. If you are a xc rider and are looking for the perfect bike look no further. this bike has an incredible feel to it and i am convinced that it is going to be the next frame i am going to save up for. we sell specialized epic's and those bikes don't compare to the fango, sure they are nice but the fango works better!!

Demo'd only, but if i had one i would be the happiest person on earth

plenty of other products used

[May 23, 2003]
    Alan

Strength:

It rides like a hardtail, but without the jarring and traction loss.

Haven't found any.

If you like a hardtail, but want a bit of suspension, get a Fango. It rides like my hardtails, only at the end of the day I don't have any lower back pain. I guess it is the perfect bike for "old school" riders. It climbs great as the rear tire doesn't skip out on roots or rocks, but without the weight penalty of a true full suspension. Descending is smooth as long you avoid the big rocks. Its a great single track bike.

Ibis Mojo,Ti Serotta

[Jan 10, 2004]
    Kevin

Strength:

Simple hassel free design. You don't need a doctors income have a quality soft tail. Good support from John and David.

My wife is a widow in the summer because I ride it to much.

Fun, fast and hassel free design. What more could you want?

Santa Cruz Heckler and a few hard tails. To quote another, "I touched a moots once".

[Feb 24, 2006]
    Tod Merrill

Strength:

I like the weight of the frame 4.5 lbs.and it's simple design. The shock is very easy to tune and is never stiff in cold weather.So smooooth!

The only thing i've run across in the year that i've been riding it is the bottom bracket is a little higher then i'm used to. It does clear obstacles well though.

I've ridden alum.,carbon,ti,and steel that is real. I was very interrested in this type of design over full susp. I wanted the best if I was going to ride a frame. I love how
    the bike feels, it's fast and very smooth.It climbs like a goat and I was totally blown away by it!
    Buy this frame if your thinking about a soft tail ride you won't be sorry!

I also own a breezer storm full XTR and a team marin that I replaced with the Fango.

[Dec 02, 2003]
    John

Strength:

Climbing ability,rear sticks to trail.Bike is excellent in smoothing out the little chatter bumps.

Still looking

I'm the type of person who will not bother to write a review unless I'm unhappy with something,the Fango has changed that.Long time hardtail rider,built this bike in april of 03 after test riding it at 24 hours of Temecula.It is the best climber I've ever ridden,hands down!!!!Not to compare the two but I have a 03 Blur vpp which is a very stable climber,but when I ride the Fango I climb in a 2 to 3 higher gear.I use this bike to race Xterra's(off road tri's)and for the first 6-7 hours of 24 hour race's.I'll ride the Blur for friendly group rides and for the night rides of 24 hour race's where comfort and downhill handling are more of an issue.If you hate being the last one up the hill buy this bike.I'f your more into 2 to 3 foot dropoff's look else where. Bottom line from a cross country rider,If I could keep only one bike(which the wife say's is a good idea) I'd say good bye to the Blur.

Trek 9.8,Various other hardtails

[Jan 30, 2005]
    Cycledelic

Strength:

just-right geometry, light, beautiful frame, working design

only a caution: the elastomer shock has to be tweaked to the rider's weight for best performance. Done easily enough with a BB tool.

After years on a hardtail, I thought I wanted a little more cush, so I started checking out FS rigs - all felt uncomfortable or unresponsive compared to my old, stolen ride.

Gravy Wheels, my LBS, suggested I try out the Fango: it felt like a good hardtail, just with a mite of comfort worked into the rear. It looked really sharp with the jetplane chainstays, breezer dropouts and funky rubber elastomer. And, what's most important, the geometry felt better than any of the other dozen bikes I tested.

Sold. But Castellano suggested an even smaller frame for me than the demo I tried... a 15" frame for a 5'8" rider? I was uncertain but trusting when I received the build.

Once I took it out for a spin, I was blown away. Even on the Fisher HT I rolled for six years, I didn't have the same mind/machine connection I instantly earned with this bike.

The Fango improved my climbing, downhill and technical ability from ride 1, and now with three months and 700 miles on the dirt, I can't be happier. This bike is FAST and like a laser through the tight and twisty.

demo'ed various higher-end XC-specific models from Gary Fisher, Giant, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Yeti and Cannondale.

[Jan 27, 2005]
    Larry

Strength:

This bike has improved my climbing ability at least 25% . I used to work hard to keep up with the pack , now I can stay in front and have a conversation and get a break waiting for slower riders. The rear suspension is just enough to smooth out the bumps on the downhills if your not looking to get big air the travel is just right. I did not expect this bike to climb the way it does, I just figured it was the rider not the bike - this bike can help alot. If climbing stronger and going downhill a bit smoother and faster is a desire than this is a great bike for you.

Not used to suspension , the increased downhill speed leads to the possiblity of front end was outs in gravel and sharp turns. Need to remember to slow down before turns and poss get beafier tires for a better bite.

If your looking for a great all around bike that will improve your climbing consider this bike. If you love your hardtail and dont want to give it up because of wt,response,climbing, this is the perfect alternative.