RockShox Sid Race 2003 Front Shocks

Adj: Positive & negative air pressure via Schrader Valve

DAMPING: NEW! PURE DeLITE
Adj: Rebound

Canadian rider   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2010]
Strength:

Awsome fork it's almost 8 year's old my trek 9.8 and the fork work's eally well it's much lighter than the newer Sid's (just over half pound lighter)

Great fork!!!! pleased with the performance!!! You just need to know how to use a sid fork!!!

mr :p   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

smooth travel , weight..?

smooth travel , all the 35 mm....;o)

Great fork for rigid lover XC`ers... For long travel lovers , not...

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi MX comp ETA , RS Indy (with similiar travel)
g matt   [Jul 11, 2003]
Strength:

It's light, expensive, cheaply made.

It's broken more than it works. Rockshock kept it for 2 1/2 weeks "fixing it"

I've had my new Giant NRS for about 2 months. It's been in she shop for 3 weekends. Two repairs in the shop and one factory repair in CO Springs. If you love to hang around the shop and talk about biking rather than doing it, this is the shock for you. It's cheap crap and the customer service is on par with a standard cell phone company.

CRAP! Avoid!

Similar Products Used: Cheap plastic toys
Jeff   Racer [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

Light, Smooth, Lots of settings to fine tune

Lots of settings to fine tune

Excellent race fork, for those willing to spend the time to fine tune it.

Good fine tuning actually requires that you know what all four settings do and how adjusting any one setting will affect all the other three settings. If you don't understand this, it is a bit more hit and miss and you could certainly end up with any one of the so called problems described by others on this page. Going through a large rang of settings I've been able to induce and REMOVE every described problem on this page (with the exception of oil leaks, haven’t had any).

Installed weight is actually LIGHTER THAN CLAMED!

Nobody rides around with a foot long steerer tube so cut it to length before you weigh it!!! Depending on your frame size and number of spacers you'll find the weight about that clamed. If you’re a true weight weeny you'll drill, hack and file off the extra brake mounts you’re not using too.

80mm travel AS CLAMED!

Just letting the air out the positive chamber is not enough to measure all of the travel. The bumpers are actually compressible so that if you land that drop nose first your wrists will appreciate the last 4-6mm of travel at the bottom. The clunk they don’t make if you top out is due to the 2-3mm of bumper compression at the other end. (turn the bike upside down and pull the wheel up if you don't believe me). 73-74mm + 4-6mm + 2-3mm = Clamed travel!

No noticeable flex, I'm 62kg (137pounds).

To Dave from Thousand Oaks, a new Sid Race comes with a shock pump and instructions if you didn't get them on eBay you can download the instructions, and get yourself a pump, use it first on your positive chamber, bottom out will disappear. Make shore you have some damping pressure then turn the rebound at least a couple of full turns towards the little rabbit, ‘clunking head set noise’ should disappear. If you’re now topping out to much for your taste add some negative chamber pressure.
Now if the whole thing feels a bit stiff try more damping pressure and/or dropping both the positive and negative pressures at the same time etc. etc.….. It takes time but once tuned in the Sid Race is heaps better than the old Sid XC.

Happy riding.

Similar Products Used: 1999 Sid XC, others non air
David   Racer [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Light, but not as light as claimed. The fork weighs 2.96
pounds, not 2.66.

Low travel. I've read other reviews about getting only 73 mm with the spacer removed, but I'm not even getting that much. The fork bottoms out frequently on fairly tame terrain. I weigh 165 pounds. Another problem is an obnoxious clunking noise. It sounds like the head set is loose, or worse. I had it rebuilt and got no improvement or indication that anything was wrong. I'm putting my 2001 SID XC back on. After all, it is only 0.25 pounds heavier.

I can not recommend the SID Race to anyone. Maybe I got a lemon, but it's all I have to go on. If you want a great fork get the Skareb Super. It's only 0.25 pounds heavier than the Race.

Similar Products Used: SID XC, Skareb Super (test ride which made me REALLY regret buying the SID Race) The Skareb is clearly superior.
Pat   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2003]
Strength:

Light. Easity to maintain.

misrepresented travel. stiction

The product works well for a race only fork. It's very stiff and has stiction issues, or is it bushing play? When I hit a bump (with rebound damping high) at slow speed, I feel a sticky delay. It reminds that I hit a bump instead of erasing it. The only remedy to this is to decrease rebound damping higher than I'd like, and then I feel a slight top out. Not a good trade off.

The worst part of this fork is that the travel is off. It's only a 73mm fork. The bumper stop mechanically limits the fork to 73mm instead of the claimed 80mm. I emailed rockshox and the rep said he only got 74mm travel. He also said that their catalogue shows a +/- 3mm tolerance, but I've yet to see that catalogue. The website doesn't show it and neither is it advertised as "80+/-3mm". Don't know about the legality, but I think that's a bit shady.

The forks price has dropped considerably and so if one is looking for a light weight *limited* travel race fork, this is it. For general XC, it's not worth the claimed weight advantage. Only die hard weight weenies who really don't care about suspension should get this fork.

Similar Products Used: skareb
Hank Jien   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2003]
Strength:

-excellent responsiveness on bumps
-superlight
-good looking
-effective rebound adjustment

-kind of flexy, you can notice it if you run V-brakes
-(heard some bad reputation, eg. inner parts of fork, haven't done any overhaul so don't know yet.)
-not good for small dirt jumping or just tiny drops
-plastic parts(outside)

If we talk about pure cross country, which is exactly what it is designed for, it would be an excellent fork. It absorbs the small stuff better, in other words, an excellent trail fork. The weight is also excellent. Then, when it comes to running V-brakes on it, you'll notice that theres actually flex. Some people don't know what flex is and start using the word flexy but if I hadn't ran V-brakes on it I wouldn't of been able to tell. When the V-brakes are installed, WHILE RIDING WHEN PUSHING ON THE FORK, you will notice that the pads start rubbing the rims. Then when you don't push on it, theres no rub, when you roll the wheel. I think that only discs will solve but maybe not.

This fork is not meant for dirt jump and tiny drops. The kind of "smooth" you get on it is air smooth, and on Marzocchi you get oil smooth. You wouldn't want air maybe Zocchi's system for drops. So I guess this would be the fork if you do pure Cross Country racing but not for anyone that does cross country, dirt jumping, and little drops.

I heard that this fork has bad internat parts...has anyone heard any?...email me if you know any internal problem.

Similar Products Used: 2001 Marzocchi Z5, 2003 Marzocchi DJ III, 2000 Marzocchi Z2 X-Fly, Top Gun junk, and RST junk
Dennis Romano   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2004]
Strength:

I found myself liking the climbing ability of this shock very quickly. I was concerned about blowing the seals since I weigh 228 pounds but to date no problems. Hold air pressure very well. Pure Delight system works as advertised. Dial in the positive and negative air pressures first and then tune in the threshold break point.

Very narrow width only allows up to a 2.1 inch tire.

I am impressed with this shock. I have dropped an occasional 2 foot drop with no problems. Climbs very well. Can be dialed in to suit you needs. I run mine at 160 positive, 130 negative and 30 pure delight. I weigh 228 pounds. Very light.