RockShox Duke XC U-Turn 2003 Front Shocks

Adj: U-TURN

DAMPING: NEW! HC2
Adj: Rebound

Dr. Awesome   Weekend Warrior [Mar 26, 2010]
Strength:

PLush, Travel control, decently light

I wish it had air pressure control, easy to bottom out

It is a nice plush shock and is very nice for going over bumps.

Similar Products Used: none
Will   Racer [May 29, 2008]
Strength:

+great looking white lowers
+easy to adjust U-turn
+Easton stanchions
+plush

-too plush
-bottoms out easily
-weight
-white lowers are hard to clean (discolors easily)
-no lockout

The U-Turn version of the Duke is ideal for recreational riding. More "tuned" for an all-mountain rider who doesn't mind the squish on climbing.

I raced it for Short Track and XC but dialed down to 80mm or lower. It handled well but at the cost of weight. The damping still leaves the fork feeling a little like a pogo stick...bottoming out easily. In turns, it tracks well enough but you'll need to run a wider tire in front to compensate for the poor tracking.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Axel Super & Comp
Rock Shox Duke XC Air, Judy XC, Indy C, Tora 318 Air
Marzocchi Bomber
Maverick
Fox
Jason Picos   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2003]
Strength:

visually stunning, super responsive, u-turn adjustment is sweet, open it up before you head downhill, point your front end where you want it to go and hold on

a little heavy, and if you are heavy-over 190lbs get the stiffer springs-I don't race so I am happy with it

This fork is awesome from what I started with. I have only been biking for about a year, so as a beginner this product definitely blows me away. The Judy made ridiculous noises and kept leaking. Being in Korea my shopping is limited due to shipping charges but this thing fits the bill

Similar Products Used: Judy XC-Yuck!!!
Jason   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2003]
Strength:

Looks sweeet on my hardrock comp. Performs very well. easy to adjust. Excellent tire clearance.

none so far.

Great fork for the money. I went down a flight of stairs with these very smooth. Perfect wieght spring for my wieght, 150lbs. Had no problems with it, and they easily out perfrom my Judy TT's. These forks are awesome, I highly recomend them if your looking for something that is durable, less expensive, and performs.

Similar Products Used: Judy TT
Michael   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2003]
Strength:

The name. Strong, adjustable rebound, u-turn,stiff with good tyre clearance.

White! A white fork!

A good value fork though we pay too much for good gear here in NZ. U Turn works well: even on the fly though I believe you should stop to adjust. I am basically a XC rider and it smooths out the ride very well. Use it where it is intended to be used and you will not regret the $$$.

Similar Products Used: Gamma EL, Manitou
cliff mcleroy   [Aug 23, 2003]
Strength:

ease of travel adjustment, rigidity, good out of the box setup

Damping a bit too weak, occassional squeaks/chirps

Fork worked well out of the box, U turn was handy to determine optimum fork length for handling. Slider bushings are tight (no play) yet have minimal stiction. I run the max rebound damping setting, will probably go with heavier oil at 1st service. Occassional squeak is annoying. Great fork for the money. Lets you know what travel works best for your frame before you blow big $ on a fancy fork.

Similar Products Used: girvin vector, flexstem, softride sus stem
Dave   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

Preload Adjusment, stiffness, travel, style

A bit heavy

Good cross country shock not recomended to use on freestyle. Good shock for the price u pay.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Marccozzi Rockshox
Keith Ramey   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

Better than the stock forks that came on my bike

Spring too soft for my fat butt. Also found no oil in forks when changing spring...

The Judy C that came with my bike was weak. I bought these in a hurry and didn't want to order and wait for them. Huge improvement over the Judy (of course). THen i read about them some more and bought the extra firm spring. WHile changing that found no oil in the forks. After fixing all that, I don't think I would trade these forks for anything. Like a new set of forks. Love them. Upgrade was well worth the money.

Similar Products Used: Stock crap
Andy   Weekend Warrior [Feb 08, 2003]
Strength:

Very smooth, look good, U-Turn works very well, large grippy adjuster(can even turn with Gloves on) and rebound damping works well.

Nothing other than the standard spring (Blue) is for riders that weigh up to 180 and i weigh a hefty 210, therefore a bit soft for me.
This is not a problem with the shox though, it is a problem with me and too many pies.

If u buy these get your LBS to change the spring for u (If you weigh under 150 or over 180) they may do it at no extra cost as they can re-sell the stock blue spring.
I didnt have this luxury as i was lead to believe that they were an air shock and the pre-load can be altered with a pump, this is not the case and i need to buy the black springs. Gutted!!

Similar Products Used: 99 Jett C, 02 Marzocchi MXC
Albert Osorio   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2004]
Strength:

Smooth, nice to be able to adjust. Does the job and doesn't get itself noticed. (so far) No strange unidentifiable noises as is case with some forks.

None yet. BUT! I am weary of ROCKSHOX holding up in the long haul. Have had bad experiences with two JUDYs.

Like the fork so far, but very upset with Rockshox quality in the past 3 years. I went through two Judy's in two seasons, and the second time cost me $. Switched to Manitou for two seasons with no Problems. I took the Manitou in for a check after one season and the mechanic said the oil level still looked OK and was amazed how fresh the oil still looked and smelled. ANYWAY, Let's hope I can get at least two seasons on this ROCKSHOX with blowing through the guts and landing on Metal to Metal!