RockShox Duke SL 2003 Front Shocks

Adj: Positive air pressure via Schrader Valve

DAMPING: PURE Delite
Adj: Rebound

Redbuck   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap and it worked OK for awhile.

Bushings wore out after 150 miles.

Not bad until it wore out after only 150 miles. Sent it back to RS through my LBS and still waiting for it after 4 weeks. Yes, I'm PO'd. This is not only a bad product (as far as durability) but even worse service! I'll be replacing it ASAP with a White Bros., which is on order. Anybody want to buy a nearly new rebuilt shock?

Similar Products Used: SID XC. Rode for 3 years without a problem.
Eric Parent   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2003]
Strength:

"Plushy" on compression and also on rebound.

Stiction on the first few rides.
Noisy squeak when I start during the first few minutes of riding.
Not much adjustment possible on the rebound knob... Only 90 degres but I wish I had more possibilities.

This fork seems a lot more tough than my previous Rock Shox which was a SID '01.
Less nervous than SID but much more adaptative to the trail.

I like it so far.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb '99, Rock Shox Judy SL '00.
Kyle Beaman   Weekend Warrior [Nov 30, 2003]
Strength:

108mm travel, Strength, great on the trails. I took it to colorado and it preformed flawlessley.

The U-Turn broke after about 2 months of riding on it. I would have it set to 108mm of travel and when i would go off a drop it would drop down, sometimes all the way to 80mm. Other than that though, no problems at all.

The Rock Shox Duke Sl is a great shox that has good strength and a good amount of travel for all-mountain riders. The only problem that I had was with the U-Turn and it was still very ridable.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Judy XC - Quality product
Rock Shox Judy SL
Ma ke   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 2003]
Strength:

Nice and soft, absorbs even the slightest bump.
Easy to change pressure.

doesn't bottom out, even when landing 4+ft jumps.

These forks definatly do what i ask them to, a big improvement over the bombers.
The dukes deliver wether you're jumping crevances, hitting rocks or street riding(Malaysia, many potholes.)

Similar Products Used: Bomber XRC Pro
Greg McKenna   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2003]
Strength:

Cost - cheap ! Good fork on a budget.
4" travel, Color - White matches my Tracer.
Reliable. Have had for 10 months, has about 800 trail miles on it. Had it checked out after muddy weekend in Durango and it had no problems. The shop put heavier oil in (7wt) - and I lowered the psi which seems to have improved performance.

Little flexy.
Buddies claim they can see fork deflection as I ride.
Rebound knob doesn't work after getting it serviced by local shop. Fair amount of feedback (aka: vibration)thru the headset, handlebars. Like I said, seems to run better with lower psi.

Good fork for intermediate rider on a mid size budget.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Judy SL 100, Cannondale Headshock (original), Specialized Future Shock (1990)
Justin Hartman   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2003]
Strength:

stiff, nice rebound un allround good fork

squeaks a lot during the begining of riding

Very good inexpensive fork. U want a fairly cheap xc fork this is the one u are looking for

Similar Products Used: judy xc
tristan   [Jun 06, 2005]
Strength:

plush, can adjust stifness with air which is good for my body size

paint chipped off.

The shock is good. but it has been stored out of the wether and about 10% of the paint has just chipped off. like what a shatty deal. talk about a crappy looking shock when the paint comes off

Christian Heath   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2004]
Strength:

Adjustments, Have never had to have the thing serviced,,,

The ugly lettering on the side!!!

I think people tend to love or hate, and then tend to over exagerate the obvious but I can honestly say I have never had a problem with this fork. I ride my bike aggressivly but never abuse, so maybe that is why i tend not to brake any parts, or bones! I would say for anyone looking for a fair value mid-range travel and priced fork this is for you. Anybody looking for an high impact fork this would not be a wise choice. I have never bottomed out the fork although I am about 145lbs. and I tend not to land hard, but I will do 5ft or so drops with it at times and like I say, not a problem. I do give it up to the folks at rock-shock for a smooth-buttery ride, I never spill my beer! ;o)

Similar Products Used: manatou, marzocchi, noleen
Ron   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2003]
Strength:

Solid performer, stiff and responsive. A solid value for the money, more rugged than a SID.

A little heavy but certainly not out of line considering its stiffness.

The 2003 Duke SL is a much better performer than the 2002 version, and outshines the 2003 Duke XC. Rock Shox has a value and performance winner in the 2003 Duke SL fork.