RockShox Boxxer Race 2003 Front Shocks

SPRING: Dual Coil

DAMPING: NEW! HC2
Adj: Rebound

ryan   Weekend Warrior [Apr 11, 2012]
Strength:

light for the size and does the work it needs to..works very good on drops with my dobermann pincher. Good dual crown fork for that price and if bought second hand its already worn in for you.

I used to use a single crown so makes my riding weirder at the front because of the weight difference. Like others said it could be better but good bang for your buck with this 200mm fork

Good bang for your buck but if you have lots of money i suggest going for a fox 40 or a fox single crown. if not this is the best fork for you.Get new stickers though make it nice and pretty...i have my 2003 boxxer rc with some 2009 stickers to make look fresh. Go dirt jumping with a dual crown its fun especially with this amazing fork

Similar Products Used: no dual crown...
502stingray   Downhiller [Feb 21, 2009]
Strength:

Its really light for its size, simple and durable, I have Code 5's up front and slammed on the breaks from a 10 foot drop, no problems at all. Im not worried about snapping in the least. Its strong, smooth, looks good and has a 20mm. Not sure what other are claiming with all their bad reviews, I ride that bike daily, no issues

I wish I had more travel, need a special IS mount for the brakes.

I like it, Im not sure what people bitc* about. Maybe they just suck at riding and landing properly, or expect the fork to compensate for bad riding skills. Its no Fox 40 or built 888 but its dam close to it. Its smooth, durable, and I took a 43 foot drop with it twice with NO problems, NO bottom out. I have a heavier spring since Im 190, but Ive never had a problem with it. Put 395 km of trailriding on it since January 09, with drops and jumps, and its still awesome. I just wish I had a bit more travel. Ok so you cant adjust your rebound, but get it setup right and you never have to adjust anything on it. Its just simple reliable engineering vs high tech stuff

Similar Products Used: 2001 Bomber
Sean   Downhiller [Jul 17, 2003]
Strength:

-very stiff lowers compared to a super T or shiver
-stiffness to weight is excellent
-32mm stanchions
-price

-Using different crowns instead of slightly longer stanchions is absolutely retarded.
-The drop crown design kills turning radius. The crown hits the frame not the bumpers on some frames (at all stem heights). On my Norco VPS it is so bad that i decided not to use the fork
-serious quality issues. Metal burrs galore inside. I dumped the oil (to change to 7") when the fork was BRAND NEW and it was full of metal shavings
-different colors in different areas of the stanchions, again on a NEW fork
-I also get the sqeek mentioned below

The fork has a lot of potential but due to some serious flaws, i have to use a different fork. I got an amazing deal on it at bikeroom so I am not too upset.

With a non stupid drop crown design, i would love to use this fork.

Similar Products Used: 2001 and 2002 Super T, shiver, psylo, Bomber MCR
Taylor   Downhiller [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

weight,stiffenss,20mm axel,plush,simple looking

It's more of an annoyance but every time you get on your bike after it's been sitting for awhile and you push down once or twice the fork makes a squeeky noise and then stops

A good move if you want a cheap,DH,FR worthy fork.I bought it over a Jr.T cause' of the tire clearence and also the boxxer has a normal 20mm axle,instead of that QR 20 crap.I've taken it to Downieville and some freeriding spots and it soaks up anything.It's the plushest fork around.When set up right.It's weight rules.I was riding a 2001 Strataos S-8 which weighed 10.5 pounds!This fork weighs 6.5!It dropped 4 pounds off my bike.So far the best fork i've ridden.I love the metal plates insteas of stickers.They don't peel off and get all messed up.If you want a nice freeride or DH race fork and don't want to shell out huge bucks,buy this fork.

Similar Products Used: 2001 shiver,2001 Stratos S-8,2001 boxxer,2003 Monster T2
Richard Chin   [Aug 24, 2003]
Strength:

the boxxer is very well enginered,there is more to it than meets the eye,it's a very stong and light wieght fork,takes away low resononse bumps from the handlebars,has adjustable travel never bottoms out after big hits,gives me full 7 inches of travel

What the hell's with having to buy crowns separately?
You have to take the fork completely apart with special tools to change travel.
The little rebound adjustment cap on the bottom, is just begging to jump out.
A world class fork that should come with cable hangers or guides of some sort.
I thought the seals were bomb proof after being re-engineered.
Nice cover up for those nasty steaks,Rock Shox explanation was oil impregnating the coating on the stanchions!
Whatever!
Oil cavitation when going fast thru rock gardens(loses dampening) and after som big hits.
Not as plush as a marzocchi!

The boxxer Race is a very well engineered fork for the price,it's lighter than the 03 marzocchi triple crowns and is more forgiving over the rough stuff and small frequency bumps,and IT NEVER BOTTOMS OUT AFTER BEING WELL SETUP,NOT LIKE "ALL" MARZOCCHIS!

Similar Products Used: I own a buttery smooth moster T,own a Noleen chubby DH(only 200 ever made,see it in action in the early crank videos)owned manitou xvert something or another,ripped on Shiver,Z1's,Jr t's,super T's.
Chris   Downhiller [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

Awesome fork, much better than the POS Manitou it replaced. Excellent stiffness, good damping once its setup properly. easy to work on with the removeable stantion legs.

Having to rebuild the fork to change the travel flat out sucks, and they ship it in 6" travel... Stupid. Rock Shox Oil sucks compared to the Golden Spectro I am running now.

This fork, out of the box, is just OK. But once you get everything fixed up (Change the travel, use some golden Spectro oil instead of that rock shox junk) this fork rips. It glues the tire to the terrain and never skips a beat. It should come with a top crown, but I wanted the extra tire clearance over a Marzocchi Jr. T so I bought the Boxxer. So far, no regrets!

For the money, I can't beat it, but it only gets 4 chilis for overall because its shipped in 6" travel with the Junk Rock Shox Oil.

Also!!! The Rock Shox tech manual has a part of the rebound damper in upside down in the picture, so if after you change the travel you notice you're getting lots of top-out spring rattle, you need to flip the little black plastic piece that rides on the damping cartridge. It came properly assembled in my fork, but the picture showed it upside down. When I put it together using the picture it made the rebound damping basically non existant and it topped out very hard, with lots of noise. Flipped it over, issue resolved.

Similar Products Used: Fork Replaced a 2002 Manitou Black Elite 100/120. DO NOT BUY THAT FORK! Also Demo'd Dorado, 2002 Boxxer, Monster T, and 2002 Super T.
dan parrett   Downhiller [Jun 22, 2003]
Strength:

strong, stiff, light

there is no real compression damping to speak of.

i have run this fork in the 6 and 7 inch mode on a hardtail for about 6 months and it did great. but the fork is so much better when you have a 7 inch travel frame! the fork also track wonderfully in fast rocky downhill and non of the other fork that i have ridden can say that!

Similar Products Used: psylo race(2001 and 2002) i broke the 2002 2 times and they then warrentied my the boxxer!

and a marz 2002 DJ1 (these fork suck so much. ie bad damping and the stantions start to saparate from the crown in like 2 weeks!!
Lucas   Downhiller [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

-rebound control
-weight is excellent
-32mm stanchions
- lightweigth

-rebound control
-weight is excellent
- lightweigth

perfect !

Similar Products Used: Shiver DC 2002, Jr T 2003, Boxxer 2001, Boxxer 2002, Z1, Psylo, Super T 2002
Cícero   Downhiller [Aug 30, 2003]

no one!!

its really good !!its not heavy and execelent for downhill !!execelent for the price!!

Similar Products Used: jr t. boxxer 2002 super t.
Gingus Campo   Downhiller [May 27, 2003]
Strength:

This fork is mega burly....and loves to go really fast. I took all my normal drops (the same drops that blew out my Marzocchi) and the fork LOVED it...I mean it really loved it. It is plush..yet stiff enough to take anything thrown at it. It loves to haul, and I noticed instantly that my speed and confidence with this fork increased. I would recommend this fork to anyone who doesnt want to spend the ducats for high end forks that don't put out what you pay for. This fork is high quality @ a low price!!!!

Yes the stickers aren't on there great....but for me (a downhiller) I don't want my bike looking like a cadillac. Asides from that...there arent many weaknesses at all. The crown is a bit high (depending on the one you get) but you can get the shorter one and use spacers.

If you have 1000, get a better fork (the team and race are sweet, so I hear). I you have been saving for a while for a fork...and are sick of saving, get this fork. It is high quality and can take ANYTHING thrown at it. A better fork for downhill racing, rather than dropping or freeriding. A downhiller looking to go really fast will LOVE this fork. The decals aren't on there great, but this doesn't effect performance, and all you peeps who love your bikes to look ultra clean out there shouldn't care as much about it. This is a GREAT fork at a GREAT value!