Marzocchi Z1 FR 2003 Front Shocks

- External Preload & Rebound Control
- 32mm Aluminum Stanchions
- Integrated Fender [option]

haha326   Downhiller [Jul 30, 2008]
Strength:

Everything. Plush, feels like endless travel, ETA is superb for uphills or flat out sprinting.

It doesn't do my laundry for me. Aside from that nothing.

Wow. If it's heavy, I can't tell because the ETA works so well for climbing. If the travel isn't long enough, I wouldn't know, because I've been getting 4+ ft of air on trails and haven't bottomed yet. I'm hitting things now that I would have gladly crashed to miss before. It's so smooth feeling. I was considering going for something with more travel (140-150) but I'm glad I didn't because apparently 130 handles everything I throw at it, and probably more. This fork transformed my riding. If you can find one, get it!

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi EXR Comp (yuck)
Flacowboy   Racer [Aug 17, 2003]
Strength:

This fork is awesome!! It looks great .. color is very intimidating to competition. 32mm stantions.. no flex whatsoever! IS brake mounts and don't have to cover the worthless posts (because they are non-exisitant) Price is great too!! Can't touch a Fox for this kind of money WOULDN'T WANT TO!!

Some might say weight... not this racer/XC rider!! If you think it's too heavy.....GET MORE MUSCLE BUILT AND STOP DRINKING ALL THAT BEER!!

I've tried a bunch of forks and many platforms.. all types of trails and road too.. THIS FORK RULES!! I can't even begin to describe the control you feel when you are descending down some of the most technical down hill stuff (on an XC platform)..... Wow uphill ability with the ETA!! 30mm of free travel.. nice and stiff too.. feels like the F80X's travel...I get alot of laughs from racers when they see an XC setup with a Freeride fork.. Not when they are looking at me up on the podium... from the crowd. I highly recommend this fork to even the lightest rider... It's grrrrrrreattttt!

Similar Products Used: Fox vanilla RLC, Fox F80X air, Rockshox SID, Rockshox Psylo U-Turn (Crapola),Manitou Black Elite,Manitou Six & Six sport 03's --(STAY AWAY FROM THESE!!THEY BRAKE)
D. McNeill   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, beefy, plush and looks pretty serious too. ETA makes riding to the top of your favourite trail slighty more bearable.

It might be a little on the heavy side but it more than makes up for it.

After a few months of trail riding, dirt jumps and a bit of urban this fork hasn't complained once. It soaks up almost everything on the trail and when you push it past it's limits it bottoms out smoothly. As far as 5" single crown forks go, I couldn't really ask for much more.

The ETA system does what it's supposed to but while riding uphill the fork makes a noticeable top out noise everytime the wheel bounces off a rock or root. It's no big deal though.... I didn't buy this fork to ride up hills.

The only thing I'm worried about is the plastic ETA lever on top of the fork. It looks vulnerable to crash damage.
Apart from this it's a great fork.

Similar Products Used: '98 Z1's
GEBE   Weekend Warrior [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

Great Shock, rolls over anything, feels good, looks good.

A little on the heavy side. Customer support has been non-existent.

Great shock, little heavy. The ETA lever fell off during the first ride. Three months of emailing Marzocci and asking to purchase another has resulted in zippity doo dah from them. There are other great shocks. Think about customer support when buying. These guys don't care.

Similar Products Used: Manitou sherman
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Jun 22, 2003]
Strength:

Bombproof, smooth, looks and just very plush!!!

None that I can find so far.

These forks are awesome man, I've been riding them for about three weeks now and they have done quite a few miles. They took a little time to bed in but now are the smoothest, plushest fork I have ridden, I have ridden Vanillas, Floats etc but these forks are the best by far. They eat everything from stutter bumps to big hits and are so smooth on drops and jumps, I have used the full travel once but can't say that I felt them bottom, they are buttery smooth and are the best fork that you can get for the money, Vanillas come no where near, they are well stiff and track perfectly. Sure they are not the lightest fork out there but who cares about weight anyway!! Bottom line, perfect fork for the money nothing comes close really, 130mm SC oh yeah VERY SMOOTH!!!!

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla and Float, Pace RC36, Marathons.
Deke   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2003]
Strength:

It's a Zoke. It's plush.

Uses all the travel.......but not harshly.

I won't say this is the best fork ever, but for a MB SC fork the action is SSSSWWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!. Uphill it's a little squirrely when ETA'D, downhill it'll soak up the chop just like you want. It's the fork if you wanna go fast down the choppy stuff and do some drops less than 5 ft. along the way. If you climb to bomb, the Z1 is tops on my list.

Similar Products Used: Judy, Lefty, Black, Psylo, and most MX forks.
chris   Weekend Warrior [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

stiff
smoooth
confidence inspiring

heavy?

This is the most fun you can have on a mountain bike and still climb reasonable well. The travel feels bottomless and for me never quite seems to bottom out. The new and improved ETA feature allows you to lower the front end by 1 1/4 inches and still have enough travel to work with. Several time I've forgotten to release the ETA lever at the top of a climb. It's possible to release the ETA on the fly. The Z-1 is an order of magnitude stiffer than the Pyslo, and is as smooth as the Black without the annoying tendency to harshly run out of travel. This fork gave me the confidence to tackle some stuff I've pass on in the past. For those that are obsessed with weight, unless your a racer, forget about it and enjoy the solid feel of what that extra pound buys you. If you are a racer, what are you doing here?

Similar Products Used: Pyslo SL
Black Elete
FoolCyclist   [Jun 15, 2003]
Strength:

stiff, tracks excellent, super plush, smooth, sensitive, ETA rocks, looks killer, easily tuned and adjusted

tire clearence with Nokians

This is the best 5" fork you can buy.

I was extremely happy with my 02 Z1 FR, but the 03 blows it out of the water. The new Z1 is better in every aspect, other than weight. But once you get rolling you wont even notice the weight of the fork. You always here people saying that the mark of a great component is that you never have to think about it. That is exactly what you get with the Z1. It can take anything I can throw at it and just keeps on working flawlessly. The ETA is so nice. Just flip the switch and push the front down and tough climbs and uphill switchbacks are made easy. I know that Fox owners like to tell me you can do the same with the TALAS, which is kinda true, but the Z1 blows the Fox away when it comes to ride quality. I honestly believe that the Z1 tracks better, is more sensitive, rides smoother, and is better valved than a Vanilla. I havent ridden the TALAS, but I imagine its the same story. When it comes to plushness, you can set up a Vanilla to be as plush, but you lose the big hit capability. With HSCV you get the best of both worlds.

If you are looking for an aggro trail riding, light freeride, jumping fork all rolled into one you should go with the Z1 FR.

Similar Products Used: most of the 5" single crowns
Flash Mofo   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

climbs much better than expected, very stiff, ETA is great, reliable long travel

weight (who cares, I'm over it already)

Only 5 rides on it so far but I'm very happy! I'm more of an Epic XC rider with occasional light free-ride-3'+ drops, smaller gap jumps and stunts, but nothing too crazy yet. I needed a fork for my switch that could do 3k' climbs but offer 5"+ travel for faster&more technical descending. I considered the FR-SL but shyed away as I knew the ETA works better than the ECC, plus I figured the extra travel would be a waste if it was less plush/reliable due to the air spring. Previously I rode my MX-pro ETA, which I loved. ETA makes any fork a great XC fork, thats why I bought another marzocchi.

No regrets! I'm shocked at how well it climbs. ETA is so much better than lock out, I use it quite often. Mine seems to lock down to about 2.5" travel with the ETA on- perfect for singletrack climbs. Of course it's very "plush" downhill but I expected that, thats why I chose it over lighter forks.
If you are an XC rider who wants the travel for technical and descents but are wary of the weight, don't be shy, go for it. It won't slow you down, an extra pound, thats like an extra water bottle. small price to pay for so much more speed on technical descents.
I weigh 175 and am running no pre-load. The fork feels great. I think an oil change might get me another 1/4" or more- this seems typical for marzocchis, maybe too much oil and too light visc. That was the case on my MX pro as well. Also Marzocchis really do take 6-10 rides to break in, you will know when it happens.
What can I say? I'm a marzocchi fan for life. Fox makes nice forks but nobody can touch marzocchi IMHO.