Marzocchi MX Comp 2003 Front Shocks

- 105mm travel [upgrade option]
- 30mm Aluminum Stanchions

[Mar 11, 2013]
Maxbuwaya

Strength:

Strong light affordable. ( yup it's true!)

Decal availability I guess. Can't find any v brake tab. I've been hunting for it for 9 years!!! Here in the Philippines

9 years have pass and never had any problems. Until now that I realize it almost run out of suspension oil. Decided to rebuild the fork. Repainted the fork to match its new Surly troll frame. Refill it with oil. Just the standard 15w-10 motor oil. Tried DOT 5 but seems the viscosity is too thin. Not to mention it melts the newly applied paint. :) Also bought an O ring at a local hardware chain store. Total cost of Fork Rebuild $11usd pretty cheap! Highest drop I did was 5 feet. The usual Xc trail hop and jump and a ton of air time on speed bump on the streets. Hoping this fork will last another 9 years. :)

Rockshox Judy RST Gila A bunch of suntours

[Aug 24, 2009]
petebarchetta

Strength:

bomb-proof!! puts up with my 13.5 stone frame :) survives jumps and drops, a vast improvement from budget shocks. outstanding adjustability (cant stop tweaking it, in a good way)

none so far,

cant reccommend this product enough, for alround use its outstanding, not really designed for the huge stuff, but if your into that get a bigger fork :)

chilli works 550 (a heap of .....) blew the seals :(

[Jul 15, 2003]
EMRE

Strength:

I have the air version. Great value for the price and great stiffnes. Very very well built and seems to last very long.

Very difficult to adjust rebound.
Another small problem is that the fork loses 1-2 psi air pressure after each use. Not a big deal though.

I wanted something that is better than the average but not much more expensive. This fork is cheaper but much better than the average. At the moment I would buy this fork again if I had to...

Recommended positive air pressure numbers seem to be too stiff for my taste. I use them about 5-10 psi lower.

[Aug 23, 2003]
Thomas Ali

Strength:

Coils - no messing about with air pressure, iron big and small bumps, electric blue, plush out of the box.

none so far

MX Comp coils arent sold on any websites in the UK apart from chainreactioncycles.co.uk.
I bought these forks as i didnt want to be messing about with air pressures. They are smooth operators out of the box and theyve impressed me on my local trails, where they have turned vicious hoof damaged hills into mildly bumpy easily rideable hills. Ive set them up for my weight (8st) and they actually work unlike my suntours which would only do any work if i had a fully loaded pack on my back! Overall im very impressed, I will post a follow up in a few weeks.

SR Suntour XCR 75mm

[Aug 21, 2003]
jamie dunn
Downhiller

Strength:

never bottoms out

no sag. not responsive to small bumps unless run @ ultra low pressure

pretty good for general freeride lite and riding street and the scottish shore

jetts (crap)

[Aug 28, 2003]
Jake L

Strength:

Eats most of the bumps, stiff, black

Rebound adjustment is made pretty hard, you have to carry a pump with you if you need to adjust stiffness of the fork..

Good fork considering the price. If you have a budget and need good xc fork, take this. There's no better.

Tried manitou axel, marzocchi exr, some rst crap..

[Jun 10, 2003]
Chris Lawrence

Strength:

Have the exteded 105mm travel....this shock is simply awesome...very plush on heavy hits and smooth rebound

None yet....

This is a great X-Country fork...especially with the 105mm travel....very smooth and very sweet....fits right in with my SUGAR!

Marzocchi Bomber Z1 2001 - Bike shop messed up a disc break install and replaced this fork with the MX COMP - No charge!

[Jun 09, 2003]
Dennis Romano

Strength:

This model comes in two designs. I have the air with 105 mm of travel. First off, this shock is very easy to setup. Run the air pressure slightly lower than the manual until it breaks in. My shock broke in rather quickly. It is very plush and takes the bigger hits with no flex. I weigh 225 pounds.

Internal rebound.

Once again I am impressed with this shock. It tracks well at high speed and is very agile at low speeds. Setup is easy. It is plush throughout its travel. I have bottomed it out but it did not feel harsh. Smooth rebound as well. This is a great long travel air XC shock.

Freeride SL

[Aug 29, 2003]
thebronze

Strength:

Plush, springy, stiff, faster and more stable at speed, good looks

hmmm rebound is where?
manual is misleading
heavy

Someone please tell me
HOW DO YOU ADJUST THE REBOUND?
I have the coil version and the manual is cr@p.
I have a small pinging knocking noise and the book says to decrease the rebound but doesnt show how. My guess is you use the copper rod that came with it but how and where. Is it in both legs? Other than this adjustability complaint, the fork is great, real plush, real springy, so much better than anything made my answer/manitou. I'm gonna upgrade to heavier springs also to see if that helps.

Answer SXR
Answer SX

[Sep 01, 2003]
Walter

Strength:

cheap, stiff, plush

weight

Great value for money.
Feels like the Fox, costs much less, weighs "much" more, no lock out, can't have it all.
The rebound adjustment is internal, from my manual:
5.5 Internally adjustable forks
with SSV rebound adjustment
You will find some damping rods where the
rebound adjustment is located inside the
stanchion tube.
To adjust these forks, you will need to:
• remove the dust cap located on the top of
the fork’s leg.
• insert the supplied hexagon rod into the
stanchion tube, making sure to center the
adjustment seat.
• When turning the adjuster clockwise, you will
increase the rebound hydraulic damping,
making the fork slower during the rebound
phase.
• When turning the adjuster counterclockwise,
you will decrease the rebound hydraulic
damping, making the fork more responsive
during the rebound phase.
Do not force the adjuster screw past its
limits.

It's a little work, but need to do it only once.
I use max damping, maybe some thicker oil would be better, but as the summer is over, let's wait end see. The oil gets a little thicker as the temp drops.

RS .., Fox tallas, Rond O24U Manitou Skareb (Skarry, Skacrap)