Marzocchi MX Comp ETA 2003 Front Shocks

- 105mm Travel (reduceable to 85mm)
- NEW Open Bath SSV Valving
- 1-side Air & 1-side Coil Spring
- NEW! Cryofit Boltless Crown
- NEW! 1-Piece Mg MonoLite Sliders
- NEW! [ETA] External Travel Adjuster
- External Preload & Internal Rebound Control
- 30mm Aluminum Stanchions

Wild Bill   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2008]
Strength:

Hey, this fork is awesome,at 4.3 ILb it works on verything, I jumped off of, and the ETA works great, for riding up hills, when you have to lean over the handle bars'

Have'nt found one yet,but a little sag

If you can find one of these forks, buy it,I was lucky, Mine is brand new, after 5 years, jest sitting in a bike shop, still in the box, and never used, or cut. I'll buy more from Marzocch, as soon as wear these out,

Similar Products Used: Roxshox Dart 1
Paul Burbidge   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, smooth, cheap, ETA

Great fork at any price, my fork seems to lock down in two spots at 75 and 30mm. Don't listen to people who say it has travel at 30mm. Of coarse it will move but the spring rate doesn't adjust (or there would be nasty bottoming), if you hit something hard enough to move the fork in 30mm mode you'll get a nasty top out for your trouble. This isn't bad because you shouldn't be whacking thigs too hard with it locked down. Anyway, the fork's awesone, buy one if you can.

Similar Products Used: 5" Z5, 2.5" Z5, Rock Shox
Wayne   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2003]
Strength:

Value, smooth as buttaa, tracking and stiffness, Marzocchi quality and durability.

None !

This fork has made me a Marzocchi rider for life. I did not know what a good fork was until ridding this. The bike steers like it is on rails and has almost zero flex and I am a bigger rider. Smooth with none of the noises and flexing I have always had with every RS ridden or owned.There are lots of other forks that cost much more but why. The ETA is awesome for the steep climbs but still has 30mm of give unlike many others that simply lock out all togther. You cannot go wrong for trail type riding or XC unless you are a weight winney in which case a noodley SID XC is your favorite. Buy it

Similar Products Used: Rock Something, Manitou
Dylan   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

My Goodness! I had a Manitou Black on my Gary Fisher and thought it was a decent fork. Didn't have anything really to compare it to. I put this fork on and have taken it for a few rides. I love it. What I noticed right away was the way the bike handles. It corners quickly and has a solid feel to it. The ETA option is cool. Climbing is much more efficient. Every ounce of pedal torque now translates to distance.

The decals and graphics look a little dorky but hey...

spend all the $$ you want but not before going to your local bike shop to see the fork. The guys at Speedgoat say that the 03 model is just about sold out. This chili is hot.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Black Elite
Maz   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, very plush, great tracking, strong, plenty of travel, confidence inspiring and cheap.

Slightly heavy but it doesn't ride heavy.

I don't skimp on bike gear......if I want it and it costs I get it.
I've got a cheap pair of Forks on a bike where my cranks cost twice the price of my Forks.
Why do I ride the MX Comp ETA's..........
They're simply SUPERB! They do what they're supposed to. Believe the reviews!
To pay more and buy a different pair of Forks is stupidity.

Similar Products Used: You name it!
Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

Very stiff, easy to engage eta., plush.

Cannot engage eta with broken lever. Decals peel off. Manual is trash. Customer support is non-existant.

ETA lever broke off the third time that I tried to engage it and the decals peeled off after 2 weeks. The manual is a freaking joke - I have never seen anything so useless. I also developed an oil leak after 1 month of riding. Customer support is terrible. I don't think that anyone actually works in that dept. On the plus side, Marz. forks are always stiff and plush and the price can't be beat. But this doesn't make up for the other problems and the lack of support for their product. I would recommend the Manitou Black Comp which I have been riding now for 1 month.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Black Comp(very nice), Marz Z4
Rasmus   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2003]
Strength:

for 165 notes (sterling that is) it can't be beat, plush, loads of travel and tons of adjustability

eta lever looks cheap, crap handbook (which literally tells you nothing, must have lost something in translation) and the decal is pretty poor compared to the rest of the range..

the forks are super lush out of the box, easy to install if you posess half a brain (although the handbook is completly useless, put it on top of the toilet and use it as toilet paper, probably the only usefull thing it's good for). little brake flutter and has ability to take some of the harder knocks, but it's worth remembering it's not jumping/street fork.
not sure if im getting full travel out of mine (about 95 mm) but this is to do with the oil level (which again the handbook gives crap all info about... it would be nice to know oil levels/wt)
buy them... they're cheap!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: rox shox, rst and other Marzocchi's (EXC - MX COMP)
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2003]
Strength:

ETA, 105mm of Marzocchi. Noir's nice color.
coil (and air). coil's good. a pair's even better.

no Weaknesses. something to keep in mind: weight 4.3# (i don't feel the weight, but then I weigh 15 "stones"). one of them tubes got an air shock (and coil in the other): why bother with (half) air?
lame stickers.

Faster on the way down...way! Can reduce front bobbing and wheel wandering by reducing the travel with the ETA gizmo, reduces my handlebar height by 1.5 inches, enough to make some difference. 105 mm travel seems so much more than 70mm travel of my older fork such that I'm not even curious about feel of the 2004's 120mm travel (really, i'm not, really...)

sometimes, on a looooong climb, i wonder why i didn't buy the the svelt RS Sid fork...then when the fast "rocks and rolls" happen I relish I didn't get a silly air fork... now i feel the need for hydro disk brakes to slow down. Besides, who likes doing maintenance.

Outstanding performance, good value. (but rememeber, the 2004 model has 120mm, if .6" makes a difference to you.)

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi 1998 atom bomb 70mm, was good - in 1998. RS Indy S (now on my wife's bike)
Ralphie Wiggums   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

Outperforms every fork that I've ever ridden by a huge margin. The ETA feature makes a significant difference in climbing.

None whatsoever. I wish the manual contained more details, but that has nothing to do with the fork.

Is it possible to assign ten chilis to a product? After reading the glowing reviews I bought this fork and have been completely impressed with it. The level of performance such as bump absorption, steering precision, etc. greatly exceeds any other product out there regardless of price. The ETA is an incredibly useful function that needs to be experienced. The ETA technology really translates into excellent trail performance. The reviews are all true, this is the best X-C fork that you can buy for any price. It just happens to cost less than many other forks that could never even come close in performance. To buy anything else would be a complete waste of money.