Manitou Skareb Super 2003 Front Shocks

Skareb Super

Features:
80mm travel Air/Coil, TPC damping, adjustable air & rebound, Lockout, Semi-bath with Evil Genius Seals, Magnesium RA (Reverse Arch) casting, Alloy steerer tube

David   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

3lbs, worked great right out of the box, smooth, great rebound dampening, very stiff, great looks, great deal on ebay!

Lock-out knob is plastic, paint is chipping easily, idiot-proof wheel retention nubs are a pain in the butt!

Got a great deal on a new Skareb Super on ebay. I'm very happy with the performance of this shock as I'm getting all 80mm of travel (my Marzocchi was only getting 50mm if I was lucky, it's sucking up the bumps sweetly and smoothly, has saved my butt on several occasions by taking some huge hits like a champ, and does all this with minimal fuss and at an honest 3lbs. Plus it looks great and steers straight and true. Now, if you weigh a million pounds and/or ride downhill/freeride style and throw yourself off of 20' cliffs for fun, then don't buy this fork. If you do and it fails, it's your own stupid fault. If, however, you're an aggressive trail/XC rider, then this is a great shock and it should serve your needs well. I'll check back in after 6 months of riding, but for now I'm very pleased.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z2 X-fly, Judy, etc..
Jon Romanov   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2003]
Strength:

Super light and love all the flexability of having air adjustability,lockout and not to mention, it looks awsome

I have only found one, the knobs are plastic, what were they thinking?

So far no problems, The shox is performing well

Similar Products Used: Rockshox duke xc
250Fe   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2003]
Strength:

weight, may be price

I broke the arch just after the first ride

What can I say about broken fork? 450$ for 50 km. I hope "Answer" will make stronger forks next year.

Similar Products Used: mars 01, judy c, rst
Bela   Racer [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Very good damping, the lock out is cool, weight is little bit above the specification (1442g 182mm cut tube), stiff.

Plastic lock out knob.

I heard a lot of bad news about broken forks at the arch. I hope my one will be ok.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Mars
C. Euston   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, reliable, lock-out, etc.

Only - plastic caps.

Great fork.
I did too much research this time. I am strict XC and wanted light weight, lock-out, and a couple of other goodies. When it came down to the wire, the Skareb beat out the Sids and the Marathon - in price, stiffness, and reliability. Fox, except for price, is another choice.

Next year, they could add a remote lock-out but, really, if you can't take the 0.7 of a second to tune it, you don't need it.

I am pleased with the reviews here, no mis-users writing-in complaining that the fork crumbles under heavy/ freeride/ downhill abuse. Let's remeber that this is a 3lb. fork, when used for XC or related it is one of the best. It is not meant for 6' drops.

No regrets here.

Similar Products Used: Too many to remember.
Logan Felder   Racer [May 20, 2003]
Strength:

Really stiff, TPC damping, air compression, 3 inches of travel, 3lbs.

plastic lockout, needs remote lockout

This fork is the best cross country racing fork currently available to public. The RockShox Sid World cup is light, but lacks a smooth ride and is not very sturdy looking.

Similar Products Used: rock shox and marzocchi
Dave Conway   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2003]
Strength:

An awesome shock that straightens the curves and flattens the hills. Eats up roots and and studder bumbs like mamma's corn bread and butter beans. When it WORKS!

The second day I rode it, in a race, just before the most treterous part of the course, the cheap plastic lock out mechanism broke and I have had a $400.00 shock that doesn't work for the last month. As you may know, Manitou lost all common sense when they decided to put plastic in a front shock and thought it would actually work. Duh Huh! The bike shop has been waiting on the aluminum replacement part for almost a month now that has been on back order because of all the unsuspecting MTBERS that have to have that stupid plastic piece replaced. Yeah Manitou I bet you think you're pretty damn smart now having to send all those extra aluminum parts to make up for all those frickin plastic parts you thought would save you so much money. CHEAP BAS@#$S!!

Like I said, it's actually a great fork but I warn you to ask your retailer if they will replace the damn plastic piece with alimunum and save yourself the frustration. I will give this shock a good rating because it was a wonderful shock the first day I rode on it and it will be a great shock when the damn thing gets fixed.

Similar Products Used: Nothing. I rode a rigid frame Trek 930 for the last 12 years. Rember those things?
Kat   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2006]
Strength:

Plush feel on smooth, run outs.

Way too much flex. I wiegh 105 and when I let loose downhill the whole front end wobbles. Switchbacks it flexes so much they are hard to make.

This was my first 80mm shock and I thought it was alright at first...then after some time on the bike and going faster ...I actually stopped to check to see if my front wheel was going to come off. High speed, technical single track is not good for this shock. On real tight switchbacks it has so much play that they are downright impossible. I was better on my old Mag 21's. If your an agressive downhill rider this is not the shock for you. If your riding smooth stuff at slow speeds it will work.

LANCE STEPHENSON   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2003]
Strength:

STIFFNESS, PLUSHNESS, SEALS, DAMPING ACTION, REBOUND DAMPING, RELIABILITY, SERVICABILITY, SIMPLICITY, LOW MAINTENANCE, TUNABILITY, DROOLING FRIENDS FACTOR AND RIDE QUALITY

TO SET THE FORK UP TAKES A WHILE ON THE COMPRESSION DAMPING BECAUSE THE LOCKOUT IS ON TOP, WHICH REQUIRES YOU TO TAKE THE COMPRESSION ASSEMBLY OUT OF THE FORK TO TUNE IT, IT TAKES YOU ABOUT 4 ATTEMPTS TO GET YOUR TUNING RIGHT

BEING INTO OUR RACING SCENE DOWN HERE, WE NEED SUPER PERFORMANCE BUT RELIABILTY. THIS FORK HAS THE PERFORMANCE YOU PAY FOR, NO OTHER FORK COULD POSSIBLY WORK AS WELL AS THIS ONE. IT HAS THE ABILTY TO SAVE YOU WHEN YOUR TIRED AND MAKING A MISTAKE AND LANDING ON THE FRONT WHEEL, IT KEEPS YOU BEHIND THE BARS AND OFF THE TURF. CORNERING IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER FORK ON THE MARKET, STEERING IS LIKE LASER PRECISE AND CONFIDENT. THIS FORK ABSORBS SMALL, MEDIUM AND LARGE BUMPS. THE FORK FEELS TO SOFT WHEN STATIONARY BECAUSE ITS SO PLUSH, THE PROGRESSIVE NATURE OF THIS FORK IS SOOOOO GOOD. I LOVE IT, I LEFT MY GIRLFRIEND FOR THIS FORK, I DON'T MISS HER.