Manitou Skareb Comp 2003 Front Shocks

Manitou Skareb Comp 2003 Front Shocks

Features:
80mm travel Coil, TPC damping, adjustable preload & rebound & compression, Semi-bath with Evil Genius Seals, Magnesium RA (Reverse Arch) casting, Alloy steerer tube

[Dec 30, 2011]
caid
Downhiller

Strength:

plushness!

so flexy that when you really stick a corner or a berm, the fork literally compresses about 2 mm more on one side, which demonstrates killer plushness at the same time. Lockout is busted. You go ahead, grab a handful of brake. That thing moves like 3 inches back!!

it's seasonal, it would probably be good to ditch it after a season for the next model, if you don't snap it in half before then. I didn't crack the arch, but I'm a measly 160 lbs and 6' tall. At least I scored it!!! I dint remember how much was paid but it was less than 150 us dollars.

On the other hand, it's plush!!! It moves if you hit a sidewalk crack, not much butnit does. It might be the flex though. Ya never know. It really does soak up bumps nice though. And it's light. For a fork from 03, I must say that it performs well for it's price and weight. Minus the sheer amount of flex!!! I don't see the one sided brakerub on cornering only because my brakes are set awkwardly. It twists too. If you have your bike standing still going for a curb hop and you turn the bars to keep your balance, the fork moves more than your wheel. So rigidity, sucks. Actual travel on the other hand, rocks. I wouldn't buy this fork and use it for more than a season before replacing it with something stiffer/better in general. I'm on a specialized hr comp it has full slx, a head, answer and such, with a marz 4x fork. When I get off of the salsa, it feels like I have weights hanging from the front of my bike, and the travel isn't near as plush, but good lord... It's noticeably stiffer and so much so, that I'd rather deal with the weight than the flex.

black spaghetti, toothpick, beanbag chair, rs sid.

Actual alloy forks, marzocchi z2 superfly, marzocchi z3 qr20, manitou splice comp 130, rs boxxer (friends), marzocchi 4x, rs Judy (snapped that).

[Apr 15, 2011]
lester

Strength:

NONE

NO LOCKING, NO COMPRESSION, TO MUCH FLEX

DONT BUY THIS JUNK

ROCK SHOX MUCH BETTER

[Feb 10, 2011]
flipsidem

Strength:

Light weight, simple, inexpensive.

Limited adjustability, flex.

I haven't had any problems with this fork. I race XC at Winter Park and it hasn't let me down on the rougher sections that I have encountered. When I first started racing XC I had a really heavy bike. My focus when building the bike that this fork is on was keeping it light. By the way, I didn't pay $350 for the fork, I bought the frame and fork together for ~$350 off eBay. $350 would be way too much for this fork. I am not a guy who spends a lot of time analyzing how my suspension is performing, so I honestly didn't notice that the brake rubbed from fork flex until I came here and read a bunch of negative reviews and actually looked for it. The type of riding and racing that I do is more about how fit you are than how good your bike is, but most of the other racers ride really nice/expensive stuff. This fork has worked well for me. I am happy that it hasn't snapped on me. I am ~185lbs, but I ride pretty conservatively. All of the negative reviews have me pretty worried about getting messed up as a result of this thing breaking. I am probably going to switch up bikes altogether because of this fear.

Rock Shox Dart, Maverick SC 32

[Dec 24, 2010]
Muzz

Strength:

Allowed the wheel to go around. Reasonably compliant for an averagely priced fork

Flexy. Broke

When I got the Giant back in 2003 reports were already beginning to surface about this fork breaking. I expressed my concernes to the firm I purchased the bike from and agreed to keep an eye on it. I regularly check it, but for some time I have been sick of its only average performance. I recently did a 70km+ event, and thought that I must have been bonked to the max as I kept going off line on the single track and all over the place on the fast downhill gravel sections. Was doing the service on the bike and sure enough, there was the dreaded break on the right hand side. Went to the bike shop who sent the fork to the Manitou suppliers who said it was too old and sent it back, even when it went to them with the reports from MTB Review users.

How I didn't kill myself I don't know. This fork is a pile of excrement, Manitou sucks and I will never put anything from Manitou Answer on my bike again. Stay away from this product. its lethal.

Mag 21

[Nov 06, 2008]
mtnrun

Strength:

I havent observed any.

I just bought a Marin Eldridge HT with this fork on it. I haven't even ridden it on the trails yet and the fork already scares me. My observations from riding to work on roads and paved bike trails: 1) I can see one side compress before the other 2) my brakes rub during turns, even very slight ones 3)when standing and riding in a straight line, while shifting the bike from side to side the tire is rubbing quite a bit.
I weigh 190 lbs and am 6'3" but this fork seems really dangerous to me.

Its not worth a dollar. I wont ride it on the trails after having these problems and then reading the reviews on here. It seems like only a matter of time before it breaks

[Jul 06, 2008]
nealfix

To much flex. The tire rubs on the brake pads under light load and on the fork itself under heavy loads.

I am looking for a different XC fork.

[Jun 20, 2008]
rinmeister

Arch broke

I read all the comments and bargained with the seller. Got the bike for a fair price, seller insisted that the fork was fine though, he just had it serviced.... Cycled on it first time and noticed that the front wheel was not aligned straight. When I hit bumps it would scrape against the fork. I inspected the arch and then I saw the crack on the right side of the arch! I took it off, it was really flex, and then it broke off in my hands. Needless to say I bought a new fork. What a piece of crap!

Rockshox Judy

[Jul 13, 2003]
zach

Strength:

it's light

i cracked the arch on the right side where it connects to the lowers and my dad did the exact same thing to

it was a good fork untill i cracked the arch on the right side

manitou magnum

[Jul 05, 2003]
Evan Mackenzie

Strength:

uses all ov available travel

forx flare under any weight, bad flex, reverse arch is weak, creeks in headset

these forxs are the worst product from manitou ever, if i was an executive from answer id quit....the forx flex, and flare out, "i thought the whole idea of reverse arch was to stop that..." these forks are poor.

the rear arch on my skarebs just snapped and after only six months of relative light riding for me. I thought the noise i was hearing was from the hub, but my luck it was the arch and it had snapped clean through. i hope they have good service and i get it under waranty, coz if not im never trying their shody products again.

breakouts
mars super air
blacker super air

[Aug 20, 2003]
Jeramie Prine

Strength:

ummmmmm...Answer is good at sending a new product to replace broken fork.

The fork broke at the arch...thank Jah...not while riding. How does a friggin' fork break at the arch? I would think that Answer is concerned with a lawsuit when someone gets badly hurt because of this product.

Do NOT purchase this fork. It sucks. When I first saw it I thought something smelled funny, and then when it broke I knew it was crap.

Answer is sending me a new lower, but I will replace this fork with a Marzocchi next season, or until it breaks again.