Manitou Six 2003 Front Shocks

Six

Features:
Internally convertible travel from 80mm to 100mm Coil/MCU, adjustable preload, Microlube grease ports, Aluminum RA (Reverse Arch) casting, Steel steerer tube

59ksmall   Weekend Warrior [Apr 12, 2010]
Strength:

Can't say it was cheap cause it came with the bike. But thats about it.

First off I weigh 135lb. and the fork is way too soft. Second I hit a two foot jump 2 hours ago, landed blew out the plastic adjuster knob which stripped all of the threads and sent me sliding head first into a very large Pine tree.

Good for on road use and bike path trails only. Please do not take any jumps on this fork.

Similar Products Used: Old RoxShox Judy
Mikeerac   Cross Country Rider [Sep 29, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, plain, simple, uncomplicated. Easy to set up, post mount for disk brake.

It's a budget fork, heavy, flex.

I can't see what the complaints are about, put a zip tie round one stanction, push it down to meet the fork leg, sit on the bike and wind the adjuster (+ or -) until you get about 1.5-2cm movement with the zip tie. I weigh 200lbs and there is no way this fork will bottom out just by sitting on the bike, no fork will do that unless it's broken. It's a simple honest fork and all the better for it, i had a Dart2 on here before, the lock out didn't work and i was always wiping oil from the nut at the bottom of the forks. These just do the job, treat them like a budget fork and they will get the job done. Mine are silver Manitou Six Comp and don't seem to feature here so may be a uk spec. I have fitted Hayes HFX hydraulics without the need for any adapters so i don't know why other people here have had problems with this too.

Similar Products Used: RockShox Judy, Dart2
Mike   [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

the stupid arch, i broke it in less then a month, the arc cracked right along the boot. Manitou was good about the replacing them and gave me the forks a step up

piece of crap forks

Wally   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2003]

Arch

Yup...it broke. I hadn't even ridden the bike 1 mile yet and the arch broke on the ride side. I was in my yard and wasn't doing anything serious. Also tacoed the front wheel. Manitou was good about it and I upgraded. This fork should be recalled.

ken carstens   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2003]
Strength:

nil

The forks broke causing a sever accident. No broken bones but the entire left side of my back is bruised/road-rashed. My front wheel was completely folded, and i'm a little pissed.

If you've got'em get rid of 'em. They're dangerous!!! If there hasn't been a factory recall yet, then there should be one.

Similar Products Used: none
dfshg afg   Downhiller [Aug 31, 2003]
Strength:

adsf

sadf

adfsadg

Similar Products Used: sadf
elmo   Downhiller [Jun 05, 2003]
Strength:

Fine for basic MTBing

They break!! Horribly and painfully

These shocks are basically fine......until they snap on your ass and you go tumbling to your doom! As per every other bloody review for these shocks the cross arm thingy snapped at the top on ther right. The first time it happened i got them replaced under warranty. The second time, which was last weekend, I crapped off a beuty and bent my front wheel all to *&%(.

If you have the option DONT BUY THESE PIECES OF CRAP, unless you like never ending drama and a little danger in your life.

Justin Blythe   [May 31, 2003]
Strength:

Now that its fixed and tuned........Its pretty smooth as long as its lubed...

It will Break! I thought it wouldn't happen to me and it did......

This thing is very dangerous! I was riding down an old logging road and the reverse arch completly cracked.. When it broke the arch stopped the front tire (keep in mind i was going about 25mph) and you can imagine what happened next.... Well after i thought my hip was broke and i was going to have to be air lifted out it was obvious that this fork is a real piece! if you know what i mean... DO NOT BUY this. You will get hurt! 4 weeks later still sore to the touch.

Similar Products Used: Rock shox, Fox
John Terrain   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 2003]

Everything

This fork sucks. I have not broken it yet, however, I might as well not even have a front shock. I realize the fork is an entry level(low end) model, however, the manufacturer should recall the s@$# before someone gets seriously injured. I will upgrade when I get a chance.