Manitou Sherman Firefly 2003 Front Shocks

Axle: Standard Quick Release
Optional: Hex Lock Thru-axle

[Jul 01, 2003]
John Lee

Strength:

5" travel, really stiff, soft and supple on slow hits and stiff and plush on hard hits at high speeds, skewers are nice also.

I have 350 miles on this fork and I can't find any weaknesses yet. Believe me I did not baby this fork. I beat the snot out of this thing and still performs like a champ.

Get this fork if you want high performance action. This is a great product.Perfect for freeride ball busting drops and still light enough for XC singletrack trial rousting. This fork rocks for a single crown and still stiff enough to take a thrashing. So it's a little heavy but it makes you a better rider on the way down by far.

Manitou Black Comp. Fox 125 RLC

[Jun 16, 2003]
mike

Strength:

very rigid, plush travel, quality materials

travel switch is stiff

The z1 freeride was a noodle compared to sherman. I had heard good things about the z1 but was unhappy with it. the fox fork had a slop in the first inch of travel that was a major distraction over washboard and roots. the rockshox was pretty good but the sherman really brings this bike alive. the 20mm thru axle gives you the confidence to ride through anything. go fast and it will handle anything!!!!!! great freeride fork but still light enough for long rides

marzzochi z1, rockshox psylo, fox vanilla 125

[Jun 11, 2003]
Mayflower Fitzgerald
Downhiller

Strength:

Stregths is right! This puppy is strong! Massive, burly, stiff, huge and strong! Damping is absolutely the best I have used. TPC+ just inhales drops. I'm 185lbs and the stock springs work fine. Hex lock thru axle is genius, this thing is easily more stiff steering than any single crown out there that I have been on. It's even on par with some Ddual crown forks. Fork just feels rock solid. Runs a 2.6" Gazz. Jr. with no problem. Ti spring is cool. Camo paint is cool.

Fork is about .8lb (20%!!!) heavier than advertised. If I cared about weight I would be pretty worked up about that. Oh well, nothing ever weighs what it's supposed to.

Don't hesitate to pick up this fork if you need something for freeride/urban and occasional DH shuttles. It's solid and doesn't flinch at 6 foot to flat drops with a 185lb rider. I feel good using it for urban because the lowers are so thick and stout a gouge here or there isn't going to worry me.

Stratos MX6, Old Marz. Z1, Marz. Z1 qr20+, Marz. Z3 qr20+, Jr T, WB UD 150, Manitou X-Verts, Black and SX ti.

[Jan 22, 2006]
Reilly
Downhiller

Strength:

Super plush, dependable, low maintenance, NO FLEX what so ever, built like a tank, very ajustable, 20mm axel, looks burly

Mine makes this clicking sound when the fork goes about half way through its travel but it doesnt seem to affect its performance in anyway. maybe another inch or 2 of travel and I'd be estatic

Sick fork for freeriding. Performs better than some 6 or 7 inch travel forks. buy it!

some suntour fork, not nearly as great as the firefly

[Oct 15, 2003]
Tom Preston

Strength:

These forks are very plush, look amazing, beefy, good adjustments, quite light, TITANIUM springs! excellent for all types of riding.

Uuuuum, none! (Although some people may find it annoying ahving to buy a disk adaptor for the Hayes/Manitou mount), but that's life.

These forks were a straight improvement to the performance of my bike. They made it feel much more plush and stif, and gave me more confidence to do things I would have thought about with my Psylo's. I have got the QR forks and they feel very stif anyway, so the QR20 axle must be amazingly stiff. I recommend these forks to everyone, the TPC+ damping is incredible and evil genius seals work a treat. GET THESE FORKS!!!

Rock Shox Psylo C, Rock Shox Psylo XC, Rock Shox Psylo SL, Marzocchi Z1 Wedge, Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off, MArzocchi Jnr T.

[Dec 25, 2003]
michael clyne

Strength:

looks burly, very stiff, simple internals, smmooooth travel
enough travel for 15ft tranny drops

paint work scratches easily, simple internals, crap travel adjuster
problems with leaky cartridge

after my blacks i never wanted to see another manitou again coz they were godawful...in warranty every month for a year, until i refused to use them again... was told i could get the shermans for cost price...350 squid... not too bad considering they were only 1 week new.
I was impressed with how plush they were... and thought i would need a stiffer spring... (me - 13 stone)... but the TPC+ works wonders thank goodness as the springs cost a bomb. had problems with oil leaking out the right leg (top and bottom)... dissapointed to find internals fairly simple and exactly like the blacks... but at least its metal and not plastic. travel adjuster also fukked leaving me with 10 mm of travel????? costing me one timed run at Fort william scottish champs, and nearly costing me the world firfeighters xc champs in italy (not the win but the ride)... nobodies able to tell me what caused it.. I think its a compression lock when the oil is leaking into the fork??
i race xc on it and do fine... 5th in scottish champs first in nat' firefighter champs... and i race dh on it too... biggest drop i done is 15 ft tranny... fork copes fine...come up short on one or 2 doubles too...but still ok
faith in manitou restored :-) definately buy it. dunno about the spv opne though as it'll be less plush. log onto pinkbike. com and go to photos and type into the 'submitted by'...."mike clyne"... to see the stuff it can cope with have come up short on that one...fork were fine (shemae about he headtube though

manitou blacks, shiver sc, MZ'wedges

[Apr 08, 2004]
Don Olson

Strength:

Super stiff, super plush, superb workmanship and quality. Love the machined damper adjusters!

??? Have not had long enough yet to say. Haven't seen any so far?

This was my 1st Manitou product and had to check out all the reviews when I saw it on sale for $299.95 at Greenfish (great, friendly service!) and with my PORC (Pittsburgh Off Road Cyclists) club discount I got it down to $269.00! Stock spring was a bit too plush for my tank butt so I got an extra firm spring and now it is really bottomless and super smooth. The manual says to allow for 20 Hrs of break in to achieve full smoothness. It's really plush now, can't wait to feel 20 Hrs later!! Because of the rigidity of this fork I was running it downhill last night faster than my light would allow my eyes/brain to process! Much faster than I would have gone on my Psylo. Overall I am looking forward to along relationship w/this fork! I am very pleased so far and can't wait for Laurel Mountain to dry out to try it out in the rock gardens!

Rockshox Psylo XC w/custom tuned damper and custom paint job! Thanks Denny!!

[Mar 22, 2007]
jake bob

Strength:

stiff.. smooth .. great rebound.. gold stantions

i blew the rebound cartridge and i broke the travel adjustment i had a simailar problem with my old sherman flick plus forks but i got the travel adjustment fixed on thoughs.. i had oil leek out of my fork since i got it

Good fork if you buy it brand new and make sure u know how much air to put in the spv air vavle ... be carful if you put to much in you will blow your rebound cartridge... manitou is great with replacing it for free although it is a pain to get it fixed .... if your lucky and send your fork to manitou they might send you travis's

sherman flick plus, splice comp

[Apr 06, 2004]
Johnny O

Strength:

Plush, Stiff, Strong

I've only had this fork for a month, but what an improvement over the Psylo.The adjustable travel (110-130) helps when climbibg to my favorite gravity trail. This fork glides over the root sections and soaks 3-4' drops-to-flat without bottoming out. The compression and rebound are easy to adjust thanks to the large dials. My Bike setup is for freeride, the 2001 Bullit is only 5" travel. But the Sherman Firefly is a big confidence booster. I am waiting for Plattekill and Mountain Creek to open for the season. I will post another review if my opinion changes under these conditions.

Psylo xc

[Nov 20, 2003]
hora Horacek

Strength:

Plush and very strong.

Please be careful that you are actually getting a Ti spring inside your Fireflys and not steel. The Flick model has the steel spring but like some fellow riders I have since learned that Fireflys that come on bike builds 'may' not be Ti to keep costs down and some shops selling the firefly at 'great prices' might not be Ti inside.

Im giving 5 flaming chillis for value and performance for 2 reasons- one so this thread wont be auto-flashed up and pulled but also becuase the fork is darn good. It beats my old Fox Vanilla hands down. Ok, this fork is more agricultural than the Fox but it doesnt flex and is super-strong

Everything