Manitou Black Super 2003 Front Shocks

Casting: Magnesium RA
Stanchions: 30 mm aluminum
Steerer: Aluminum

b m   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

-costs less than forks with equal features
-more stiff than rockshox
-light weight
-I got 100% of my $$$ back

Where to begin. This fork is a disaster Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. Out of box there was a piece inside rattling around. The lockout was broken, the top caps were stripped, the travel adjust rarely worked, I could bottom it out with max air pressure by gently pushing it down. I weigh 160lbs. It leaked, the plastic adjustments eventually fell off from vibrations. It felt like hell. It was not plush and did a terrible job at absorbing bumps. I was also unable to take the fork apart to pect it because the caps on top are they immediately stripped, so I couldnt fix anything.

Do not consider this fork. You will be throwing your money away. Get a Marzocchi, Fox or dare I say a Rockshox instead. Answer needs to work on their quality control, because there is no excuse for such faulty and dangerous products. I was lucky that I was able to return the fork for all my money back after the fork basically fell apart.. Look at the rest of the reviews for this fork. People are not happy with it. I for one will never buy a Manitou fork again.

Similar Products Used: Rock shox Judy 100, Marz Z3, Z1 dropoff, Z1 MCR, Z1 Wedge, other Marz. And my current fork the Fox TALAS RLC.
Whales   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

I think the reverse arch does add some stiffness...

Where to begin! Have to agree with Rick below...this thing is junk! Was looking for 100mm-decent weight. Had a SID and liked it-it was sold with my old bike. Cheesy plastic controls-stickers fell off in minutes-max air pressure and this thing is still soft-and I only weigh 150lbs-stripped post mount-makes weird sounds-proprietary grease gun required-

There's a reason these things are on sale! I haven't had experience with Fox or 'Zokes, but I WISH I would have bucked up and chosen one of those. I would even take my old SID over this thing! Yep, that pretty much covers all of Manitou's main competitors. If you seen one of these online or at your LBS-turn and run!

PS-I'm not a huge fan of Colrado Cyclist either-it took me 20 minutes of haggling over the phone with a CSR to convince him that there's a difference between a Disc-only Black (which I ordered) and the one they actually sent me!
Sheesh!

Rock on Cambria-sorry I "cheated" on you!

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox SID XC-older model
Zeus   Cross Country Rider [Jun 16, 2003]
Strength:

Low price, adjustments

Shotty quality, not smooth

I agree with below. Terrible Quality. Sorry I own it. Problems with lockout, travel adjustment. Even fixed, it isn't very smooth. Rather spend double for 5x the performance. Go with a Talas, or (bite my tongue) a SID.

Similar Products Used: Fox, SID
bikeybike   Racer [Jun 10, 2003]
Strength:

increable adjustments. light.

none.

I have use this fork for over 8 months with no problems. adjustments are increable. i use a 100-120mm and it has no prob handling 5-7 foot drops.

To the guy below:
Maybe you have a bad one?

Similar Products Used: marzocchi
Rick   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

cheap, easy to adjust

Cheap, unpredictable travel.

Do not buy this fork, it’s dangerous. When new, it worked fine with a nice smooth stroke. Although it did have a tendency to blow through it’s entire stroke on medium size bumps. After riding the fork for 3 months the problems with sticking began. Either it easily blew through all of it’s travel or it would stick and momentarily lock up half way through it’s travel. No amount of lube in the microlube ports would stop this from happening (I tried). I also tried disassembling the fork and cleaning it (as recommended in to owners manual). That also did not stop the fork from sometimes sticking. Think of the implications of this, when in technical situations you have no idea how the fork is going to react to trail obstacles. Will I be unexpectedly jolted at the handlebars because the fork has decided to momentarily lock up or will the fork behave I a compliant manner???? I was able to recreate this problem by standing over the bike and rapidly pushing down on the handlebars. Sure enough, every few strokes it would momentarily freeze up half way through the stroke. It’s baffling because internally there is nothing wrong with the fork, I have properly maintained the fork, I lubed the heck out of it, I don’t do major drops, I’m just an average mountain biker. I think the problem is simply cheap manufacturing and cheap parts. Note that this tendency to randomly freeze up is potentially dangerous. Rather than risk a trip to the hospital, I replaced this fork for with a Fox. To say the least, I am extremely upset and livid with the fact that I wasted $300 on this poorly built, joke of a fork. Shame on Manitou for selling this garbage. I would have though by now the at the bike industry would have gotten over trying to sell cheap, crappie components in a effort to see how much money they could make, but apparently that is still the goal of Manitou.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox, Zokes
ApexRider   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight for 120mm Travel
Inexpensive
Convenient Adjustment

Poor Quality
Not smooth action
Travel Adjustment slips from 120 to 100 often

Not very impressed. Probably should have gone with a Marathon or Fox. Both were hard to come by at the time of purchase.

Within 1 month, the lockout broke, then the travel adjustment broke, now the travel adjustment just slips from one setting to the other randomly on it own.

The fork is not smooth at all, and the rebound adjustment is just a gimmick with no noticable difference at any setting.

s r   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2003]
Strength:

-light for a fork with 120mm travel
-easy to adjust
-looks different
-TPC+
-price
-I was able to return it for a full refund and get a Talas

-looks cheap
-all that plastic garbage
-after 1 ride something inside had broken and was rattling around
-most riders will need a stiffer spring, I weigh 165 and with the psi almost twice the recommended pressure the fork would bottom from me standing and pushing down
-air doesnt feel very good(excluding Talas and Z1 FR SL)
-not as stiff as Fox or Marz
-stanchions are always covered in oil from mini boots

If you are a lightweight rider who is not going to do anything big, then consider this. There are just so many superior forks currently on the market that I wouldnt recmmond the Super air. I admit that I didnt keep it long so it probably would have gotten better, but after purchasing the Fox TALAS RLC, there is no comparison in build, looks, quality, feel, performance.

Similar Products Used: Marz Z1 and Z3 light
Rockshox Psylo
Rockshox Judy 100
Fox Talas(the best)
brian   [Mar 23, 2006]

everyone that i know thats had a manitou shock and has done some serious riding has blown their shocks. its about 50-60 to get it resealed at the shop, but for a shock this expensive - it shouldnt be blowing after 10-15 trail rides.

im 175 pounds fyi...my mani blew on my 5th ride :(
saving up to get a fox

kevin   Weekend Warrior [Feb 05, 2007]
Strength:

reeeally smooth nice look adjustable compression , rebound and lock-out

i used this fork for near 3 year , i made about 3500 km a year and i had no problem with this fork i'd like to say to some people that had previously write review on this fork , BUY THE WRIGHT FORK . this is a good cross-country and trail fork . NOT A FREERIDE FORK .

Similar Products Used: marzocchi z-1 rockshox judy sl
Rich Lowery   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2003]
Strength:

Adjustability, smooth.

Have to dissassemble to change out spring for heavy/light rider (see previous post). The stickers come off fairly quickly.

Still rides great, I would buy another. As a clydesdale racer I'm no weight weenie. I got the air for the adjustability, light weight is just a plus. I love to bunny-hop and the front end is so light it just leaps over logs and off wheelie-drops. I could take the travel adjust knob off for all the use it's getting (you need to adjust air pressure when you adjust travel and I'm not taking my pump out in the middle of a ride). The lockout works great, but other than cruising on the road or a race start it's not worth taking my hands away from steering to mess with. It's just a miserably cold/wet day on my day off. So I thought I'd update my post and tell everyone that my fork's still SUPER. (Even without the stickers)

Similar Products Used: I love to test ride so I've tried most of them.