Manitou Black Sport 2003 Front Shocks

Casting: Magnesium RA
Stanchions: 30 mm aluminum
Steerer: Steel

chris villeneuve   Racer [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

front absobtion great. lightweight. tunable

great shox great price definatly worth the money. good advanced rider shox. good for beginners but maybe want to wait before dishing out the money. this is my fifth pair of shox and by far the best pair ive owned never have any problems and they look great

Similar Products Used: marzochi bombers
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

Rebound, Stiff, Perfect for my weight

Expensive to service. Gun+grease costs 30$, Boots suck

Love the fork. Extreamly Glad I bought it. I do alot of Trails and this sucks up everything I have thrown at it. Biggest drop so far = 6 ft -> Did not bottom out. I do 20km a day road riding to and from work. In the evening: Trails, and urban = as much as I am able to.

Someone heavier may want stiffer springs but for me (160lbs) its perfect. I do not like the Boots, I found that they actually trapped dirt, I replaced with Lizardskins. Perfect for intermeadite rider.

Similar Products Used: Six Comp, Suntour crap
Peter Acs   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2003]
Strength:

Nice price, strong legs, cool design, postmount brake

very little oil leaking from right leg, expensive grease gun

Bought this (dealer allows to buy OEM forks too) to replace the SIX Sport, and it was the best choice. Plush movement, ideal for my weight (60kg), I only bottomed it down once, altough my riding style is quite agressive. Damping is nicely adjustable, and very good stiff for the disc brakes.

Similar Products Used: SR Suntour 8300, Manitou Six Sport 2003
Joe   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

plush, soaks up small-medium size bumps well, good repound adjustment

The fork is too soft for big drops and heavier riders

Good plush fork for riding in the woods, soaks up rocks, and logs well; May need stiffer springs for large drops, or dirt jumping. Not a bad fork, but not awsome. I thought it was way too soft at first, but it has grown on me. This fork can only be bought on a complete bike. Overall its a decent fork, that could be improved with some stiffer springs.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shocks, other manitou
Fer Lira   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

Is good that you can adjust your fork for large and re bound

The problem is many adjustments means “you can have many problems”

I bought a K2 Tirade 4.0 and it comes with this fork, this is a freeride bike, this means I can Jump, Fly, droops, ride and everything….. the problem was, after one month of use, the fork was getting strong until appear a 0mm fork…. I already sent the fork to Manitou and I haven’t had and answer…. I promise to my self never have a Manitou again

Similar Products Used: Duke, Judy
Ken Osman   Cross Country Rider [Oct 06, 2003]
Strength:

Great looks, stiff and easy to adjust, dampening works very well and the fork did not bottom out although I weigh around 210. Also, travel was smooth out of the box.

Product literature and owner's manual could be improved.

I am not quite sure why this fork has an average rating of 2.88 while the Comp version averages almost 4.4 points as it is essentially the same fork. The only difference is that the Comp has Rapid Travel Adjustment whereas the Sport is internally convertable between either 80-100 or 100-125. For me, I don't need the adjustment on-the-fly capability, and I have found this fork to be a bargain. It is stiff, durable and plush over the nasty stuff. It is not as plush as an air fork, but for the price, it simply cannot be beat. Highly Recommended!

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Judy TT, Manitou XVert, Rockshox Duke
caleb   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2006]
Strength:

almost never botoms out, inexpensive

not enough travel and bacicly no ajustability

good for cross contry not good for freeride but ok for trail riding. dont upgrade. not worth the $.

Similar Products Used: pilot, duke
Robert P.   [Feb 24, 2004]
Strength:

Great Fork for the money, works great, looks great.

Internally convertable travel sucks, is a little to plush.

Great fork. Im not sure what this "Kenny" was talking about when he says he did drops that big, i have mine to 120 mm. , and with the compression as high as it can go, i bottom out on a 3 ft. drop to flat land almost every time, Landing on a decent is a different matter, but there is no possible way you can do the drops that big, and i only weigh 150. im thinking of getting a firm spring just for the drops, but i dont want to loose the small bump sensivity.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Six
Kris Allain   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2004]
Strength:

Convertable travel, external rebound and dampening adjustments, lube injection ports, looks cool

nothing worth writing about

This has been a great fork so far. It is my first fork to purchase brand new. It was extremely plush and smoother than butter when I took it out the box. I did think it was too soft at first but I had just transferred from a Rock Shox Judy SL with Xtra firm springs. The medium springs have grown on me since our trails have a bunch of rooty sections. The softness soaks them up like I were riding on the road. OK, not exactly but close enough!

Anyway, I have done some jumping and the fork hasn't bottomed out yet but has come close. Just get springs to fit your riding style and weight and you should love the fork. I weigh 195 so it works for someone my size. Great for for the money I spent. I like the extra 25 - 50mm of travel that this fork offers compared to its competitors.