Manitou Black Elite 2003 Front Shocks

Stanchions: 30 mm aluminum
Steerer: Aluminum

[Aug 21, 2003]
peter

Strength:

this fork is great, its stiff, plush, progessive (TPC+), and 100mm travel.

um got the stiffer springs put, and now the travel adjust doesnt work. not bothered though

this fork is infinitly better then the skareb (read my reviews for that fork to find out what happened) it replaces. its bascially everything you need in a fork, read strengths. I got as a upgrade from manitou for an extra 50 bucks as they realised the skareb i had was a hunk of junk (ie for 13 weeks i was without my fork due to probs with it). MOre then happy with this fork so far. The TPC+ damping is awesome you must ride one to realise how good it is. Does not have preload so why does the specs always say it does. with the TPC+ it doesnt need it. any way, top fork, works great.

skareb comp (absolute crap), crappy suntour fork (better then skareb)

[Jun 14, 2003]
Jeff Lopez

Strength:

easy travel adjustment,plush and stiff,goes from plush to firm in just a twist great for xc and trials riding, light freeriding. I like the fact that my favorite brakes (hayes) bolt right on.

shock has dead space about 2-3mm.feels like the hub or headset is loose. you can pull on the Hbars and feel the wheel drop. shock has been taken apart and it is small spring inside that is not serviceable. i checked some of the other bikes in the shop and they have this small space aswell. shock is still pretty much new. this does not hamper performance but drives my crazy

never had a problem with any of the answer products that I've used before but this shock I've taken apart twice and I can't get that slop out shock performs great if you can overlook the the dead space. I've called answer and talked to one guy in tech support and he sounded like he didn't understand the problem. but just take any elite 80/100 and grab the lowers and pull the Hbars and you will feel the dead space. I'm little disappointed thats all.

manitou sx-r, rockshox sid, manitou mars,old judy

[May 27, 2003]
johnny boczar

Strength:

Very nice fork, smooth, quick, the rapid travel adjusment is a very great gadget, very easy to adjust, overall a great fork

Weight

I have tried this fork on a XC cross country trail and the answer was that the fork is great, I was very impressed of those quick adjusments.

Marzzochi marathon

[Mar 01, 2004]
Mike

Strength:

Strong.
Plush travel, especially in the 120 mm setting.
Adjustable rebound and compression.
Easy to service.

In the 100 mm setting, the fork is really stiff, and not as responsive.

Good fork for the money. Actually suits me well because while climbing or riding to the trail,I use the stiff 100mm setting. But when the going gets tough the 120mm setting provides plush travel. Im 190lbs and Ive never bottomed it out with the stock springs.

[May 01, 2007]
Myles Collins
Downhiller

Strength:

light and rigid as in strength.

During warm days it is ver plush, but during cold days its like riding a rigid.

This fork is a great fork at first, but after about 3 years of hard riding it starts to have problems. Starts to creak and feel like crap even after changing the fluid.

[Apr 27, 2003]
Aaron

Strength:

Good weight to travel ratio, stiff, easy on the fly travel adjustment, DOES NOT use the splash lube of other 2003 Manitou forks, great dampening

Though I use Hayes, it still makes me nervous to thread bolts strait into the fork leg. The think it is time for all forks to use the IS mounts.

This fork has been very reliable for me. I like how the travel adjustment stiffens the fork when in the 100mm position. Makes long climbs easier with less fork bob. The TPC dampening is the best and most reliable system out there. Hopefully I will not have the problems that others have encountered, but if I do, Answer has always stood behind their products (unlike FOX and Rock Shox!) and have fix any problems I have had in the past.

2002 Fox Vanilla RLC

[Jan 20, 2004]
alex g.

Strength:

Reverse arch stiffness, simple maintenance free design, boot-wiper seals,coil design, great feel and response...

None detected yet...

After swapping my Z2 Atom for the Black I noticed an immediate increase in performance and riding predictability. Coil shocks ramp up through the shocks stroke so much sweeter. I'm actually flying through rock sections that were sketchy with the air fork. COILS RULE! The 80-100 adjustment is way cool and simple. Even in the 100 mm setting the fork is so much more responsive than the 80mm Z2 air. With time and use, the coil spring relaxes a bit and provides exceptional initial bump responsiveness. Performs like a Marzocchi Z2 coil that is stiffer with fewer moving parts. Best fork I've owned yet! Has completely transformed my Sugars handling! SWEEEETNESS...

Manitou Mach 5, SX-R, Marzocchi Z2 BAM, Z2 Atom, SID.

[Oct 05, 2003]
Brent Parker

Strength:

-Fairly light weight.
-Low price (only $330 with shipping/tax)
-Fast and easy travel adjust & lockout. Very simple to use.
-Feels great, soaks up bumps quite well and doesnt have much flex.

-could have a stiffer preload (stiffer springs can be purchased)

For the money you cant beat it in my opinion (so long as you dont mind buying at the end of the 03 season). I cant vouch for its long term durability yet, but right now it seems great.

I would give it 5 chilis in a second if it came with stiffer springs (who on earth only weighs 140 pounds anyways?), it could be a "hair" lighter as well, but thats not really an issue i guess its light enough.

Rock shox judy, older manitou and an even older marzochi
Of the 4-5 forks ive previously had this is the best so far.

[Feb 21, 2004]
Jeff Dempler
Downhiller

Strength:

Super plush, great adjustment, great on chatter bumps

Afects the steering performance

This fork is a great fork for someone who is very lightweight (Soft springs and i'm 85lbs, 13 years old). It takes drops nicely and also can withstand urban hits along with jumps (dirt). They are easy to find, especially on ebay, and have killer looks to them.

Manitou Six Deluxe, Marzocchi Shiver SC, Rockshox Pyslo XC

[Apr 09, 2004]
tom la

Strength:

What an upgrade from a old 63mm superfly...It's made it evident how much energy I was wasting being tense on the superfly...the extra pound be damned, I'm saving so much energy just relaxing and riding over everything! PLUSH.

spring has lots of preload on it...then again, that's the poor man's SPV...

solid, plush fork. compression lockout is great, rebound control has a very wide range of adjustment...80/100 travel adjust works great...at 185 lbs. I'm thinking of either cutting a coil off the stock spring to stiffen the rate and cut the preload (At the expense of a few mm travel) or putting in the firm spring at minimum preload...may also switch to 7.5wt oil. Awesome fork.

marzocchi z2 superfly, 70mm