Manitou Axel Super 2003 Front Shocks

Axel Super

Features:
Internally convertible travel from 80mm to 100mm Coil, TPC Damping, adjustable rebound & preload, Microlube grease ports, Magnesium RA (Reverse Arch) casting, Aluminum steerer tube

soren.s.s   Weekend Warrior [Oct 23, 2008]
Strength:

obsorbs shocks well doesent bottom out like everybody sais

cracked the arch, preload isnt very adjustible

The fork is pretty good, the person at the bike shop said that that type of wreck would break any fork like that, so I dont have very much against it except that the preload doesent adjust it very much

Similar Products Used: none
Steven Hamilton   Weekend Warrior [Aug 19, 2003]
Strength:

100 mm of travel (Optional lock out- is nice)

Doesn't have the smoothest traveel, and will bottom out if your a heavier rider like me.

Not a bad fork, but not a good one either. At 210lbs. It would bottom out, and just didn't have the smooth movements that I got from my Duke XC. Not a bad entery level stock shock. But I would not recomend going out and buying it.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Duke XC/ Judy
Charlie   Racer [Aug 18, 2003]
Strength:

I have been riding this fork for about 3 weeks and have not found any problems. The fork is really plush and an overall fun ride.

Compared to other products its not as much an efficient-peddler-friendly fork.

Its a fun ride, you'll see the Axel a lot on most Specialized complete bikes. It really balances out the Fox Float. You will like this fork if you are an avid cross-country rider who usually prefers the downhill more than uphill.

Similar Products Used: 2002 Rock Shox Psylo Race and SL, Sid Team.
William   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

Have not found one yet!!! Well I guess there is enough room in the shock tubes to fill them with sand, I bet it would be more reliable then!!!!

The shock itself..I have had it three weeks it hasent worked properly since I started using it.

The first day I had it the preload broke..It bottoms out on a twig .The stock spring seemed to loose tension after a few rides. It flexed so much my tire wore a indintion in the so call stiff reverse arc. The bike shop I bought it from said the front wheel was flexing not the fork, so I had the wheel trued three times, once after each time I rode and it didnt help one bit.. So I purchased the firm spring and IT DID NOTHING!!!!
After it bottomed out on a 1 foot drop and I almost killed myself and made my front wheel into a taco, After showing them the damage and my horribly bruised and battered body my lbs said they called answer and they didnt think that this shock was good for me after making me feel like a moron when I was trying to tell them all along that it bottomed out way to easy and it flexed so much my tire would rub on the arc that it almost sent me over the handle bars..They also whynned and cryed when they found out I installed the firm spring on my own,The reason I installed it myself is beacause they wanted to charge me 20.00 to install it and it only takes about 3 minutes to do how stupid is that and thats after I payed over retail for the spring!!!!!!!! So now they offered me a manitou elite or a black at there price and the elite has terrible reviews to, I dont know what to do!!!

Similar Products Used: RST Rock shox
Clint   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2003]
Strength:

Cromoly staunchions, Lockout, Not too heavy, RA actually does keep the abrasive local dirt off, Good features for the price.

Rebound adjustment doesn't seem to do much.

Better performance than my old Judy XC's and built to be far more durable.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Indy C, old Judy XC.
Stephen   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2003]
Strength:

I would say it's cheap, but it came with my bike. Overall it is easily adjustable and seems to react to things well. I haven't had it apart yet, so I don't know how that will be. The disc mounts are good, the fork doesn't pick up too much dirt, and even in the mud I haven't had a problem with it yet. The mini-boots get rid of trail grit pretty well.

The stock spring sucks, and getting a replacement spring is a pain in the rear! Also, you need to get the Manitou grease gun to lube it using the 'micro-ports' - not great.

I would probably not buy this fork if I was in the market for one, but I certainly wouldn't avoid buying a bike with one on it (face it, I didn't avoid buying mine). A fork is easily replaceable, so the bottom line is that it's not bad, but good luck getting a replacement spring.

Similar Products Used: Crappy old RockShox forks.
D Fitzgerald   Weekend Warrior [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Fork came with the bike and it has been back to the LBS every since

Fork was a pogo stick as soon as I got it on the trail. The compression wasn't right and it sounded and felt off. Adjusting the rebound didn't help. It felt loose. Had to replace the fork.

I read the reviews for the Stumpjumper and decided to buy the bike anyhow. I was nervous but the test ride seemed OK. After a .5 hour trail ride, the problems began. The reviews are right as the shock has problems. Further I think Answer has a quality issue. I'm upgrading the spring like Tony. If that doesn't work I'll go to another fork. If it comes with your bike, ask for an upgrade first. Look for another fork in your $ range if you have a choice.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z.5 on Fisher Sugar
Drew   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

Absorbs everything, adjustable, easy to maintain, disc mounts are good, very attractive, matches my setup perfect; baby blue

spring looses 'spring' over time. needs a heavier spring to accomidate the 100mm travel

Good overall shock, great for medium to light XC! Absorbs is all! Easy to adjust and maintain. Hard to find a shop that knows about this speific shock though (like how to service it the right way) I reccomend this shock for its price!

Similar Products Used: manitou black super air
Tony   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2003]
Strength:

Came with the bike, lock outs. Micro ports. Easy to replace spring.

Weak spring, Plastic spring cap (threads).

The preload adustment is a compromise, it's so it can be used by riders of wider weight and type of use can dial in their shock. If you're outside its range than so is the shocks ability to properly perform. I chose the firm ride spring kit #85-4828 (yellow paint on it). it is the next spring up from the stock Medium ride spring (Red). It comes packed with a black aluminium cap and no provision for the preload adjustment which is no longer needed being that you now have the correct spring. The new spring is 30mm longer than the stock spring which means more spring action.
The new spring performed as it was desiged to VERY WELL. The bike feels so much better now, no more nose dives, it stays in control much better as the steering geometry stays within its parameter. I never gave it a thought that the stock spring staring me in the face was only held in place by the old plastic nut cap, very unnerving. BL. if it came with the bike or if you're planning on buying this or any fork for that matter think about setting it up correctly. Good fork for the money.

Michael   Cross Country Rider [Nov 30, 2003]
Strength:

Looks nice, good adjustments compared to my old Judy, does what fine on my single tracks, love the lockout.

Still not a black, still coil, not as heavy duty as a black or skareb, Manitou's lower end

Decent fork. I will probably upgrade but for now I'll stick with the axel.There are a lot better forcks out there that are alot better deal such as an 03'skareb or even a rock shock duke. If it did not come with my bike theres no way I would have chosen this, but so far it has served me well.