Fox Shox Vanilla 125RLC 2003 Front Shocks

• Compression Lock-Out with adjustable Blowoff Threshold
  • 9 position Low-Speed Compression adjustment provides ultrawide tuning range
  • 12 click rebound adjustment

phil rowlands   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2003]
Strength:

extremely plush / laterally very stiff

slightly annoying that using the lockout upsets compression and rebound adjustment - I intend to invest in a remote lockout when available - I here there's one on the way

Haven't had any of the issues seen by other reviewers - no knocking - even after 6 months riding / no problems apart from the one gripe about the adjusters this is one top piece of kit. This fork complements my O3 Santa Cruz Hecker perfectly.

Similar Products Used: manitou magnum r (pogo stick)
David M   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth as butter, lock out, adjustability, tough.

Other than this is an expensive piece of equipment I haven't found any issues, "No knocking" in 3 months of hard cross country riding. The guys I ride with who have this fork don't have any issues or knocking either. So, all is good.

I think the Fox 125 rocks. I haven't had any knocking or other performance issues though I have primarily ridden in cross country, hard though, in the 4" setting. It's taken my bike to the next level of performance and comfort. I am making more tough technical steep sections, smaller 3.5ft drops, roots, rocks, lava and the like which are out here in Oregon everywhere. Nothing but aces here. I strongly recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Marzocci Z-1 and Bam Z-2. The Fox compares with my 130mm Marzocci.
Tony Rat   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

Precise steering and very plush from the box, adjustable, different springs included, pretty light, look the business.

Lower leg paint finish flakes easily. Damping could be a bit faster, occasional slight noise over stutter bumps as if there is a air pocket in the damper. None are major.

I have a 2003 fork and don't seem to to have the problems others have had.
The Enduro front & rear suspension now feel balanced allowing me to go faster than ever before with much more control.
I am far more confident thanks to these forks (and a decent bike behind them).

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z1 and Z3's. RS Judy's.
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Positively none. Well, it is all black.......

knocking that feels like a loose headset. using lockout changes compression setting.

Fox Forx Sux! The knocking described by virtually every reviewer below will drive you nuts. Fox claims that this knocking is just part of the design - I claim that this knocking is just part of a POOR design. Due to poor quality and weak customer service (i wanted a refund for this crappy product), I have to give this fork the finger. I also give it just one flaming pile, which what this fork really is.

Similar Products Used: all of 'em
ArrowJumper   Racer [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth as butter until the knocks come out. I pretty much agree with the reviews below. So I will just go off that!

I easily bent my fork (dirt jumping). I do not case often, but when I do I expect my bike to hold up! So I sent the fork in for warrenty. I felt that a possible poor heat treatment of the alloy must have been the cause. I was kinda discouraged about the customer service I received after sending my fork in for repair. They gave in some but the repairs were still expensive. Now, after two full days of jumping the wonderful knocks are back. The knocks are only a nusence, but dirt jumping is best experienced with a silent fork. Such a large company should provide exceptional customer service. The fork is a little weak for dirt jumping. I do not feel Brian Lopes should represent this product. Not unless the company is willing to back it up 100%. Which they are not. My paint chiped alot. I dont care so much about aesthetics except it was due to a poor powdercoat, and the chips mainly happened around the dropouts which made for uneven seating of the wheel axle. I must say other aspects of the forks engineering are exceptional. On another note. During the short time that I raced the WIM series the local Fox racer/product rep raved about how great the forks and shocks are. His bike was set up with a 5th element with a fox sticker. How tacky is that?

Buy Marzocchi!

Similar Products Used: Lots!
Mista Blix   Weekend Warrior [Jun 02, 2003]
Strength:

Clean asthetics and stiff.

Clank, bonk, clunk, bang. Adjuster stack binds. Sounds like it is breaking all the time.

So, I've now run my Vanilla RLC in all travel modes - currently settled at 80mm on my SS.

The thing is clanging like a mother. The damper side has recently developed a nasty clunk about halfway through its travel and of course the left side spring has clanged all along. Oh yeah, the adjuster stack is a nightmare although I do appreciate the lockout on long standing climbs on the SS. Too bad it un/readjusts the rebound and low-speed compression settings every time I use it. Then again, the latter has never demonstrated to me that it does anything other than spin.

Not to totally trash Fox - it is a pretty fork and is stiffer than the pre-03 Z1s, but my new '03 Z1FRQR20 pimp slaps it into noodly oblivion.

Oh yeah, I thought I was smart and cut the plastic shrink wrap off my "red" (heavy) spring thinking it was sloppy QC at Fox. Reading some other posts/reviews this was their apparent attempt to resolve the left side clanging. Seems like a real half-arsed solution to me. Funny, never had those issues on a Zoke.

So, it's bought and paid for but otherwise disappointing. I've never had to do anything other than change springs and oil in my Zokes. This Fox is like an annoying high maintenance girlfriend. She looks good, but you know she's gone in a heartbeat when some that "performs" better comes along.

F80X..???

--Sean

Similar Products Used: All of them.
Gordon   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2003]
Strength:

Oodles of adjustability with the spring pack as well as the dials. Able to adjust everything on the fly which is great when first setting up...eg bottomed out: one more click please...

From other reviews, the knock is normal and it doesn't affect operation, so I don't care about it. Compression lockout works but you don't need it & I hate the concept of accommodating the whingers who think that you lose power through your front suspension...its your pedalling, guys.

Adjustability should make it suitable for a wide range of XC riders. The travel issue that someone else found seems weird, I have no problem bottoming out when the preload is low and there are two guys I ride with using the same fork with only praise for it. Serious honesty check for RS & Marzoccchi.

Similar Products Used: Judy XC, SL, Pilot C (puh!!)
Tom   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, stiff, stiff. Plush, plush, plush.

Noise. Inability to get anywhere near 5 inches of travel.

Another rant about this fork's noise. I wish I would have read the reviews before choosing it. Have never gotten over 4.5 inches of travel, either. Lockout lever always dragged on compression dial, so anytime you used the lockout more than twice, the compression dial was fully open.

So, bless Discover Bicycles. They tried and tried to make this fork right. Many calls to Fox (response--what problem), three tries at refilling damping cartridge. Still no luck. Still noisy and somewhat "loose" feeling, even after 50+ hours. Thankfully, they swapped the fork out for a new TALAS RLC which has been perfect, though not quite as plush.

It's sad to see Fox stub their toe on this fork. Such a great company, with such great products, but now they seem to be avoiding owning up to this issue. I rode a marzocchi Z-1 for three full years. All I ever did was change the oil twice a year. It never saw the inside of the shop after I first bought it.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z-1.
Dan Smith   Weekend Warrior [Jan 12, 2004]

This is a update of a previous review I submitted ages ago.

The clunking gets worse but the sticking lock out has eased off, still sticks a bit though!

Overall I love these forks but that clunking really starts to bug you on a long ride.

Jose Rodriguez   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2003]
Strength:

No flex. Maintenance free. No need to adjust stupid levers and knobs

It only comes in black

I bolted this thing to my two bikes and I have never regretted doing so. The best fork ever. Plush, stiff, trouble free, and it works. I like to ride and I hate adjusting crap each ride. These forks were bolted to the bike as they came out of the box and since then I have put the long miles in them and they work as good as the fist day; all I do is keep them clean. I would not consider buying any other fork. I'm giving these forks five flaming turds because I'm as happy as a pig in mud.