Fox Shox Vanilla 125R 2003 Front Shocks

Vanilla 125R

rebound adjustment

Tom   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

Noticably stiffer than any suspension fork I've tried, very precise steering.

Annoying clunk at start of travel, not as smooth as a Zoke.

This is an OK fork: well made, reliable, and bare-bones. Considering the quality of the construction I would say it's a good value.

Stiffer than zokes I've tried (02s), but if plushness and quality suspension action is what you're after look elsewhere (marzocchi coil/oil forks.)

Higher value rating, good performance/overall rating.

Similar Products Used: Zoke Z1, Atom 100, Atom 80, RS Psylo.
jason   [Dec 04, 2003]

i have this on my bullit. i ride it XC, aggressive trail riding, freeriding, dirt jumping, and even DH at whistler. i'm 225 lbs. so i have the stiffest springs possible. it's a durable fork...very stiff. i didn't need the compression adjustment or lockout. it's smooth. did experience some creaking, but sent in in for service after 1+ years and fox took care of it...and didn't even charge me for it even though the warranty was up. i anticipate riding it for a long time. if you're going to buy a 5" travel fork buy this one!

dan   [Mar 09, 2004]
Strength:

Plush like none other. Seriously though, it's really, really plush.

Not burly enough for real big drops and too heavy for competitive xc racing. This isn't really true though, because the fork can take much more abuse than most can give and is only too light for guys who are too big of sissies to pedal uphill with an extra half pound on their bike.

I haven't had this fork for too long, but it is better than anything I've ever tried before.The action is sooo smooth...I get excited just thinking about riding it. For what it's worth, this is probably the best single crown fork on the market, unless you race world cup xc. Buy a dual crown if your into real nuts downhill and big drops. Don't get me wrong though, this is a SOLID fork. I read one review where a pro rider had it on his hard tail freeride bike for six months with absolutely no problems after SERIOUS abuse, much more than I could dish out. Don't get me wrong though, I still love doing things with my bike that normal people would find questionable. It's just that I limit my drops at around seven or eight feet and take a more surgical approach to abusive technical sections. That will all change once I get my new frame (either a new heckler or chaparral, 5 or 6 inches of travel, respectively), because with this new Vanilla I can tell that only my 3.5 " travel rocky mountain is holding me back. I'll post another review if anything goes wrong, otherwise it's basically perfect.

Similar Products Used: nothing compares. My roommate has a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1 that could take more abuse, but feels like garbage compared to my vanilla
Adam Turner   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2006]
Strength:

Extremely plush ride, low rebound, very forgiving fork, awesome matte black look

I guess if I HAD to find a weakness, it would be a lack of a lockout feature, but as i'm an XC rider it doesn't make any difference to me really.

Awesome fork for the price, you need not buy or even consider any other fork for XC.
Fox has converted me from air to springs with this fork.

Similar Products Used: SR-Suntour MG91
Brow_teeth   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2004]
Strength:

Drives great very stiff and rebound works on every click

None really unless the drop off don't last, what I see so far looks like this fork is a deal! Started off a bit sticky but really smoothed out after a few hard rides

Takes a while to break in like 120 hard miles but then its so smooth and wow so easy to service, hard to fault anything that outperforms and its light for a oil over coil. Running a solid front axle on a super wide 36 hole 3x rim and this fork is like having power stearing mated with a king! At 210 pounds my life is reborn and I didn't have to give up beer! Best bang for $ I spent in the last year.

Similar Products Used: Manatou, zokes
Andrew Greener   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2006]
Strength:

plush travel, takes big hits, ajustability

none really

overall a good fork takes abuse and has a lot of ajustability.... enjoy

Similar Products Used: dukes, rlc, psyco
Joe   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2003]
Strength:

No stiction, tracks so good, quality build, chews the fat off the trail. Never bottomed mine out. Smooth as butter.

None.

I have been using a Fox Vanilla for 18 months and have had no problems. I just got the 125 R to throw on my new free ride Weyless 67. I've had it less than a month but already knew what to expect since having the 100 RL. These are just hard working forks that do the job day in and day out. I haven't done any hucking yet but I have thrashed them on long down hills and rough terrain. So now I have 2 Vanillas keeping me out on the trails. So smooth throughout its travel. Don't hesitate if you consider one and have the moola!

Similar Products Used: 100 RL Vanilla fork.
Wyatt Waro   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2004]
Strength:

Very stiff, Quality travel, excellent bump sensitivity and big hit capability, all precision machined aluminum construction, Rebound and preload settings work very well, Beautiful finish.

Small leak at the bottom nut on the rebound side of the fork. Can't stop it for some reason. Extremely difficult to fill oil on the rebound side of the fork -probably have to take the rebound damper knob off in order to make it easier -too much hassle.

Awesome fork! I really would recommend it to anyone especially if you can get a good deal on it. I've been on this thing for almost 2yrs. and I'm still impressed w/ it. The travel is just amazing you get excellent small bump sensitivity when going fast or slow. Big hits and drops feel great w/ this fork. Just make sure you get the right spring for your weight. Do not change the oil wt. in this fork. It has to have 7wt. oil to work correctly. Just get the right spring and everything will be perfect. There's some minor annoyances but they are really overshadowed by its top-notch performance. If you get a deal on this fork (and they're out there) I must give this product 5 chillis all around! This fork inspires FREERIDE confidence!

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Jet, Manitou SXR, Manitou X-Vert, Marzocchi Z1, Z3, Z5
Thomas   Downhiller [Oct 12, 2003]
Strength:

Nice and Plush, Looks Awesome with the oversized sanctions, taken everything thrown at it! Get full 125mm travel. Great Fork!

nothing major

Awesome fork! Havn't had anything major go wrong with it, It looks very sleek with its oversized sanctions. Hit dirt jumps and 6ft drops with this fork no problem, also works great for riding down your favorite trail, highly recommended! This is a great fork for heavy xc riding or light downhill riding!