Fox Shox TALAS RLC 2003 Front Shocks

TALAS RLC

The TALAS R, RL, and RLC are the ultimate lightweight freeride suspension forks. The premium PSC chassis SDC damper system and the NEW TALAS air spring system make this the most adjustable fork for the ultimate lightweight freeride bike.

• Single Schrader air valve allows easy one-time tuning setup
  • Easy spinning TALAS allows on the fly travel adjustment at 3mm per click from 85 to 125mm. Pressure and spring rates change automatically to correct setting as travel is decreased.
  • IFP with Secondary air chamber provides linear air spring through entire travel for the best bump absorption.
  • SLT - 4 custom SLT seals are used in the NEW TALAS system to provide the lowest friction and maintenance.
  • Fox Quality Billet CNC parts used throughout the TALAS system

dtwolfen   Downhiller [Aug 22, 2011]
Strength:

love the travel adjust for the uphill and the long travel for the down. spend time to know how to take care of it and it will last.

no longer making parts for it so when the dampener went out I sent it back to fox who offered a decreased price on the models

loved this one and never thought to write a review but since it went bad after thousands of miles of use I had to upgrade. Fox did a great job of helping me out and i will write a review of their latest product after the first rebuild.

Similar Products Used: marzocchi dj1 rock shocks revelation
Rob   [Jul 13, 2003]
Strength:

Very stiff, travel adjustment, lightweight for 5" travel fork.

Harshness for lighter riders. This is an update post, read below. Price....ouch!

This is an update, I've had the fork since April now and have made some changes due to the harshness of the high speed dampening for my light weight (155#). A lot of people have complained about this and I've finally gotten the fork to where I am happy with it's performance under high speed compression dampening. Fox will not modify the dampener in the Talas, so the only choice was to run less air pressure and switch to thinner oil. I first switched to 5wt oil and only noticed a very minor improvement. Then I switched to some Spectro Golden 85/150 (2.5wt) oil. This really transformed the fork, it reacts much quicker to bumps both at low and high speeds. You can hear the fork working through the travel now, and it feels much more plush. I am running right about 50 psi, and am getting correct sag. I also didn't add the full 160cc's of oil that Fox recommends, I added about 145cc's and am now getting full travel from the fork.

For those of you lightweights out there who are struggling with this fork or who are considering a different fork, try the 2.5wt oil! It has made a night and day difference for me. The fork has worked flawlessly, it's very stiff and the steering is very precise. Travel adjustment is easy and a must in my opinion for trail riding. This fork is pretty damn expensive, but it's all worth it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a very versatile fork....get it!

Similar Products Used: Marz Z3, Psylo XC, JR.T
Lloyd   Weekend Warrior [Jul 13, 2003]
Strength:

Plush travel, adjustable, Weight

Price

Great travel with a great feel on the trail

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Marathon S
Greg TheTurtlenator   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, Tuneable, Relatively lightweight for suspension fork with 125 mm of travel. Fox headquarters is 45 minutes from my house.

Price --- Ouch !!! (House Payment or Fork?) Not user servicable.

Generally I do not like to be a beta tester for new products but this fork seems to be an exception to that rule. This is my first impression of the fork, I will follow up later after having used it for a while.

1) Very stiff up front; it felt like my old Amp F-3, a fork I loved. All steering input was precise. The lack of slop made for some interesting moments when small amounts of rider input made for large direction changes. It will take a bit of getting used to.

2) Lack of Brake Dive; I have never ridden a fork before that had almost zero brake dive when engaging heavy braking on high speed decents. It is an awesome feeling to effortlessly remain in the downhill position when braking hard on steep and fast downhill runs.

3) Lock out; at first I was sceptical of lock-out, however, this is well designed. It takes a quarter-turn to engage it and it cycles through quickly. It does make a big difference for long extended climbs. It has a funny feeling with a fully active rear with the front locked-out but I think its better to have the rear active for traction reasons. I liked the feel of climbing in lock-out mode.

4)Damping Controls; these work very well, the adjustability is very well done, the rebound damping is similar to oil or nitrogen charged cartridges. I was using my rebound turned all the way up and it greatly reduced "pogoing" on the front end through washboard and "braking potholes".

Fox advertises this fork to be not user servicable and should run 18 months before sending it in to an authorized service station for rebuild. Time will tell if this product will perform as advertised. It will be interesting to see how well the stanchions hold up after a season or two. I don't remember any of my "traditional" forks handling like this out of the box, I have givin up on Rock-Shox because of the noodle like feel, the Amp fork was wonderful but not user friendly, the White Brothers was easy to work on but needed continual maintenance and got sloppy towrds the end. Perhaps Fox has come up with the Holy Fork Grail!

Buy this if you are willing to put out for a really nice fork. Be sure that the frame you own is worthy of its stature.

Similar Products Used: RockShocks Mag-20 / 21, Amp Research F-3, White Brothers SC-92
bike writer   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2003]
Strength:

Wow! Stiff, smooth, adjustments work, everything about this fork makes it the best mtb suspension I've used in my entire 15 years of cycling.

Some might think the adjustments are mind boggling.
But the rebound, compression and lockout all do their job. And you do get what you pay for in the 125 talas rlc float.

The only reason I'm selling mine is because I won it in a contest, and my new bike already has one on it. It's an incredible fork that will make you realize how close it is to real motorcycle suspension, and how other products are not worth it.

Similar Products Used: everything.
Kevin Klobe   Racer [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Where do I start? This fork is the ultimate in riding pleasure. Everything is adjustable on the ride less the blowout threashold. You can set or change your dampening, rebound, travel, preload......You can even lock out the fork on the fly. I also believe there is a remote you can add on for the lock out, but I'm not positive. This fork not only rides and performes great, it also looks great!

Doesn't have a deer warning device built in....(That was a bad day).

If you want the best, get this fork. This baby eats the trail like it's candy. I haven't had any problems with climbing, it stays right on course where she gets pointed, and the downhills are oh so sweet. I haven't had a fork this sweet.........ever! I love the option of changing the travel length on the fly. Just give the knob a couple of clicks, compress a couple of times and presto your riding at a new travel length. Yes the entire fork is just that easy.

Similar Products Used: Manitou XVERT-R(100mm) & Marzocchi Z3 LT (100mm) & Girvin Elite cross-link(85mm)
RM   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

This fork is stiff! My bike now goes where I point it. Very tuneable ride. Less than 4 lbs. Linear air spring feels like a coil spring. Lockout blowoff threshhold adjustment. All adjustments except the blowoff threshhold are on top of the crown and in easy reach while you are riding. No plastic crap here; all metal controls and caps.

The lockout lever is just above the Compression damping adjustment knob and it's easy to turn chain damping when you lock/unlock the fork with gloves on. TALAS mechanism prohibits DIY routine maintenance (I think). The manual is not the best I have seen. Not sure if I actually get 40 mm of travel adjustment but it's darn close. The fork is so precise and controllable on my bike that I find myself riding faster than I normally would. This fork will get me killed.

After only six months of use I had to send my Duke back to Rockshox to repair some sloppy bushings. Since I didn't want to tie my bike up waiting for Rockshox to turn it around, I decided to bite the bullet and get a decent, more reliable fork for my Blur. A friend let me try his Float-equipped Blur and that sold me on the spot.

My LBS did not have any Floats in stock but they gave me a great price on a TALAS RLC. My first choice would have been a Float RL or TALAS RL, but the compression damping feature of the RLC is nice to have.

It took me about 30 minutes to get it performing real well on the trail. I just need to do a little more experimenting with the air pressure. Being an XC rider, I need to get used to having 125 mm of travel on the downhills. Until then, I'll just keep it somewhere around a more familiar 100 mm.

There was a little stiction when I first began to ride but after about 50 miles it's barely noticeable.

Far and away this is the best fork on the market today for serious riding. No doubt that there are lighter forks for the racing crowd but for the 4-5 races I do each year as compared to the thousands of trail riding miles I do, this fork suits my needs just fine. As I said in the "Product Strengths" section above, this fork is stiff. No wandering or vague steering; just point it where you want to go and enjoy the ride.

For my inaugural ride I took it up on San Juan Trail which is a fairly technical stretch of SoCal singletrack with about 2,500 ft of uphill befdore you get to do it in reverse. It climbed great with the lockout engaged and descended better than anything I have ever ridden. If you own a Blur, this fork seems to be tailor made for it. It really balanced the suspension out front-to-back.

I put the TALAS on a digital scale and it weighed one more ounce than my 100 mm Duke SL (3lbs 10 oz vs 3 lbs 9 oz both with cut steerers).

I have less than 100 miles on it so far so I'll post another review once I get some more miles cranked on it. If you can afford it, go for this fork. Even at its current price level, there isn't a better fork out there at any pricepoint. Five chilis go to Fox. Now don't go and disappoint me!

Similar Products Used: There's nothing else in its class except a Fox Float or Vanilla, but if I must: Rockshox Duke, Manitou Black, Marzocchi.
Nick   Weekend Warrior [Sep 01, 2003]
Strength:

Plush, Smooth, STIFF, Light, Versitile, Strong, Quality

using the lock out can change the compression settings (especially when wearing gloves)

These forks are absolutely sweet! I ride everything from cross country to free ride to urban assault and these forks take it all. Travel adjustment takes only a matter of seconds even on the fly, from tight quick singletrack to a flight of stairs in a twist. All the nobs are quality machined alluminum (no cheap plastics) and I found them to be very exact and easy to use. I have yet to come accross any problems in three mounths of frequent, hard riding. Sounds like quality control may be an issue from previous reviews. The lock out and blow-off work beautifull and, when the blow-off is set to the lowest setting, can actually act as a stable platform fork. If your not carefull, you can turn the compression nob with your finger at the same as engaging/disengaging lockout, but i never found this to be an issue. 32mm stanchions means stiff as hell. They soak up everything from small roots and inconsistancies in trail to large drops (limited only by my hardtail). The perfect fork for all-mountain or one-bike-does-all applications.

Similar Products Used: Noleen Mega Air, RS Indy, Judy, Manitou Magnum, Skarab
Russell   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

Strong, Plush travel, reasonably light, accurate steering, well made, looks really good on my blue Ellsworth Truth, reasonably light ( 3.9 lbs. on my brewing scale ).

Slight amount of fore to aft flex which isn't noticeble when riding, compression ring sometimes turns when using turning the lock out lever.

This really is a great fork! Everything that the fork can do is adjustable. You'll probably play around with the adjustments at first then become more of a set it and forget it type of rider if you're like me. The 80mm setting is effective for the climbs and you may want to try the talus trick which is to open up the blowoff threshold knob all the way then lock out the fork. What this does is turn the fork into a stable platform type of suspension however, the fork is not quite as plush, active, nor does it move through it's entire range of travel in this mode. I prefer to basically downhill in the 125mm mode then go to 80 for serious climbs or use 100mm for everything when the ride involves alot of up and down. Beware all you cross country types or serious trail riders, bolting on a fork with this much travel will cause your bike to lose a little climbing prowess, but then again you can't have everything. Is it worth it? Most definately! Fox may have designed this for freeriding but it is perfect for trailriding. You'll go faster, hit objects you used to avoid just because you can, descend into rock gardens and shutes with more confidence and agression because you know the fork can handle it.It simply works great. Probably will be my last fork, at least for this bike. By the way I installed it knowing full well that the Ellsworth warranty would be voided because the Truth is only designed for a 100mm fork. Unless your bike is designed for 125mm or greater you'll find that your head tube and bottom bracket will be elevated and your head tube angle will be slacker than before and these are all bonuses in my opinion. I'll report back after three months and more miles of riding. These forks are very difficult to get a hold of and they are an expensive way to bolt on your front wheel. Be patient and shop around, it's worth it. These babies are better than anything else out there.

Similar Products Used: Answer Manitou, Cannondale Headshock, White Bros scu 92
Aaron   Racer [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

The same smooth travel, no matter what the length. Precision steering. Amount of travel. Huge amount of adjustment means you can fine tune it. Very cool inflation cap.

Weight? Definitely cost. Knob positioning. Huge amount of adjustment means you are never done fine tuning it.

It seems like there are two kinds of Talases- ones that blow up coming out of the box and ones that don't. For three months I have been making sure which category mine falls under. I beat the snot out of it and it laughed at me. Last Sunday was 42 miles of Rage in the Sage. This year it rained, hailed and sleeted which meant 42 miles of corrosive sand and clay. It finished off my disc brake pads and rear shock, bent my derailleur hanger and left me wimpering. But not the fork.

This is the smoothest fork out there- the travel decides how much bump you can go over and how quickly you can steer but has no effect on the compression at all. There is no air leakage and all the knobs seem to do what they are supposed to do. There is a little annoyance factor with the lockout/compression adjustment because when you turn the lockout on, the compression dial turns a little too. When you take the lockout off, the compression returns to normal. Not a big deal since I weigh 150 lbs and have it turned all the way down anyway.

I typically do not run the fork at more then about 105 mm because of how the bike handles- being a xc geek, I like a pretty twitchy ride and tend to avoid anything more than three feet tall. But, the hills around us are big enough that it makes sense to have all the travel, going up and coming down. My bike can handle the tightest up trail and twistiest cross trail in 85 mm and in seconds can go pounding down the rockiest descent- all without dismounting. Once you get all the adjustments dialed in, the fork reacts predictably no matter what travel it's in- and with the adjustments, you really can fine tune it to whatever you want.

The price of this fork is obscene but if you get one that makes it out of the shop in one piece, you won't be sorry that you raided you kid's college fund. I bought this fork to replace my Black because I wanted something that would excel at epic rides and races, not just handle them. So far so good. Later this summer, we head to Canada for the Transrockies so expect another report then.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Black Elite 80-100 but...
Lots of other non convertible forks.