Fox Shox Float 100RLC 2003 Front Shocks

rebound adjustment
compression lock-out
compression adjustment

Tom Watlington   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent fork. Reasonable weight with excellent rigidity yet a plush ride.

I'd like to encourage everyone to treat these reviews seriously. I have relied on them many times for buying decisions as have many others. It accomplishes little to post a gripe on 3 different versions of the same model as the person recently did on the FOX 100. Its too bad the fork leaked. Quality control is never perfect. My experience is that the fork is reliable and performs extremely well.

Similar Products Used: RS and Marzocchi (another excellent product)
c. j.   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2003]
Strength:

stiff and plush

customer service

The fork is a great fork but I have had a problem with the fork leaking oil. I'm writing this to tell people considering to buy a fox fork that they are terrible with their warranty stuff. I actually own a Fox RLC and it leaks like the Titanic. They told me it should have some oil around the outside seal. It is so bad that after one ride it has oil running down the leg. They said it should be like that even though the local bike shop disagrees. Sent back twice with little change and even charged for the work the last time. Roaring Mouse rules b/c they said "No Charge". Basically Fox has crapped on my ice cream and called it sprinkles. Thanks you Beotches. I recommend staying away from the oil/air forks.

joe therider   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2003]
Strength:

very plush, stiff, knobs are well designed and sturdy, holds air good sofar,looks good too i guess.

expensive, i never recieved a shock pump,( not the fault of fox) finish rubs off and scratches very easily, i hate lock out but wanted campression adjustments, lockout is a waste of my time(yes i do plenty of climbing, no i dont ride on the street).

definatly the best i have ever used, 6 months is an early review for me, but the product is definatly worth risking my good name and giving them the benifiet of a doubt on durability, rest assured if it craps out on me...like today...or in the neat future, i will post again, and it will be brutal.

Similar Products Used: sid, marzocchi, headshock for one ride, it sucked!
Evren Seven   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

the adjustments are awesome, the lockout is clutch... comes with a HP pump. it just feels really sweet. I upgraded from the duke C that comes standard on the GT idrive 1.0 and it takes the bike to the next level. Landings feel like foam. plus, it looks really cool.

Fox parts are hard to get a hold of, but Rob at calabazas cyclery hooked it up and makes sure you get customer support. also, I wish they made the lockout knob longer because you end up softening your compression adjust when you unlock it, because the knobs are right on top of each other.

get this fork and slap it on your bike. Chances are you've already spent 4 figures on your hobby might as well splurge a little more and really enjoy it.

Similar Products Used: RockShox Duke C... C for Crap
George Javier   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, easy to use and adjust, sooooo many different settings for all types of riding.

none...at this price, there shouldn't be any!

What a GREAT shock...simply the BEST.

Similar Products Used: rock shox sid xc, manitou black
Warren   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2003]
Strength:

Dead on suspension for ANY mountain bike. The thicker stanction tubes, and the super stiff brake arch make for a sweet handling fork. The amount of adjustment makes you able to tune this thing to the en'th degree. Take your time setting it up and you'll be rewarded. Low air pressure saves the seals, and the rebound and compression damping are spot on. Fox is now the suspension company that everyone else is chasing.

Are you serious?

Fox is on the money. My previous favorite fork had been a 2001 Marzocchi X-Fly 80, but not anymore. If your looking for an air fork buy this one! Sure, the SID is lighter but does not work nearly as well, especially for bigger guys.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi X-Fly 80, Manitou Black Elite, Marzocchi Marathon.
Add   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2004]
Strength:

Plush,confidice inspiring,adjustability.

It failed once. Pissed oil everywhere and the dampning was gone.

The fork TOTALY ROCKS. I had an issue with Fox customer service and bashed Fox for their customer service ( May or June of last year). Fox came through and I am again very, very happy with their product. MTBR, WHAT HAPPENED TO MY NEGATIVE REVIEW? Seems it's gone. Makes me wonder about this sites credibility.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox, Manitou
SingleTrackHound   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2003]
Strength:

Stiffness, plushness, damping feel, quality parts, durability, & customer service.

Low speed compression adjustment's effectiveness, lock out lever changes low speed compression setting, high speed compression spike at my 155lb body weight, & price.

Best fork I ever used. Love the plushness, damping, stiffness, and durability. I used it for one year and few months and not a single issue. Just had a local shop replace the oil few months ago for P.M. but that's it. It does have a high speed compression spike but I've heard that changing the oil to 2.5 or 5 weight will solve that issue; heavier riders are fine with OEM oil. Low speed compression adjustment is not noticeable. To use the full range of the travel, set the air pressure 10% less than what Fox recommends; otherwise, it never uses the full range and doesn't feel supple on small stuff. Customer service is great too; I don't know why other reviewers had bad experience. Maybe you shouldn't call them on Monday. Best fork I ever used and Rock shox don't compare. If this fork does eventually wear out, even Maytag does at some point, I will try Talas RLC since it has more adjustability and I've been told that compression adjustment is more noticeable.

Similar Products Used: Rock shox Psylo Race and SL.
mark   Cross Country Rider [Jan 20, 2004]
Strength:

it goes where you point it without deflection, adjustable and supple

air leak, knob failures, reliability, serviceability and Fox service dept's attitudes.

When this fork works right, its the best all round fork I've ridden since suspension forks came out - bar none. It holds the line you want and sucks up the rough and not so rough stuff all at the same time. BUT... the fork slowly leaked air right out of the box (~ 4 psi/day) in 02'. This past summer it worked great for only a short time before the lockout and then the rebound adjustments quite working. Then the entire rebound knob and rod came FLYING out along with the oil in the leg which got all over me! That repair cost me $$$ again. Nice touchs for a $600+ fork and from a company that touts realibility. I've sent letters to Fox explaining my frustrations and issues and hoping for some resolution but no response. Bottom line: best fork for serious single track attack work - when its working!

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox's, Marz. X-Fly and Z1 Bomber
Mark Young   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2003]
Strength:

No flex in bumbs or corners
Very adjustable
Strong

Price

Fox did a great job with these forks. Mine survived, without a scratch or bend, a crash which totally destroyed the front rim. The crash was a result of a 4-5 foot drop at about 27 mph. Besides breaking the rim, blowing a tire and tube, and breaking a helmet in four places. Did not do my neck or shoulder any good either. I forgot I was riding my new Blur and not my much heavier Bullit.

Steering is excellent, even for a 215 lb 6'2" rider on an extra large frame. No flex or wander even on rough terrain

response to both small stutter bumps and larger drop type ledges is better than any others I have tried.

After trying out all the others the Fox was head and shoulders above the rest of the field. I would reccomend them to anyone looking for a cross country fork that can smooth out the bumps and rail the corners.