Fox Shox Float 100RL 2003 Front Shocks

rebound adjustment
compression lock-out

[Jul 01, 2003]
Ted

Strength:

This fork is bulletproof. I have had it for about 5 days now and I have worked it over. I have put it through a rigorous amount of torture and it comes out shining everytime. The 100mm of travel allows for some big hit while the air assist keeps the front wheel on the ground so that you can just bend through turns. This is the best front fork I have used!!!

The quick-release knob on my Specialized Stumpjumper Comp FSR is hard to use because of the large stantion tubes. But it is definately something that I can live with!!!

The bottom line is that this fork is the best fork that I have ever ridden on. And if you are in the market for a new front fork and can shell out the cash for this one then do it. Don't even think about it!!! You will not be disappointed. I haven't been!!!

Manitou Axel and Rock Shox Pilot and Judy

[Sep 02, 2003]
Grabby McCrotch

Strength:

Super high quality parts and construction.
Stiff enough for the big and tall guys.
Install and forget.
Does not leak air or oil.

Very pricey, but after having RS and Answers fail on me, it's not that big of a deal.
Low availability... had to wait a while for mine to come in.

Real riders by now have realized that Rock Shox are pretty pieces of crap and that Answers are good-intentioned losers. Marzocchis came close to being the real deal. Fox is the one brand you should get if you are ready to be serious about riding better.

Manitou Mach 3, Mach 4, Rock Shox Judy, Marzocchi Atom Bombs

[May 25, 2003]
jorge pérez pérez

Strength:

I perceive no commission from Fox, but what I´ve felt with this fork are just strengths. I also want to be critical, but I swear I can´t. This fork is superb in all senses.

As you have read before, is quite difficult to find one, but I´ll try hard.
-Just a colour is available, and that can change your bike appearance.
-Maybe weighty? probably yes if you´re racing, but the confort you get make the weight dissapear.
-When using the lock-out, touching the rebound is possible. Fox might work on it separating a little bit more the lock-out to the rebound adjust.
-Very expensive in Europe (at least a 25% more than in USA)

Just a few words to define the bottom line: plush, plush and plush. Rigidity and high control at medium/high speed. Just the best riding quality, ends and maintenance free nowadays. I repeat: this fork rocks. Other brands just have to learn again how to conceive their new forks. WE WANT INTERNAL METALIC PARTS!!! (I hope RS and Manitou listen to this). Summing up, THE BEST I EVER HAD.

I´m so sorry for just 2 chilis in value rating, but FOX might think in rounded cyclist and their income (just racers and few rich ones can afford them and that´s a mess). Of course I know the high quality they give to each product, but it´s still abusing. In Spain this fork cost $1000.
Of course, the overall rating definetely change: 5 chilis for the best fork ever made (including the other float models and new F80´s). If you have not tried a fork like these... what are you waiting for? If you cannot afford one of these, don´t try them because you will not try nothing appart from this. Rock Shox and Manitou are just secondary actors.

ROCK SHOX JUDY SL 96, BALLISTIC, ROCK SHOX SID SL 2001, MARZOCCHI MXC_ECC 2002, ROCK SHOX INDY XC, ROCK SHOX JUDY TT (THIS ONE IS A MESS...)

[Sep 08, 2007]
Deni Blaisch

Strength:

When working this shock has been great

This shock has blown out 4 times since I bought it in 2003. I'm missing out on some good riding.

My shock is back in the shop again. It's September and the weather is awesome. Usually snows by mid October here. My old bike didn't have a shock, it never broke down, I know the ride wasn't as smooth but not riding sucks.

[Nov 30, 2003]
mark westwick

Strength:

Stiff, plush, lightweight, and durable.

This is the first air fork I have tried. It does what FOX says it will and more. I have tried many other forks and decided to go with a Manitou black on my new Blur -- that was a mistake. After a few rides I decided to switch it to the FOX Float 100rl, which was the fork my LBS recomended for the frame, and it's a night and day difference. This fork holds my weight 225lb and works like a dream. There have been no problems associated with the Fox fork and I am sold on it. This is the first full suspension bike that I feel is dialed in for my height and weight and the FOX Float 100rl shock makes the XC ride that much better -- even though I have only ridden the shock on around 15 rides I would recommend it to anyone.

Rockshox, Marzocchi, Manitou

[Nov 16, 2003]
Lee Porter

Strength:

Strong, very lightweight, durable, very plush and look sweet.

Rebound control knob turns when you use the lockout feature.

Price is in £. As I have only used cheap forks in comparison all I can do is compare usage to my mate with his forks. We got into bikes at about the same time, where he has tried three types of Marzocchi and a pair of Manitou and I am still going strong on the Fox. I am not a light rider yet these forks cope with pretty big drops (6') easily, don't tell Fox. I have kicked the crap out of them and apart from a few scratches there is nothing at all wrong. Apart from cleaning I have not had to do anything to them from new, low maintenance, perfect. These forks are also so light for their strength. As for being smooth, these forks are that damn plush, no springs creaking and knocking, so nice. If you want strength without the weight and a long term investment you cant go wrong. Will do anything from cross country to freeride. Has to be one of the best forks on the maket. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

None, these are that good I havent had to look elswhere.

[Oct 06, 2003]
Carl Sessler

This fork is the all-round best I have ever ridden on, and I have never had a smoother ride.
During this summer I made a switch from my old fork to this new Fox Float 100RL and the difference that I noticed was hard to believe. They outperform any fork that I have ridden on in the past. They work great on all kinds of terrain, they are lightweight, durable, and ready for whatever you throw at them.
I mean I’ve taken my bike to some pretty sketchy riding where the trail is pretty steep, with just rocks everywhere, and really no where to stop, but I must say those shocks held their ground and tore right through that stuff. The first time I rode this particularly steep trail with those new shocks, I was amazed at how well they really worked, and found my self going just a little but faster down that trail than before. I said right then “O man these are great!”
Another good feature I like about these shocks is the compression lockout switch, which I didn’t like at first, but as I started to use it more and more I realized it’s the best for the hills, and stops that annoying rocking up and down of the shock wile climbing.
The rebound adjustment is also a nice feature for fine-tuning the fork. It took me a couple days of ridding to fine tune the rebound adjustment, but once you get it to a point that you like, it's great.
If your looking for performance and durability on all areas of mountain biking you cant go wrong with a pair of these shocks. They take the bumps and rocks like nothing and are always ready for whatever’s next.

“You haven’t done it until you’ve done it on a pair of Fox Forx.”

Rock shock Judy XC, 1999 Manitou Spyder

[Apr 09, 2004]
James Brown

Strength:

Very plush for air, lockout is handy for long climbs.

Weak, weak, weak, crown.

This fork sucks. I have had the steerer/crown/stantion assembly replaced 4 times due to a loose left stantion. All the work was done by Fox so that meant riding a loaner fork for 2-3 weeks while mine was getting fixed, kudos' to Russ Hay for giving me a loaner each time. I ride aggressive XC just what the bike was designed for, unfortunately this fork is out of this league. Pure XC and no 3' drops you'll be fine. To supply a bike to be sold in BC with this fork is asking for trouble, make sure you buy from a kick ass shop so they'll stand behind you when the creaking starts. I'm now riding a Marzocchi FR SL as a loaner and may just end up with one and it really feels nice. No noise either, sweet!

[Apr 11, 2003]
Wingsprint

Strength:

Great fork. Wow, I have been very impressed with how smooth the action is. The lock out is easy to reach. The forks are fairly light, but are bomb proof. They are built like you could bolt them on your YZ 125.

None.

If you look at all of the manufatures building forks for mountain bikes Fox has much more experience in building suspensions for just about anything with wheels. That experience shows, these are great forks.

SID.

[Jun 19, 2006]
Saltamonte

Strength:

Love everything about it so far. After my previous bike this entire machine is heaven on wheels.

Nothing yet...

For anyone who, like me, might be a novice biker at best, throw away that bargain basement beginner clunker you're on now and treat yourself. After fighting through my first trip to Bar H on a K2 Pro Zed hardtail looking at my buddie's tire tracks for two days I decided to scrap the kid stuff and move up to a real bike. Two weeks later, thirty hours on-line product reviews, seven bike shops over a twenty five mile radius, six punk teenage bike shop employees, two actual knowledgable punk teenage bike shop employees and my new credit card led me to the Specialized Stumpjumper. I'm doing things on this ride that would have certainly gotten me killed or horribly maimed on that K2. For you riders like me a new bike like this might just be that confidence booster you've been loking for.

K2 Zed