Trek 800 Sport 2002 Hardtail

Trek 800 Sport 2002 Hardtail

[Apr 09, 2017]
Sandra Burgess

Strength:

It's a work horse for me. Lightweight and easy to handle. Smooth ride. I was just given this bike to rep!ace my Huffy and I've never been happier.

No shocks and sometimes the jarring makes it slip gears.

AWESOME machine

[Jul 30, 2013]
samuel

Strength:

Brilliant bike, very enjoyable to ride, great off road despite not having a suspension, hasn't let me down. Great frame

No suspension so it cant handle everything, Quite heavy

Good fun bike, suitable for single track and can take quite a beating for a bike with no suspension, overall brilliant :)

[Mar 15, 2013]
Gerardo Tamayo

Strength:

Its an amazing bike, I've had it for over 15 years and its still the envy of all my friends. Its durable, reliable and surprisingly light for a bike of it's characteristics.

I think the only weakness is that it doesn't have disk brakes, but i will install a pair soon, also the front suspension is a bit old and i can't find one that fits.

I love my Trek 800 and I'd never trade it for anything

[Jan 05, 2013]
Jacob Martin

Strength:

It is a very durable bike. Good frame.

Had no suspension and the gears broke after a couple runs on terrain.

Overall this is a great bike to own. It handles very well although I am thinking about getting suspension and adding some new gears. Also thinking about putting on some disk breaks.

[Jun 11, 2012]
Ted Starkey

Strength:

Bias alert. I'm attached to this 1995 acquisition. Have put thousands of mile on it, off road and on. Swap out rough treads for smooth and do the MS 150 out of Cranberry PA. Reliable shifters. All shifters need adjustment from now and then, though. Old green is reliable. Same crankset, Same cogset. Upgraded to RockShox Judy forks. After market handlebars with a slight rise. It's built to my specs but the frame and drive train just keep on going.

Weight. But weight translates to strength in this frame. I am upgrading the original Shimano shifters because after sixteen years they are stress cracking.

Great bike. Gonna pass this one on to a grandson.

[Jan 08, 2012]
apd

Strength:

Frame strength, durability

heavy, quality of wheels

This bike is at least fifteen years old. It suffered a lot of neglect but is still rideable. It makes for a great rebuild, especially into single speed with semi-horizontal drop outs. The back wheel can no longer effectively be trued, but with proper maintenance this bike might have still had another 20+ years of life left in it.

1996 schwinn frontier

[May 09, 2011]
Jim

Strength:

This 1998 Trek 800 is a strong, easily modified cho-moly frame. When purchase used, and in original condition they'll be without suspension, and usually very inexpensively. This fact is a treasure by itself because of it's potentual in the relm of rebuild.

Weight, a Trek 800 is cho-moly after all. but it's still a light-weighter compared to department store bikes.

I've riden Trek 800's in their original condition they are great bikes. and of course I love building as well as riding, so the 1998 Trek 800 is the best of both worlds. It's ablities as it was built and it's posiblities for low buck modifications, and upgrades, make the 1998 Trek 800 a great bike for just about every kind of rider at evry kind of budget, The 800 that I just descibed was complete for about $500 bucks, remember though I did all the labor myself

Iron Horse, Trek820

[Mar 01, 2009]
jonathan

Strength:

its a fast sturdy bike perfect for a guy with a heavy 230 frame like myself.

nothing lasts forever as this one, the gears will probably go first and as always rims will bend if you dont keep watching over the spokes at all times (tru the spokes thoroughly every so often)

I was walking along in iowa city today after having a free meal at the salvation army, on the way to that meal I found a $20 bill!, afterwards like I said, I was walking along and in the back of Geoff's cyclery were these bikes just sitting out, so I inquired about them and they said as far as we know they are just up for grabs!?!?, this bike is as new, absolutely new!, everything is brand new condition and it will give me years of transportation as the case is that I never have a car! Thank You Lord!, I really mean that, always give thanks to the Lord, he was thinking of me as I was thinking of him.

I just bought a trek bike less than two years ago and took it down to florida and did that tour, wound up pawning that for 25 bucks when it was 250 brand new, it was a good road bike with those larger wheels, I mean they were thin road bike tires but larger all together than normal wheels by a slight margin.

[Jul 24, 2007]

Strength:

Indestructible! I picked up this '89 800 and I love it. This thing has no shocks and takes a jarring over a lot of broken pavement and concrete, and the frame is completely solid. I really like the riding position--it's hunched over and aerodynamic like a road bike

Front derailer; it doesn't have a big enough range to go among all three front gears, so it rubs against the chain in the lowest and highest front gears. It is also incredibly jarring over bumps, but I spend about half my time standing up, so it doesn't bother me much. The tires are also knobby and handle terribly on gravel and pavement. I'm going to upgrade them

The frame is great (if heavy), and I bet it'll last 20 years. It is a bit heavy, however. I always ride in top gear (48/14), and I'm always drenched in sweat. The extra few pounds just make it a bit more challenging. I've gotten loads of compliments on it, as it's quite handsome, and I'd definitely recommend one.

I also have an '05 Trek 7200, and I prefer the 800. The main reason is that I do a lot of standing up pedaling, during which the 7200's suspension bounces like a pogo stick.

[Mar 30, 2006]
Devin Anders

Strength:

The body and tires.

Bottom bracket

I ride all the time and do work on bikes. I allso ride pedi-cabs, this bike lasted 3 years and the only thing that broke after all that time was the bottom bracket. I'd say this is the best bike I have ever seen. I have even wrecked it ( several times) and it was not dameged even if I was.