Trek 6500 2002 Hardtail

Foxtower   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2010]
Strength:

Solid, very light aluminum (rust free) frame frame.
Hydraulic brakes don't freeze in the winter.
Dependable and durable and -- except for some low-grade components -- excellent quality.

The base-level Deore components are high maintenance and are out of place on this otherwise durable, high-quality product. The low-end Deore front derailleur and rear hub are the only parts that have failed on this intermediate-level bike. I have switched them out for XT wherever possible.
Terribly uncomfortable seat!

Great value for money.
A quality workhorse for weekend warriors and those who need a dependable commuter.
For the price, I would have liked XT components across the board.
Once the components have been upgraded, this bike has been a solid responsive performer in all kinds of conditions. This bike is my daily driver in a city of climatic extremes. It gets as hot as +40C (104F) to -40C (-40F).
I would recommend this bike to anyone, except the high-end racing. For entry-level racers, you have to up grade the components.
C.

Similar Products Used: None.
Jr   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2003]
Strength:

Great Frame that is light,strong,rigid and A1 paint.

Hard Seat,Manitou Fork to soft,(I Weigh 225),Brakes sorta cheap looking but work fine.

This was my first true Mt Bike,my 13 yr old son has a 4300,as I upgrade my 6500 I am installing the old parts onto his bike,I would recommend the 6500 to anyone looking for a good intermediate hardtail mtb,has a great frame worthy of upgrades,you will need to replace the seat it is like a rock. If you weigh over 170 install a heavier fork.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300
Ben Pignatelli   Downhiller [Apr 03, 2006]
Strength:

Great front suspension bike. Tough as nails. Will take you anywhere if you're up to the challenge.
Bontrager design.

a hardtail

If you're looking for a XC bike that can do anything, this is it. This bike took me from a beginer at Arcata's Community Forest to a downhiller on all of South Tahoe's offerings.

Never had a problem with the frame, even with the wicked abuse I offered.
The bike is great for a lightweight cross-country, and offered me one last summer on hardcore downhills.

Carl Vella   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2007]
Strength:

Durable (not one major repair in 7yrs, light (only 26.5 lbs, tossible, great shifting, decent braking.

Pedals like most bikes in this price range.

Purchased this bike in 2001 and its been 7 years and the only thing I've had to repair is the chain. This bike is extremely durable, very light (26.5 lbs)which makes it great for climbing. The frame quality is very high, welds are clean and strong, one of the few frames Made in USA. I'd definetly have no regrets and I am happy with my purchase.

2ndsight pullins   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2002]
Strength:

Light and Strong Frame,Appropriate components,excellent upgradeable package.

GoD..What was Trek thinkin' in the regaurds to the Manitou Six Forks????????GEEEZZ Soo Mushy...Cotton balls are STIFF...compared. Also rear Derailer(LX) is a constant TWeeK Mongroul..Seek the XT or Sram..Changed seat(personal pref)as well.

Come to San Angelo,Texas..Trek 6500 A great Bike for This Level and Creativity towards higher end..Just this side of Advanced/ handles excellent with mix Terrain,(SASP-San Angelo State Park) Worth the Trip****

Similar Products Used: Trek 4500,aggrss 1.0,Jamis Eureka.
Aaron Hudacky   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2002]
Strength:

Adjustable compression and rebound at low price, quick climber, comfortable geometry, nice paint, American made frame.

Bottom bracket has developed creaks yet to be fixed and the SRAM chain has broken twice in about 750 miles and the Pro Max V-Brakes are weak and have a cheap feel, and coil sprung fork bottoms out more than I'd like.

This bike has been great for me. I use it to commute during the week and for trails on the weekend, and it is efficient in both situations. I generally ride about 100 miles a week and I never have any pain or fatigue from this bike. The adjustability of the front fork allows for a wide range of settings and although it bottoms out sometimes, the adjustability helps keep the bike efficient in various situations. The biggest disappointment has been the Sram chain. It's broken twice in a short time and it doesn't shift as smoothly as my '91 Deore DX equipped Paramount... with an 11 year technology advantage it should. Overall the problems I've had are minor and I'm very happy with my bike. I'd recommend it for anyone getting into mountain biking or who has been riding a rigid bike and is looking for their first bike with front suspension. This bike seems like it will be worth upgrading over time as the frame is stiff yet decent riding, and the paint is very nice, especially this price point.

Charles   Weekend Warrior [Oct 16, 2006]
Strength:

Frame build quality and rigidity, good component package for the price, great paint job.

Stock Bontrager seat is brutal. Bottom bracket didn't last long.

Good value for the price, especially the rock solid frame.

Similar Products Used: Trek 930, Cannondale M600
Rob Maxwell   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2002]
Strength:

Great frame, good drivetrain

Squishy fork

This bike is a great deal. I ride a lot and don't do enough maintenance on it but it still rides great. Other than the fork I have had no problems with it. Great bike for begginers and intermediate riders. I give it four Flamin' Chilis

Similar Products Used: None
evosteve   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2007]
Strength:

Good price, strong and light. Can handle about anything I dish out. Very cool orange/black paint job for 2006.

Seat. If you get this bike, change out the seat right away

Good all around bike. I'm a recreational weekend rider but put this bike through a lot. I have yet to break any of the stock components on it. For the money paid, I couldn't ask for anything more.