Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Pro 2002 Hardtail

Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Pro 2002 Hardtail

[Oct 21, 2008]
mfDB

Strength:

Check out the date of this review...6 years after this bike was made. I bought it in 2003. Strong, fast, reliable. Great in singletrack, great at climbing.

Not much. It's noisy. This bike is not made for super steep west coast stuff, but then no x-country bike is.

I've replaced a lot on this bike, mainly the Specialized components and the wheels (its been 6 years), but I've ridden this bike all over the country on all types of trails. I've been riding for 18 years and this is by far my favorite hard tail x-country bike. The SID still works like a charm with thousnds of miles and only 1 full Rock shox overhaul, and a few oil changes. If you see one of these used and want a sweet addition to your family - get it....

Cannondales, Giants, other Stumpjumpers, Azonic Steelhead,

[Dec 17, 2001]
Peter Lopez

Strength:

LIGHT! It is so very light and tight. The whole drive train system feels so dialed in that with every pedal stroke you can feel all of your power going into your forward motion.

The SID fork isn't hardy enough. I immediately swapped it out for a Marzocchi Atom Race.

I haven't ridden it long enough to know the whole story, what I would say for now is: dialed in for speed, can leap up on almost anything, and for the few big drops I've been able to do so far it has held up really well (In other words it is also really stong)
This bike is for a racer as is, but if you beef up the front suspension, put on wider more mud capable tires it can be a cross country machine.
It is not cheap, but if you look into the specs, the Pro is definetely worth it over the Sport, but not so for the straight up Stumpjumper, that is a good deal for what your paying.

[Feb 02, 2002]
mark

Strength:

good frame, nice and light

strong arm II cranks are flexy and weak...

this bike is awsome after exchanging the seat post, stem, and handle bars "replaced with monkey light XC", cranks, and stock tires it weighs in at 22LBS!
you can make do with the stock components however, i suggest you get rid of the specialized strong arm II cranks right away! there not worth the $$ or headache.

xt cranks, race face LP's

[Sep 10, 2002]
Mark

Strength:

Let's start with the heart of the bike, el frame. I must say I love the geometry, the harder you push the bike the better it responds. The stock wheelset is fine for expert racing unless you are a total weight weenie. Most of the stock components are fine, brakes are very nice.

Prior to buying this make sure the shop swaps the cranks! The stock cranks felt like wet noodles under my legs (158 lb. expert rider) Come on, on this caliber of a bike I expect more. I swapped for some 2002 XT's and love them. Next, the 2002 SID'S are terrible, I blew 2 seals in 3 weeks, I am currently waiting for my 2003 SID replacement from Rock Shox.

Lastly, the stock tires are the worst I have ever used, only use them for road training.

Sweet ride after some modifications, once I get the 2003 SID I will be back to a light weight XC machine. I currently have a zoch' on it so that added about 1.5 lbs.

GT Zaskar, K2 Zed Team

[Oct 18, 2002]
Ian

Strength:

everthing

cranks suck

this is the fastest race bike. It is so stiff it rips through anthing with ease

[Apr 04, 2003]
Aubrey Daniels

Strength:

Super light. Acelerates like no other stock bike at this price range.

Has a few cheap parts to swap out.

I don't think Specialized makes a stumpjumper pro anymore, and that's too bad. I tested out a lot of bikes before I got this one, and it was hands-down the best. Mavic 517s are really light, just try to get a 36 hole in the back. You can drop half a pound by upgrading your rear hub since it's just a Deore. The Ritchey seatpost sucks and will keep moving your seat more and more nose-up. The fork is light, but there are definately better handling forks. I got mine on clearance, and I'm really glad I did. At 1800 I would be less enthusiastic about it, but for what I paid, this bike is excellent.

[Oct 29, 2002]
Dude

Strength:

THIS BIKE KICKS ASS!!! so light and such good specs!!

Stock fork weak for anything more than a curb, rear tire clearance

This bike is so responsive it isn't funny!!! It accelerates like a ferrari on steroids. Sure the S-Works stuff isn't great but I have a fox fork! HAHAHAHA 125mm of buttery smooth all american machined metal!!! I got a wicked deal on this bike!!! $1475 with the fox fork!!!! I upgraded for only $75!! Wheel Works rules!!!! they match prices and everything!!!

2003 raleigh M50

[Dec 29, 2002]
HG GH

Strength:

stiffness, quality, beauty

some sqeaking in seatpost

This bike was an odd story because I got it in 2001 when the S-Works was still an M4. I gave the guy notice a couple months early when I was going to buy it and I am pretty sure that he changed out some stuff such as the tires to something that he knew I used more than the Rockster tire. This bike is just absolutly amazing. A hardtail spec'd this well and this stiff for $1200 is unbelievable. The wheels on this bike are great, extremely low weight, beautiful performer. I rode this bike on every kind of trail and every kind of race you can imagine, and my only complaint that I could ever come up with is how stiff it was after riding FS for two years. SID XC is not the stiffest fork ever, but you have to make compromises and the stiff front hub made up for it. I still intend to ride a SID for the rest of eternity. Kudos to Specialized

everything

[May 15, 2002]
Rob

Strength:

Very Light
Frame feels great
Superb SID SL Forks - Lockout quick + easy to use on the fly, great adjustability and most of all plush and responsive out on the trail.
Well specced Wheels + Brakes
Looks the part

Frame and Forks flex, flex ,flex - the penalty you pay to save weight
Have reservations about cost-cutting in-house seat-post, stem and bars and especially chainset...
Not impressed with headset
Bars light, but too short - would replace with a long riser bar
Not amazing value - would not have considered at full retail price.

Very fast bike - almost rides itself!

I Swapped the wheels and brakes immediately, so don't know the full story, but with my current setup the bike works amazingly. However, the SID SLs are extremely flexy and the disc brakes magnify greatly how this influences the performance of the bike under breaking. I have also noticed that the frame flexes laterally to such a degree that the chain rubs the front mech when very high loads are applied to the pedals - having said this, it does not affect the performance of the bike in any significant way and the frame feels great and stiff out on the trail...

Overall, a great bike that can probably take a good beating and yet still be light enough to win races... If you're going to race, get it - but if you're not then you don't need it - sacrifice a few pounds of weight and get a bike with a stiffer frame and forks.

But...
Specialized have once again employed their strategy (most evident on cheaper bikes) of attracting naive customers by putting high spec derailleurs, forks, wheels and brakes and less impressive minor components on the bikes on the basis that most people won't look at the whole picture and just look at the high spec major components.... which, I suppose, is what all the major manufacturers do to some extent ...

Trek 6000 w/marzocchi Z4s
Marin Palisades trail

[Apr 11, 2002]
robby

Strength:

incredibly light..
SID SL is amazing.. the lockout is the best one out there..
plush and nice when you need it to be, but you don't have to worry about busting it on a drop..
Avid TI brakes.. ooo.. beautiful..

i'm not a big fan of the xt shifters..
specialized cranks.. not bad, but i'd rather have something w/ a real name on it..

i love bike.. the fork and brakes are what sold me on it.. if you've got the money..go for it..