Scott Expert 2002 Hardtail

spokes » 15 G Stainless, black
rims » Alesa Zac 19 32H N/Eyelet Black
tires » IRC Notos XC 26 x 2.1 yellow stripe

wondering bear   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2009]
Strength:

so crisp and tight, cant fault the frame

still has all tha original comps

i love it going to treat her to some upgrades

Similar Products Used: for what it cost new, i cant come up with anything
peter van wyk   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

great superlight good-looking frame. climbs hills like a crazy rabbit. handles super well down high speed single tracks (bumps can get tricky-shocks).

front shocks not great (rockshox judy). gonna ride to destruction then upgrade to a set of rockshox-duke. wheel set a little on the weak side. already buckled back wheel after a 1m drop in. seat not suited to long bumpy rides-gonna change that! front handle bar a little uncomfortable.

i decided on this bike because i love the frame. for the price and what you get with it, difficult to match! will definately upgrade some of the components as soon as i finish picking up the pieces on the mountains around stellenbosch...

Similar Products Used: giant yukon (wouldn't call that similar)
Sindre Sandvik   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2002]
Strength:

Solid Stiff frame, comes with good components.
not to heavy (12.8kg)

IRC Notos XC comes as default, you want to get rid of them asap. might want to invest in a new seatpost if you plan on riding more than 2-3 hours aday.

Great bike, or was it great frame, I tested it before I bought it. Decided I liked the frame, and the mechs was ok.
I plan on getting some RS SID Carbon and Hayes Disc brakes (front w/ Shimano XT hubs) But all in all this is a good value for money bike.

Similar Products Used: K2 Zed 5.0
Tim McCormick   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2006]
Strength:

Fantastic Frame, Great upgrade potential, Weight, Price and looks. Its a great bike if you can find one second hand!

The Judy TT's. What were they thinking? Wheels not quite as strong as I'd like, just have to be more fluid on landings. Spend some extra cash and get some decent shocks! Saddle and seatpost weigh too much.

Great bike! I've kept the TT's until now, they lasted this long (they're finally stuffed) Had to replace bars and stem, riding position wasn't great with standard set up. New SID rockshox, Raceface angled seat post, new saddle, XT running/braking gear and a raceface crank/bottom bracket are my next purchases. Can't wait to get it all together. The frame is definately worth keeping, it just feels nice...

Similar Products Used: Giant ATX 890, GT Zaskar
RICHARD OLDFIELD   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2002]
Strength:

GREAT FRAME AND SPEC. VERY SMOOTH AND QUIET RIDE. VISUALLY FANTASTIC.

FRONT FORKS NOT THE BEST. WHEELS NOT AS GOOD AS MY SCHUMANN/KENDA KINECTICS SET BUT NARROWER.

A GREAT BIKE FOR THE MONEY. WELL SPECCED AND A VERY GOOD RIDE. BUY ONE

Similar Products Used: ALPINESTARS ASR100, SCOTT BACKWOOD, SCOTT YECORA, BARRACUDA NEMESIS 2001.
Droid   [Aug 17, 2002]
Strength:

Fantastic frame with great looks and good geometry. Comfortable seat even for a 200 lber!!

Head set requires constant attention, RS Judy TT is pants, scott brakes are a bit limp.

The best houses are built on good foundations.This frame is a good foundation. The frame retail price is two thirds the cost of the bike so realistically the group set is irrelevant .With a decent set of shoxs on i doubt ill ever buy another bike , i cant give 5 flamin' porcupines for value as ill have to spend money upgrading shoxs etc very early on. Buy one and enjoy it.

Similar Products Used: Scott Tampico
dennis   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2002]
Strength:

I like the way it rides. Comfortable but performance - race orientated. It is really fast and goes where you want it. Frame alone absorbs bumps better than my old DB cromo frame. So no sign of rush ride. Brakes are ok, with scott logo, but are tektro made. IRC tires grab like mad on dirt, mud, roots, I like them a lot. Overall mechs is ok, but I don't trust the alesa rims. The time will tell wheather they like trueing. Shimano LX and deore work just perfect. Bike is fast climber, i ride mostly on singeltracks and everything is great.

Allthough frame is very light, it comes with heavy components (first complete wheel weighs 2 kg = 4.45pounds). Oh and I forgot about RS yudy TT. Hm it looks nice, but with 2.08kg I left it in a shop and never rode it. I put on my old Manitou SX. Still better than yudy TT.
And one thig I am very worried about: frame resistance to hits, falls. The big diameter tubes are so thin, that you can squeeze it by hand and see how it flex. But that does not tell me anything about hits proofnes. Also front der. is deore, that has less spring-strenghth than my old alivio. Don't know if this is because of27 spd, or it just sucks. I wonder if LX would perform better? When I adopted differnet shifting style it is ok, again.

I finnaly found the bike geometry that I want to keep for ages. But the question is - will it last with so thin walls? I sure hope so, scott should know what they're doing. Otherwise I will go with boulder, because I really like scotts riding position. And did I mention it looks very cool? Not just the colour, you should go to the shop and see a fantastic chainstay and seatstay + bridge design. rear dropouts are innovative, as well. I ride it every day and am very happy with it.

Similar Products Used: Tassajaras (too spread position, too long top tube), Trek 4900, 6500, Palisades trail, Iguana, Diamondback Vertec.
Nuno Cortiço   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2002]
Strength:

Frame quality and design, good for climbing and give confidence descendig(whit my bike setup)

standard fork (judy tt)heavy components set

the frame justify all

Marcus McCallum   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2002]
Strength:

With the light frame going up hill is no prob. The gear set is nice and allows for fast gear changes. The seat looks a bit uncomfortable but belive me it saw me through some tough riding.

Not found any yet......

The bike´s fatter than fat and does for my needs. Its a good all rounder in my view and its been taken on some of the harder tracks Sweden has to offer... WICKED. If your looking for some thing

Similar Products Used: I had a Kona downhill bike before this one and i was a bit worried that this bike would´nt be able to do the kind of riding i´ve been doing, but it has pulled through with flying colours.
Phil Collins   Weekend Warrior [Jun 02, 2002]
Strength:

The frame is fantastic and for the price the component set is amazing. The riding position is superb. Forget about asking the question how does it climb, because everthing goes straight to the back wheels and no matter what gradient or terrain your on you just glide with minimum effort yet maximum power.

Possibly the fork, but so far everything is going well..

Next time your thrashing down the trail with mud on your face, and grit in your teeth, have a think to yourself am I a mountain biker or an EXPERT, RACING.....??...