Rocky Mountain Oxygen 2002 Hardtail

Oxygen

Charles Brewer   [Mar 08, 2002]
Strength:

Responsive, scary, fast; feels like driving a sports car after a driving a big van...

Now I know why hardtail bikes are so called!

Still grinning after finishing a ride an hour ago. My previous bike was an entry level Scott Purgatory, and the difference is immense. The bike lets me go faster, corners as if it's on rails and generally raises the likelihood that my next crash will involve higer levels of damage to me. The Hope brakes are also terrifying!

Gary Yee   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight Easton Aluminum frame and lack of generic parts.

Uses disc brake compatible hubs. It gives you more upgrade options. Unless you're going to disc brakes, it is heavier than regular hubs.

I like the component's spec'd. Most big bike companies almost always mix in their own generic components, but RMB has very few. Just the seat post and seat post release are RMB's own. All the Race Face and Shimano component's work together like clockwork.

Great bike with hand-built and signed frame and wheelsets. I've been riding it very hard. I've bent the rear hanger and bent the front rim in separate incidents. The rear hanger was bent back, but I've had to rebuild the front wheel.

The riser bars are a bit wide. I had them sawed down 3 quarters of an inch. I might even cut them down even more.

Tracks well. I've been able to make climbs that I've never been able to before. One of the best built cross country hardtails in its class.

Similar Products Used: Maxam
mtbmon   Racer [Mar 19, 2002]
Strength:

Very responsive, tight geometry, light, great looks, high quality and attention to detail.

Delivery time to the States is horrible and communication isnt great. Some weak spec'd components for a top race bike.

This review is more for the frame really but I built up my Rocky into a really trick and light racer. Scale says about 2 lbs as I have it. I wanted the blue one but got the yellow and I am glad it worked out that way. The paint is some kind of metallic yellow and looks really fast and cool. When I checked the geometry it was basically the same as my Kula so I figured it would feel just like it and behave like every other alu hardtail Ive ridden w/ a sloped top tube. Was I ever wrong. The only way I can describe it is that the ride felt very compliant but with no power loss. Its not the normal harsh feel you get with alu frames. Don't get me wrong, its plenty stiff and actually seemed to stiffen as you threw it into turns and release as you exited. Climbing is fantastic as your weight is squarely over the rear wheel. Id recommend running a slightly longer stem than you normally would as the frame can feel cramped otherwise. Swap the stem and you can really throw this bike around. For the money as its spec'd, its a steal. Swap out the parts to make it a true racer and you've got a killer ride. Can't wait to race it this weekend, I just hope Im as fast as my bike. Let them flamin turds fly, this one deserves as much as it can get!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F1000, Kona Kula
Codey May   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2002]
Strength:

This Bike is an excellent bike for the money. You will have to spend thousands more to get a bike that is as fast and responsive as the rocky mountain oxygen. I have ridden bikes from trek, devinci, kona, and specialized and none of them even compare. Whether you are an XC racer or a weekend warrior. This bike could be an excellent match

This bike is an aswome bike for someone wanting to get into XC racing or even aggresive XC riding. With little upgrades you can have a bike that can easily keep up to $3000 carbon frames fully loaded. An excellent bike. A great value. Nothing bad to say about it.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000
GMAN   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2002]
Strength:

AWSOME TRAVERSE, CORNERING/HANDLING , WEIGHT ...CAN CLIMB FOREVER AND FASTER

NONE

I RODE A SPECIALIZED HARD ROCK FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS AND STILL CAN'T BELEIVE THE DIFFERENCE......THIS IS LIKE DRIVING A TURBO CHARGED PORCHE AS COMPARED TO A CITY BUS. ANYONE THAT LOVES TO RIDE HARD OFF ROAD, ESPECIALLY SINGLE TRACK, HAS TO RIDE THIS BIKE !!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: SPECIALIZED HARDROCK, TREK Y FRAME
Dickson   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2002]
Strength:

Looking for speed, quality Easton frame and doubt of full suspension bike performance and fear of constant maintenance of rear privot/suspension this is a surprise hardtail XC racer. Its effortless to pedal. You do not need to upgrade much, comes with XTR drive train parts.
If you try it you know its better than Giant SE I/II.
Its very close if you blindfold and pedal. But stability and built of this bike will tell. The welding parts well taken care. The bike is very capable of speed, conering and climbing. Change the tires to WTB 1.85 if you want speed. Full Suspension bike will not stand a chance to overtake you on a smooth terrian.
Whats different is the ride is rather smooth and very responsive even on the road.

No disc brake for a good frame.
For perfection I hope one day somebody in Rocky Mountain invent soft tail for this frame with the same weight about 11.8kg to 13kg.

Luxurious bike of Speed is the word I can describe.
Ferrari is what people describe because of the Marzocchi MXR Air fork.
but with the colours and built I call Oxygen "Aston Martin".
But to people who prefered Giant SE with attractive colours frame and parts its "Mitsubishi Evolution VI"
Do you know what I meant? They are different.

Similar Products Used: Taiwan made Giant SE I/II will be best choice if Oxygen is not around.