Raleigh M600 2002 Hardtail

Vinnie Passeri   Racer [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

shimano deore lx, is a very good der. Think about it, just two steps up from it is xtr, TWO STEPS. I cant find a difference between deore lx and xt. And if there is a difference, it's very small. The disc brakes are a little weak at first, but once you wear them in they work great. The fork is very nice. It took me about a week to get the right psi and travel length for me. Yes the others were right, there are some no name parts (handel bars and seat post) but if the Raleigh company were to put all name brand parts on the m600, the bike would cost about $2000. I also like the company. They have been making bikes for a long time and they are well trusted.

Well,, there is not many weaknesses but I dont like the seat. It is a cross between a comport seat and a xc seat. I dont wan't to change it because it's still new. I wil change it in about 6 months (on my next tuneup)

GREAT BIKE! This bike is the best bike I own. I love it and use it every day. If you think this bike sounds good, go try one at your raleigh dealer. Hurry! By 2004 they will most likely be gone because they are a '02 model not an '03. From what I heard, they arnt bringing it back in '04 or '05.

Similar Products Used: Trek 6700, Tassajara Disc, Kona Nunu. But over all get the m600 if you can.
Don Dykstra   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

Good component selection for weekend warriors. Disc brakes are sweet. Judy SL on a $500 bike. Clipless.

Stem, handlebars, hubs, seatpost. Not ugly enough - My Cannondale was irredescent purple with green tires.

Sweet Bike. Bit heavy. Hope it's as bombproof as the weight makes me think.

Similar Products Used: Finally got off my Cannondale M500 with no shock after nearly killing myself on a downhill ride at Killington last year.
guy fidro   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2002]
Strength:

great brakes, decent components, forks have pressure and rebound adjusting, and the bike looks great. I would highly recommend the bike for this price range.

kind of heavy. goofy handlebars that belong on a piece of gym equipment.

well worth the price

Similar Products Used: Yakota Quicksilver
Matt Bauer   Cross Country Rider [Jan 15, 2004]
Strength:

The bikes got great rims even though their quite heavy. good strong frame that can take more than you can. great disk breaks once you wear them in. stop on a dime. great gears, easy to shift. great handeling. though i do reccomend getting new handelbars and shortening them.

Its wieight and its noname parts. it'd be alot more expensive if it came with all name parts. one of the heaviest hardtails ive ridden but that can be fixed.

This bike is a great buy. one of the best bikes you can find under $1000 bucks. shocks are good except for you have to pump them like a basketball, with a needle and all. i dont really like that. thats why i got new shocks. it needs a few upgrades to name parts and all, but other than that its a great bike.I really recommend it!

Similar Products Used: Jamis Eurika. Banshee Morphine. various others
Jarod   Weekend Warrior [Oct 08, 2002]
Strength:

Price...

Cheesy bar, stem, seatpost, hubs, fork.

Great bike to get started on, truly a chameleon of a bike. I use it primarily for urban assult riding, chose it for its huge headtube gusset and pricetag. Had to switch the ape hanger bars for something a little more my speed, and with that it needed a longer stem. Got the non-long-arm shimano deore discs on it, alright for the rear, sucks on the front (can't even lock up the front wheel). next purchase will be the brake unless I destroy the cheapy shimano crank first.

Similar Products Used: Can't say its fair...Klein Pulse Pro w/9spd LX
Justin McHenry   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2002]
Strength:

excellent components for the price, very durable, I smacked a tree going about 35, the bike didn't even have a scratch, but i ended up staying the night at the hospital

i guess it is a bit heavy for a hardtail, but it's still the best you can get for the money

Wow, if you want a bike that can go anywhere quite easily and you don't want to spend a fortune, this is THE bike, the shocks in front and the enduro raptor tires give you excellent control, the disc brakes give you great stopping power in all conditions and the deore setup provides a very easy to shift machine, this bike has made me a big fan of Raliegh, i've gotten it up to 41 mph so far too

Similar Products Used: just department store bikes, but i've looked at specialized, trek, and a few other companies, and nothing under $1000 comes close to the m600
christian mckenna   Downhiller [Jul 23, 2002]
Strength:

very strong frame, and it has a good thick head tube for hard riders. the frame still looks good after i crashed off a 6 foot drop.

weight

i think this is a great bike and its great for downhill and freeriding. its one of the best bikes i`ve rode. this bike is awsome on x-country too. i think any one could ride on this bike. but i think any hard core rider should buy this bike. its strong and can take more than you can!

Similar Products Used: raleigh m200
Offroader   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2002]
Strength:

Good components.
Shimano Deore Mechanical Disc brakes offer great control for downhill.

Too heavy: 32 pounds.
No name Seatpost, Stem, Headset and Handlebar.
Cheap "Joytech" hubs.

I'm disappointed with this bike's overweight.
I don't understand why a bike with good components like this one is so heavy (32 lb), even after replacing the factory installed Shimano Deore cranks with Shimano XT HollowTech cranks.
Don't get me wrong: It's great for the price, but I wonder why it is five to seven pounds heavier than it looks.
Is this frame unusually heavy?
The folks at Raleigh USA don't know the frame weight, so I suppose I would have to completely disassemble my bike to find out (which I won't).

Similar Products Used: Raleigh M50
mike   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2002]
Strength:

great brakes, stop on a dime. great shift package and nice looking wheelset, great value overall.

junk seatpost, stem, handlebars--had to replace all of them immediatly, also bike is too heavy.

great bike, great value, nothing else touches it for the money, they made some good component choices where it counts and poor ones where it doesn't, which are easily correctable. change a few things and you have a great all around ride for a lot less money than your buddies.