Raleigh M20 2002 Hardtail

SMartin   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2011]
Strength:

Lasted for almost 9 years

rims
rear break cable
front derailleur
fork/suspension
rear derailleur

Got this bike for Christmas(thats right, I said Christmas, not the holidays) in 2002 and it died on me in May of 2011. I'll admit that for the first 5 years I only used it to bike around the block and light trails since I got the bike when I was 11 and nobody in my family rides on trails so the bike really only lasted me about 3 years and each year the level of riding progressed. By the time it died I rode on average of 30 miles each time I rode (10 miles to the trail, 10 miles on trail, 10 miles back home) with some rides of up to a little over 50 miles. Periodically my breaks needed adjustments and eventually they needed them before/after every ride and then the front derailleur needed adjustments every couple of weeks. By the time I admitted my bike was dead, the forks suspension was dead, front derailleur needed daily adjustments, rear derailleur was broke, rear rim was bent, and the rear break cable was so stretched the break didnt work(product weakness section is in order of what wore out in order). Even though its all fixable, its time for a new bike. All in all I'm amazed at how well something with the Made in China worked for a beginner bike.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Thanatos   Weekend Warrior [Jan 14, 2010]
Strength:

A definite tank, very light in comparison to many other bikes I have owned previously. This bike is over 8 years old, and still runs like new. The only thing I have had to replace to date are the tires, as I ride this bike on a daily basis.

the front derailleur has problem with the lower gear, and found the best front gear to ride with was the second one.

The best $275 I have spent on a bike to date. If the choice was given to me again, I'd probably buy another Raleigh or Specialized, maybe even a Trek. I have strong legs, and this bike has put me to my limit on more than one occasion. I have not found any major problems with it.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hard Rock
superbox   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2008]
Strength:

Solid steel frame, decent components which work well for such a cheap bike, comfortable "comfort" ergonomics which accommodates a range of rider heights, horizontal dropoffs make it SS compatible, rack and fender mounts.

Horizontal dropoffs are useless and annoying for a bike that will probably always remain geared for most people who will use this for commuting - makes it a pain in the rear to get the axle perfectly aligned. Oversized tubing is ridiculous and probably makes the steel frame heavier than if they were normal double butted slim tubes! Only one set of cage brazeons on a huge frame that should have two sets!

A cheap American made bike that my friend has used to embarass me while on actual gnarly XC rides at Skeggs and the Marin Headlands as well as a few urban rides. The frame isn't as comfortable hitting bumps as my steel Rockhopper but it works fine for a rigid. The drivetrain, when properly tuned and set up, works just as well as a new 27 speed setup. Not a terribly heavy pig. Brakes stopped well enough for a downhill rock garden we attempted recently, where my Stumpjumper's disc brakes overheated and faded! Rear wheel has to be trued every couple rides, but I'm an amateur at truing wheels so could be my inexperience.

Gets ridden a few days a week on a short commute, and will be kept around so my friend can once again ride it when his bike is in the shop.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Crossroads, Rockhopper (set up as commuter bikes
steve   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2003]
Strength:

built to last, extremely strong, responsive, great breaks, great tuning, speed demond, upgradeable. I have over a thousand miles on this bike(im 13) i did the trek across maine on it(180miles in 2 and a half days)it held up very nicely ecspecialy on decents.

sucky kenda tires, rims go out of true every once in a while, grip shift...cant shift in rain, shamano sis. 7 gears.

this thing is a tank! i cant afford a "real" bike so i got this one. ive had it for two years! it is a little on the heavy side but for the price is very good. you can beat the crap out of it like i have and nothing will happen. i am trying to get into some more seriuos xc riding, this bike will not take me there. i also need a sponsor, (like that will happen.) the sis shifting sucks, i broke mine by changing a tire! the front shifting has very little responce time. this bike is great for begginers or even the weekend warrior. not meant for anything other than xc use.

Similar Products Used: raleigh m80, countless mongooses, diamondback, gary fisher(test ridden)
Larry   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2002]
Strength:

Great entry level bike, I have used it on intermediate level rides and it has held up vary well. I am 6'4 and 260 lbs.

I like this bike, there are a few changes I would like to make, but thats to personalize it.

Similar Products Used: First mtn bike
mike feller   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent bike. Rides extremely well. No mechanical problems with it at all. Very quick on the trails. Jumps right out of holes when front wheel goes in a hole.

NONE

It is a all around perfect bike. I advise anyone looking for a bike to buy it. The beginners this is a bike for you. Tyhe more experienced might want something a little better.

Similar Products Used: Topega
Derek   Weekend Warrior [Nov 08, 2002]
Strength:

Good all around bike. Great learning bike.

The bike is okay but is kinda heavy. RST shock sucks it won't at all in the cold but...you get what you pay for.

Great bike for the money. If your lookin for a decent first bike, the m20 is for you. I think this bike is best for the younger riders.

Similar Products Used: Raleigh m600,m8000,sc200 and my moms tara.
christopher   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2003]
Strength:

Built like a tank, cheap

Lower end component group, not a speed demon

Great tank for money, minimum you can buy to get a bike that you can trust to be 20 miles from a phone. Has held up to 50 miles a week for the past 5 years. Only had to repair back tire bushing(sheared) and the front wheel bearings wore out after 4 years. I would recommend this bike to anyone on a budjet who loves to ride alot. 99% of the miles are on asphalt of packed flat trail, so unsure of offroad abilitys.