Kona Cinder Cone 2002 Hardtail

Daniel   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2003]
Strength:

kickass brakes,derailurs,and sweet air shocks.

pedals seem like 5 dollar pedals but what do i know......

I have the 2003 model. They didnt put it on the site. I have been researching for hours at a time for about 3 months. Although no riding expert I would now call myself a bike shopping expert. GET THIS!!! better than anything I have seen for the price. Also consider NuNu(kona). Cant beat the deal and the look.

Similar Products Used: Kona NuNu, Haro extreme 8.1 or 8.2
mark   [Aug 30, 2003]
Strength:

price, color(black), weight, responsive

none so far

the guys at VBS (vail bicycle service) set the frame up singlespeed for me and i couldn't have asked for anything more. they blacked the entire thing out! Who need to shift gears? the frame climbs and descends great. i would recommend the frame to anyone.

Similar Products Used: giant xtc se-2
Steve B   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2003]
Strength:

Light frame,good componets,awesome paint job,and strong for the money spent.

The saddle was horrible at first, but as my butt became hard as a rock and chapped, it became a little more bearable.

The Cinder Cone is a very good bike for the money. From the fork,( Marzocchi EXR Air ), all the way down to the drivetrain, my Kona kicks major A*@!!!! ( Just ask the guy that I smoked at Mc Allister Park last weekend ). Kona has got me hooked on their bikes and I will ride no other. I have done just as well on my $650 bike, if not better, than those out there sporting bikes at $2000. If you are looking for a great beginner bike, have about $800, then look no further than what Kona has to offer.

Similar Products Used: A crappy brand o mountain bike I am too ashamed to name
Michael   [Jun 04, 2003]
Strength:

good components, nice paint job.
THe marzocchi bomber is nice. Very well damped, and it's air sprung so it's adjustable.
THe bike is also very fast. THe power transfer seemes to be efficient.

It has threaded holes on the dropouts for a rack or fenders, but a rack conflicts with the disk brake mounts, so I had to leave it off.
THe wheels are horribly weak. They click and twang when they hit the ground hard and are already coming untrue.
the tubing is also only butted on the seat tube; the rest is straight guage, but I guess that's what you get at this price range. It's better than my previous bike, though, so it is not bad.
As other reviewers mentioned, the saddle is pretty bad, too. It is poorly padded and shaped weird.
Deore LX is not shifting completely smoothley for me but perhaps it has a break-in period or is not adjusted properly.
THe handle bars are a little wide but I got used to it.

A good bike for messing around and going on some demanding trails, while being affordable. THe before-mentioned weaknesses are all minor; over all, a great bike.

Similar Products Used: GT saddleback--horrible and cheap
Schwinn dualie--old and steal but comfortable
miscellaneous
alan fisher   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

light responsive frame, excellent forks and well chosen components giving good performance for the money smooth shifting deore gears, excellent avid brakes

paintwork looks great, but chipped and worn in usual places quickly, however uk importers promptly sent out some touch up paint so cannot complain about the back up

since buying the cindercone my confidence and ability have grown enormously, much thanks to the quality forks but helped also by light weight and other quality components. initially i thought the bars were too wide but a recent mtb marathon after a week of heavy rain in the area created lots of thick rutted mud, the width gave the leverage to remain in control of the bike.
far faster, more responsive and confident than anything else i have ridden off road, great for up to three hours after which i recommend a full susser, next bike may be a kona kahuna deluxe 2003, mostly the same equipment as the cindercone but with that rear suspension.
if you want a quality hard tail without breaking the bank you cannot be far off with the cindercone

Similar Products Used: previous mtb dawes tamarak, also had fully rigid specialized hardrock, and carrera katmandu in the 1980s and 1990s. mtbs are still evolving and improving
Roland Kokke   Weekend Warrior [Dec 07, 2003]
Strength:

Strength, value for the money

seat, grips, rear wheel

I'm 240 and use the bike mainly for commuting in the city, with occasional offroad use. I love the bike, I replaced my previous CinderCone with this one when it was stolen. I am pleased with the subsitution brakes, saddle and grips. The stock Kona grips are terrible. The bike handles comfortably for my size and is very durable. The Bomber fork is very good for the price. The spokes in the rear rim began to dome out the rim in some spots, with faigue/stress crack radiating from them. The rim was just replaced by the Rhyno Lite. The shifting has always been smooth and slick, and the LX brakes are very nice, though my next bike will have disk brakes. Overall, solid value

Similar Products Used: previous Cinder Cone
brian   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 2005]
Strength:

It's a simple solid bike with good components. The frame, wheels and gears have all be great.

I bought the 2003 model with Shimano "resin" brakes -- these brakes weren't up to the challenge. Hayes brakes would have been better. On steep decents the Shimano's would get so hot they'd warp! After replacing the rotors with after market stuff, things are better.

Except for the occasional brake trouble, I've really enjoyed the bike. It's solid and simple and performs very well in all but the most extreme conditions.

Similar Products Used: GT
Jas Binson   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2004]
Strength:

Good frame, components.
Weak fork.

Fork is a JudyTT...bottom line fork. SUCKS! constantly bobs and bottomed out a few times...until the seals broke

What really pissed off was when the fork busted on me Kona gave me the run around on getting fixed or replaced...finally I went to RockShox and they fixed it. But I got a Manitou instead. Hmmmm...geeee...If the engine fails on my car I don't have to take to who actually built the broke part...I take it to the dealer.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Rocky Mountain, KHS
Mike N.   Weekend Warrior [Oct 16, 2002]
Strength:

Awesome frame. Front shock work's great, IMO better than Rock Shox. Very nice bike for the price.

THE SEAT! OMG the seat has to go! Heed our warning's! The pedals are junk, tossed them before I got home. Other than that, this bike is wicked nice.

If you are looking for a nice middle of the road mountain bike at a reasonable price, check out the Kona's. For the value rating, I gave it 5 chili's, IMO you can't find a better bike for the price. For overall rating I gave it 4 chili's. Kona has to do something about the seat and the cheap-o Wellgo pedals.

Similar Products Used: Have only ridden friends MTB's. I'm fresh outta BMX. Decided to start MTB because I was getting to old for little old 20" frames. Some of my friends bikes are Cannondale F300, Santa Cruz Bullit(sp) and a Specialized Stumpjumper.
Gibbo   [Oct 14, 2002]
Strength:

This bike has a great mix of components on a frame begging for nasty trails

I'm on a 20' and found the stem too long, however that was soon replaced with a shorter kona one at no extra cost

Kona defines the term "bang for ya buck"
With the help of my buddies Nance and Guff I've taken hold of a great bike and with the weekend riding i've been doing around town i feel that i can at last offer an opinion.
I'm only a novice but i do highly recommend the cinder cone