Kona Caldera 2002 Hardtail

Kona Caldera 2002 Hardtail

[Jul 02, 2003]
Marc Fischer

Strength:

XT components with the Bomber fork make hell of a deal. The bikes just loved to jump the XC stuff. Not a DH bike but you know that when you buy it.

The tires are way soft. They are showing wear after just one week. I changed to some WTB's and now the bike climbs a lot better.

If you love XC this is your bike. It is not the lightest one I ever had. The geometry is very easy to get used to and so far I had no problem with any trail sections. I have no mercy with the bike and it already took quite a bit of abuse and still no problems at all.

Diamondback APEX '02

[Jun 26, 2003]
greg goire

Strength:

rockin' looks and steamin' great components for the bucks - all round a chunky good deal - no trail is safe

tires are sound but a bit sad and a jittering noise from the rear hydraulics cable alond the top tube is a piss off

the fattest value at the gig ... there's simply no better hard tail for the bucks! I can't eat up enough trail at the moment and Tips: get the doods at the shop to clean out the down tube so you don't toast the seat post finish and retro fit some tube rubber to the top of the rear derailleur and the right chainstay ... I gotta ride!

trek 6700, apollo cascade

[Jun 18, 2003]
David

Strength:

It may be a 2001 model of Caldera I have because I don't have the disk brakes. Anyway, I love the one I have. It's my first mountain bike, and with it I've discovered a whole new sport. Everything about the bike has worked great for a year.

I suspect that my bike is heavier than some of my friends' bikes, but, hey, it was only $800. Like the guy at the shop said, the more you pay, the less you get. I had several flats until I installed Slimeliner. Now I rarely get flats.

I'd buy this bike again! I ride it on streets and trails. It was a great entry-level purchase, and one I plan to stick with for many years, riding once or twice a week, or 18-25 miles a week.

Vista 10-speed road bike, circa 1974. Okay, that's not really similar, but it's what I replaced with my Kona.

[May 25, 2003]
Gaston

Strength:

The XT components are fantastic. EXR Bomber and Shimano Hydraulic Brakes. You can beat the components and the prices of this bike.

ohhh God, the seat is a pain. I will change it as soon as possible

I have used this bike for a week. The hydraulics brakes are one of the best thing that this bike have. The frame awsome and the xt components are terrific. I spent more than a month reseratching to get the best bike for 1100 U$S and by far this is the best you can get.

Giant Rainier, Rocky Mountain Elevation, Cannondale 400, Trek 6700.

[Sep 10, 2007]
Aaron

Strength:

Good brakes, lockout on front fork, smooth shifting.

I've broken the chain once, when it was fixed the first time, they didn't do it right and it broke again. I had it fixed somewhere else and another link broke. Brought it back 1 more time, we'll see how it goes. Front fork could be stiffer. Brakes need occasional repositioning to stop drag. Don't like the hand grips. Factory tires could be wider and better tread pattern, very hard to go up loose gravel hills. I'll be upgrading the tires next season. Paint scratches easily.

Good bike for the money, but with the chain problems and skinny stock tires, I wish i had gone for the norco bigfoot.

9 year old nishiki 18" mountain bike, never broke a chain, was super reliable, wanted something newer with suspension.

[Feb 22, 2002]
Mike

Strength:

Just about everything. A super solid feel with nimble handling creates confidence on even the sketchiest of downhills (and uphills, which by the way are no sweat on this bike)

The only fault I have noticed so far is a bent seatpost. But, then again, I am six foot five so I keep my seat up to the max line at all times. Shorter riders should not have the problem.

From the first test ride in the bike parking lot to my ride last weekend, I have yet to complain about anything on this bike. It's fun to jump with, fun to bomb hills with, and even fun to climb with. I'm in the market for a freeride bike and I believe it will have to be another Kona.

I tried a GT Avalanche 2.0...No comparison. Kona makes the best.

[Oct 15, 2002]
Andrew

Strength:

light, sweet Marzocchi fork, powerful Hayes disc brakes, solid components

front end is light when climbing (possibly bad technique on my part), the stock seat makes you feel like you just got out of a Turkish prison, slick stock grips, chainsuck when climbing

All the bike I needed and a good price. For my first decent mountain bike (I still have the Talera) it rocks - sweet fork, strong brakes, etc. I recently moves from Illinois to Virginia and the Caldera is proving its worth in the mountains. One small complaint, though, is that the components and pedals take some breaking in. Overall, this bike rocks!

old-skool GT Talera

[May 16, 2005]
Bjorn Antonsen

Strength:

Awesome overall quality for the buck.
Brakes work very well and even stopping power, but a rather long burn in.
Silent braking.
Can use all gears with little noise, 1-9 and 3-1 for example, even though I don't use such wide gears, I feel it's a good sign it actually works, unlike my other bike.

The damn disc just won't stay centered between the pads. Great brakes, but the clearance is a little narrow.
The lower headset bearing rusted, broke and locked up due to way too little grease from factory. That's the only low quality part on the bike, small balls and not stainless.
Free replacement of course, but an hour work I should'nt have had to do. The front chainrings seem soft, I've gotten splinters of aluminum when wiping it off. Like on all 29 gear systems the smallest chainring has a tendency to drop the chain whenever I go from 3-1 too quickly.

Even though I had a bad experience with the headset, and the brakes are a pain to setup, I have had to set them up once every two weeks, it doesn't take the top rating off.
It's a lovely frame with nice parts and extremely well balanced weight, I feel I can go downhill without that sensation of falling over, and vice versa, uphill at angles I've never tried before.
I've biked 948km in a little less than three months, and that says a lot about how much fun it's been.

For me, this of bike is the perfect date.

My last bike was my first Enthusiast bike, a CyclePro FR1

[Sep 21, 2002]
Cory Mayer

Strength:

Kick ass bike fairly light great price for the componants fits well tires kick ass looks good rides smooth climbs well I ride my bike everyday in everykind of weather and it is still holding up hardly any problems just riped hole in side wall of the back tire but other than that no problem

not many I upgraded my bike so its kick ass it could have hydraulic disk brakes and be a bit lighter oh and the seats uncomfortable

if you have have some money to buy a bike and you want something to last and be worth the money with kick ass components the caldera is for you. I paid 1550 canadian and got 10 x better componants than a rocky mountain oxygen that i was looking at which was 2000. highly kick ass but don't buy it if you wont use it in the mountains

Rocky Mountain oxygen

[Jul 27, 2003]
Graham

Strength:

Frame and components give great ride for XC and downhill. Always goes where you point it - no frame flex and no slop in the forks. Feels sure footed at all times. Great components. Hydraulic Disks rock. Can't beat the XT / bomber setup for the price. Similar spec bikes in nz are NZ$1800 upwards (US$1050). Direct import by local supplier cuts the middleman and the price.

None yet

Great bike for the bucks - Can't beat the price compared to similar spec bikes. Strong frame with little flex, and the disks are a great confidence booster. A little heavier than some bikes but this makes for a more stable ride, particularly on fast uneven downhills. I feel far more confident on this bike than the stumpjumper, which felt too light and skittery on the rough stuff and the Judy's sucked big time. This bike goes where you point it and holds its line. Handles 3 - 4 foot drops with ease and comfort.

98 Specialised Stumpjumer M3, Haro V2 Extreme, Old trusty rigid frame peugeot (13 years and still going strong - can't kill it!)