Klein Attitude Comp 2002 Hardtail

Klein Attitude Comp 2002 Hardtail

[Dec 16, 2001]
Dwight

Strength:

The bike is light and versitile, and climbs like a mountain goat. This bike has some of the best handling I've felt. Also, who can forget the internal cable routing, and Klein's signature paint job? Internal routing + awesome paint job = One badass looking bike

Shorter wheel base, so it's easier to go over the handlebars. Also, it could use a better seatpost. No matter how tight I make the seat, it will often slip out of place if my weight is on the back of the saddle and I hit a bump. Nothing is worse than when the front of your saddle nails you right in the...

I agree 100% with Chad's review, this thing is awesome. My riding improved significantly when I purchased this bike -mostly because I rarely need to fight my equipment anymore. I can climb better through technical sections, and go faster in general. I personally believe people should buy a bike with the best frame for the money, and build from there. -This is a great bike to do that with. It's a little higher priced than other similar bikes, but it's worth every cent.

Specialized Stump Jumper
Bridgestone MB-1

[Jan 30, 2004]
adam becker
Downhiller

Strength:

This bike first catches your eye if good light is hitting it just right, absolutely beautiful paint. I get to ride this every day in the best urban bike zoo, san francisco and it just feels so tight either, climbing or descending. Two years of wear and tear, even sideswiped by a muni bus and nothing other them a few scratches on that beautiful paint. Overall a very smooth feeling bike, we could talk mumbo-jumbo on the compnents and such but save that for your internet searches and just go to your shop and hop on one.

It's a petty complaint because as mentioned before this bike is bought for the frame and although hard to justify being in the 1000+ market but upgradable componets, but I hate the rear derailer, If you buy a new one bike it might be a good time to negotiate a component upgrade before your bike leaves the shop

I would not think twice of any bike in this range over this Klein. I hope my happiness will continue as this bike remains trouble free in the years to come. I still smile as I climb some of those so famous San Fransisco hills, and grin to my self as I see that paint in different lights. Components can always be upgraded but the feeling of this frame personally can not be touched until you jump to a drasticaaly higher price point. If I didn't seem clear I really love this bike.

Various bikes in this price range

[Nov 26, 2001]
Chad

Strength:

a frame is a frame is a...whoah. i'm in love. AWESOME zirconium alloy frame, gorgeous paint job, great fork, FAT and SOLID, the way a mtb should ride. tubeless wheel setup, gonna go tubeless soon. if you can afford it, get the hayes disc brakes. i couldn't. LX/XT and bontrager components do the job. great bike built around a sick frame. needless to say, the bike is a rocket. confidence-inspiring hard-tail. a lot of great bikes out there, but FEEL this Klein.

i have no reasonable complaints. you want marginally better components for the price, and aren't a stickler for the frame, get a Trek.

absolutely gorgeous, hardcore, dirt-slinging mother of a hard-tail.

Specialized StumpJumper, Trek 8000

[Jan 13, 2002]
steve benson

Strength:

I have a klein rascal, which I bought in 1990. Frame design is very similar to current model. Despite my bike being 12 years old, I still get comments on it. I never expected this bike to last this long since my 1st bike (specialized) frame cracked. I am not the lightest rider around (usually around 195 lbs), I have raced cross country and even a few downhill races (between 1994 and 1996). I have been riding this bike hard every year for 12 years and it is still has as great a feel as the day I bought it. I have done 4 complete rebuilds, exchangeing everything but the frame. When I bought this bike, everyone thought I was nuts for spending 2K on a bicycle (in 1990 tha was A LOT), but it was well worth it.
OTHER STRENGTHS: most durable paint around, although it will fade some, welds on this thing are artwork, great climber

1. won't die, ever
2. internal cables look cool, but very difficult to change internal plasting housing. Also, metal end of cable housing can fuse into the aluminum frame. I have one that has been stuck for 8 years, tried everything to get itout, no luck.

a great hardtail

specialized stumpjumper

[Feb 20, 2004]
Mort Cairns

Strength:

Fantastic frame geometry, build and finish.

Weaknesses? Klein?

This bike is da bomb! Mine is a 1998 model (original, pre-Trek version) and it still rides beautifully. Having ridden many newer hardtails, I simply wouldn't swap this for any of them. The build quality is top class, the finish is fantastic and the frame geometry makes it a great road bike too. I use it for XC and some road riding with a road club (using skinny tyres). Have upgraded many of the original components but the frame alone is worth the original price in my opinion.

Various equally priced hardtails.

[May 01, 2003]
marc marc

Strength:

everything on the bike

it has none tha i c

its a very fast bike and it climbs like crazy

[Oct 26, 2002]
mike

Strength:

beautiful frame, nice components, durability

duke xc

I got one of the last 2002 bikes at a clearance price. For what I paid the components are nice and durable. The bike only weighs about 25 lbs and climbs effortlessly.

The paint and finish on the frame is absolutely beautiful. The frame is stiff without being too harsh. The bike is easy to maneuver and feels very agile. It is a great XC hardtail that doesnt break your budget.

[Aug 07, 2002]
Jimmy

Strength:

super light...beautiful paint job...rides like a dream.

could use some better components for the price. saddle sucks, too.

love at first sight. i knew i really wanted a klein, but it took me a couple weeks to commit to spending the money. since then, i've had absolutely no regrets. this is one helluva ride! i'm still pretty new to mtbs - haven't been into bikes since my bmx freestylin days in the 80's...my gt pro performer is still at my parents' house. haven't been out on the trails yet cause i live downtown and busy with work, but i take it out almost every night speeding down the city streets. definitely a huge improvement over my old trek. this bike does deserve to have some better components than what it came with. thinking about a new neck, stem and bars...probably chris king and thompson. also want new brakes. need to replace the saddle immediately though...i'm only about 140 lbs but it squeaks like hell and feels like it's about to crack.

trek 820

[Jul 25, 2002]
jeff

Strength:

Great frame, light, Rock Shox Duke, and some components. Disc compatable. Awesome paint job.

For the money you would expect better components. Tires, low-end brakes. Not much else.

Great bike, great frame, great paint job, good components- but I expected better. The rock Shox is superb, I wish it was the Duke race with dual adjustmenst but I might upgrade to a SID in the future anyway. I would highly recommend this bike or any Klein. I also might get a Klein road bike in the future. I gave it 4 chilis on value because they could have given better components but 5 on overall value because I really love this bike!

Scott

[Aug 23, 2002]
Jamie

Strength:

The frame feels solid and up the small stuff very well. Thought the seat was very comfortable, but that is not saying much considering what I used to have (a.k.a. "a brick"). I have ridden the bike a only a couple of times and I can already tell a major difference in the acceleration factor compared to my last bike. Duke XC is a good combo with this frame even though it is not what I would have liked to have had for a front suspension system.

There are only a few weaknesses with this bike, and they are definately not with the frame. Anything considered weak on the bike would be one of the 'cost friendly' components that make this great bike affordable. The only changes I plan on making in the near future are switching out the brakes for some Magura HS-33's and the LX crank for an XT or a Race Face. There is nothing on the bike that I would consider to be "problematic", but with Yin there always exists a Yang. (can you smell the cheese?)

This bike is worthy of looking into if you are looking for a medium to low cost hardtail that has the potential to be built into something great. The only thing you need to add is higher quality components and the justification to everyone around you as to why you are putting so much money into the bike. Gary Klein doesn't make junk and he has been making great frames for a long time, and this frame is no different. Hope this review is helpful.

P.S. Just remember, you are paying for a high quality frame here not high quality components.

1. '01 Jamis Komodo with a mostly LX components; Magura
HS-33 brakes; Judy XC; Time Pedals.......
2. '00 GT XCR 4000; Everything stock.